Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

How to remove the ripple effects in Windows 7 or Vista

How to remove the ripple effects in Windows 7 or Vista

Postby Wacom1 » Fri 11. Nov 2011, 14:17

Note: This article applies only to Windows 7 or Vista! For Windows 8 see How To Remove The Ripple Effects In Windows 8? 

Windows Vista and Windows 7 contain some helpers for users of tablets or TabletPCs.
There are two ripple effects which are often not wished:

Press and hold to right-click shows a big solid ripple when activated. This can be easily disabled, but with this change the user loses the ability to trigger a right-click from the pen tip itself.
The second effect is a lighter, "raindrop"-like effect that can be seen when the pen tip touches the tablet (trigger a click). Removing this effect does not change any functionality in Windows, but needs a change in the registry.

1. Press and hold to right click
The big ripple effect when pressing and holding to right-click can be easily switched off:
  • Open the PEN AND TOUCH settings from the CONTROL PANEL.
  • Change to the PEN OPTIONS tab.
  • Select PRESS AND HOLD from the list of pen actions and click SETTINGS.
  • Uncheck ENABLE PRESS AND HOLD FOR RIGHT-CLICKING to remove the "ripple" effect.

2. Pen tip click effect
The small, raindrop-like effect when tapping the pen on the tablet can unfortunately not be switched off from any Windows configuration tool. It needs to be switched off by setting a key in the registry:
Code: Select all
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC] "TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000001

Setting the dword value to 00000000 enables the effect again.
This is a change which can be done in the regedit.exe or from the Windows group policy editor.
Wacom1

Re: How to remove the ripple effects in Windows 7 or Vista

Postby zeufparis » Thu 12. Jan 2012, 13:26

Hi,
To change the registry easely, you can create a text file (not with word, with notepad for example) and put the following lines in it :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC]
"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC]
"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000001

Then save it (penoff.reg) with the REG extension (not TXT extension). Just run it, click YES to all the questions and restart your computer.

And to stop the latency, don't forget to turn off the flicks in the FLICKS tab.

Wacom rocks !!!
zeufparis

Postby nixxle » Fri 27. Jul 2012, 11:21

This register key addition does not work for Windows 8 I'm affraid. Hoping for an update .. <3
nixxle

Postby Toastcartoons1 » Mon 17. Sep 2012, 20:12

Hello all!

Hope you can help...I am struggling to remove the ripple effects in spite of following these instructions. I have successfully removed the "press and hold to right click" issue but, although I have read the advice here, I am struggling to solve the "Pen tip click effect". Essentially, I have looked in my windows registry in the files given, and I do not have a "Tablet PC" entry under either

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\...
or under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\...

Essentially I can find nothing that will allow me to "TurnOffPenFeedback" as detailed in the above post, and saving a .REG file does not appear to achieve anything (possibly due to the TabletPC files not being in the registry. Am I being incredibly dopey here, or does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Many thanks!

Best regards etc
Toastcartoons1

Postby Wacom » Tue 18. Sep 2012, 08:16

Probably that is not clear enough: this registry key does not exist already, but you can create it and add it to the registry.
Wacom

Postby s12a » Fri 26. Oct 2012, 20:00

I can confirm too this does not work on Windows 8.
(I added the registry key as instructed)
s12a

Postby Big_X » Sun 16. Dec 2012, 21:38

@zeufparis.
No more ripples, no more outsize right click circle. I can't believe it after all these years. Thank you so much, monsieur. Your registry hack worked like a charm. I had to find out how to 'run' the .reg file, though (I saved 'penoff.reg' on the desktop and double clicked it) Great.
Big_X

Postby woozldoozl » Fri 22. Mar 2013, 13:23

Hi you all,
This is for Windows 7, I don´t own Vista so I don´t know if this will work in Vista
There is a way to get rid of all the unwanted effects without changing the registry. The following guide lists all the steps i took to remove the "loading-circle" effect and the "ripple" effect:

step1:
click Start in Taskbar
--> open the Control Panel
--> go to Pen and Touch
--> go to "Pen Options" tab
--> select "Press and Hold" from the list
--> click the Settings button
--> uncheck "Enable press and hold for right-clicking" and click OK

step2:
click Start in Taskbar
--> open the Control Panel
--> go to Administrative Tools
--> go to Services
--> locate the "Tablet PC Input Service" (simply click in the list and hit T to jump to the letter T in the the list)
--> right click "Tablet PC Input Service"
--> click Stop
--> right click "Tablet PC Input Service" again
--> click Properties
--> in the "General" Tab set the Startup type to disabled
--> go to the "Recovery" Tab and set the "first/second/sub failures" to "take no action"
--> change the value of "reset fail count" to 0 --> click OK

step3:

unplug and reconnect your Tablet

no need to download files or fiddle in the registry even checked the registry entries : still are set to a dword value of 0
Schlüsselname:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TabletPC
Klassenname:            <KEINE KLASSE>
Letzter Schreibzugriff: 22.03.2013 - 13:26
Wert 0
  Name:            TurnOffPenFeedback
  Typ:             REG_DWORD
  Daten:           0

changing it via the gpedit.msc or by hand had no effect whatsoever

hope this helps anyone still having trouble with Windows7 and their Tablets
woozldoozl

Postby himinwin » Mon 8. Apr 2013, 10:04

thank you @woozldoozl. that is perfect! i also (like others) could not locate the registry key for tabletpc. your instructions were clear, concise, and more importantly, it worked! and it's nice not to have to mess with the registry. i made an account just so i could post.

also thank you @wacom1, your instructions were correct for removing one of the ripple effects for me.

i am running a wacom intuos4 on windows 7 64bit. i hated the ripple effects immediately, they were too distracting.
himinwin

Postby yacib » Tue 16. Apr 2013, 08:16

I'm struggling with the Pen tip click effect "raindrop-like effect" I don't understand what i'm suppost to do, I open the registry but I don't find TabletPC, can someone help?
yacib

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions