Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Autocad LT 2009 + Intuos + Tablet Overlay

Autocad LT 2009 + Intuos + Tablet Overlay

Postby Carl » Tue 11. Aug 2009, 09:09

Dear All,

I'm currently looking for a tablet that I can use in Autocad2009 LT. Since I'm doing mostly mechanical designs I need to enter a lot of fixed values in my drawings. The combination of using a tablet and a keyboard at the same time does not appeal to me: reason: durwing the drawing I want my deskspace as clear as possible. I think the solution can be a Tablet combined with an overlay for Autocad (see for example the enclosed picture). Now the big question is: Does the Intuos support the use of a custom inlay? I could find some information regardign this subject but I'm still not sure. Also I have read somewhere that the "Wireless Pen Tablet" supports the use of Inlays but unfortunately there is no touch ring in that product and I think that I will really need that for zooming functionality. Maybe there are even better suggestions or maybe the Intuos4 is OK. I'm think that the A4 versions is large enough but please advice.

Best Regards,
Carl

Carl

Re: Autocad LT 2009 + Intuos + Tablet Overlay

Postby Wacom » Tue 11. Aug 2009, 09:29

AutoCAD fully supports the use of menu sheets with Wacom tablets. The sample menu coming with AutoCAD can be customized as needed. The menu is optimized for A4 Oversize (Intuos3 only) or A3 tablets (Intuos 4 XL, see http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?lang=en&pid=253). If a smaller tablet should be used, the menu would have to be adjusted accordinlgy.
Wacom

Postby Carl » Tue 11. Aug 2009, 10:14

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
However, I'm afraid that I did not ask my question correctly.
Please allow me to reframe my question: I understand that Autocad supports the use of menu sheets. The thing that I do not understand is the following: Can it be possible (and usefull) to visualize the location of the menu's on the board itself ? Maybe I can print out the menu and put it under the cover of the Tablet ? Or maybe I can order pre-printed cover that I can stick on the cover of the Tablet ?

Best Regards,
Carl
Carl

Postby Wacom » Wed 12. Aug 2009, 09:33

The purpose of these menus is exactly how you describe it: you first print out the menu sheet and put it underneath the transparent overlay of an Intuos4 XL. Then you perform a calibration using the AutoCAD built-in calibration feature for tablets, so that AutoCAD "knows" about the button and viewport position as printed on the paper menu.

The menu sheet actually consists of two layers: the drawing layer shows the buttons and can be edited and printed like any other CAD drawing. The second layer is the "command layer" specifying which commands to be carried carried out when clicking respective areas on the menu sheet placed on the tablet, so it's basically the representation of the menu sheet telling AutoCAD what to do when clicking button XY. The command layer can be customized as well.

All this functionality is fully supported by our tablets in connection with AutoCAD.
Wacom

Postby Carl » Wed 12. Aug 2009, 11:09

Great, thank you very much for your clear answer.

I have got one more question: In your reply you explain the following

you first print out the menu sheet and put it underneath the transparent overlay of an Intuos4 XL

Is it also possible that I place the printed menu sheet under the transparent underlay for the Intuos4 L, M and S, or is the XL version the only version with an transparent overlay ?

Best regards,
Carl
Carl

Postby Wacom » Wed 12. Aug 2009, 11:45

The menu sheet coming with AutoCAD is designed for larger-sized tablets, however, it's basically possible to do menu sheet also for smaller-sized tablets.

For tablets smaller than the XL version, you'll need an optional transparent overlay sheet, as the original ones shipping with smaller tablets are black. Overlay sheets are available in our online store.
Wacom

Postby plotstyle » Thu 10. Sep 2009, 14:05

Carl
Hi, I have been using AutoCAD LT for about 3 years with with an Intuous 3 (smallest one for travelling with my laptop) - It's fantastic. I have a mouse on my left side for zooming, use the pen button for panning. No more RSI! Super fast - Struggle to use a mouse now.
When I initially got it I tried in vain to set up an overlay with commands. I gave up - couldn't get it to work, googled, spoke to Waconto no avail, so I just use the tablet as a pointing device.

Please please please - if you get it working with menus and commands let me know - I would love to use it that way.

Here's hoping.

Marcus
plotstyle

Postby Wacom » Thu 10. Sep 2009, 14:29

What happes, when you try it ? Make sure to have the correct driver version - some drivers do not work well with AutoCAD/AcadLT, and that you have selected 'Wintab compatible digitizer' in the AcadLT Options. For the menu configuration in Acad2009 you need to use 'tablet cfg' directly at the command prompt, as the option is not accessible in the menus.
Wacom

Postby Carl » Tue 15. Sep 2009, 11:11

Dear Marcus,

I have now recieved my Intios 4 L and I will try to set up the menu sheet option. As soon as I have it up and running I will post here again. Unfortunately due to some large projects it will take a little time for me to try but I will let you know.

Best regards,
Carl
Carl

Postby Carl » Sun 20. Sep 2009, 14:57

Hi Marcus,

After a long struggle I have got it working for aprox 80%.

First Let me explain how I have set things up:

I have installed the windows Wacom drivers on the PC (Win XP-pro, SP3).

Then I have plotted the "Tablet Overlay.dwg" (stored in Autocad Samples folder, located in the installation directory). I have temporarely attached the printed paper version of the overlay to my tablet using some tape (we don't want to move it during set-up).

Start autocad and go to the options screen (Press "A">"Tools">"Options" or type "options")
Choose the current pointing device "Wintab compatible digitizer ADI 4.2". Now go to the tablet settings and choose configure (to get to the settings: Press "A">"Tools">"Tablet">"Configure" or type "tablet" and type "cfg").

Now Autocad will start asking questions regarding the locations of the overlay. Details are in the following command log:

Command: TABLET
Enter an option [ON/OFF/CAL/CFG]: CFG
Enter number of tablet menus desired (0-4) <4>: 4
Do you want to align tablet menu areas? [Yes/No] <N>: y
Digitize upper left corner of menu area 1: //click with digitizer on A of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower left corner of menu area 1: //click with digitizer on B of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower right corner of menu area 1://click with digitizer on C of overlay (see picture)
Enter the number of columns for menu area 1, (1-31729) <9>: 9
Enter the number of rows for menu area 1, (1-11248) <25>: 25
Digitize upper left corner of menu area 2: //click with digitizer on B of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower left corner of menu area 2://click with digitizer on D of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower right corner of menu area 2: //click with digitizer on E of overlay (see picture)
Enter the number of columns for menu area 2, (1-13810) <11>: 11
Enter the number of rows for menu area 2, (1-11344) <9>: 9
Digitize upper left corner of menu area 3: //click with digitizer on F of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower left corner of menu area 3: //click with digitizer on G of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower right corner of menu area 3: //click with digitizer on H of overlay (see picture)
Enter the number of columns for menu area 3, (1-3842) <9>:
Enter the number of rows for menu area 3, (1-11358) <13>:
Digitize upper left corner of menu area 4: //click with digitizer on D of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower left corner of menu area 4: //click with digitizer on I of overlay (see picture)
Digitize lower right corner of menu area 4: //click with digitizer on J of overlay (see picture)
Enter the number of columns for menu area 4, (1-31611) <25>:
Enter the number of rows for menu area 4, (1-8940) <7>:
Do you want to respecify the Fixed Screen Pointing Area? [Yes/No] <N>: y
Digitize lower left corner of Fixed Screen pointing area: //click with digitizer on E of overlay
Digitize upper right corner of Fixed Screen pointing area: //click with digitizer on F of overlay
Do you want to specify the Floating Screen Pointing area? [Yes/No] <N>: n

Note that I have not yet found out what the purpose of the "Floating Screen Pointing area" is therefore I have choosen "N", but maybe "Y" is the better choice.

Now after setting up the tablet I have tested it by first drawing a line and then after that press the "Quit" in the bottom-right corner of the overlay. This worked perfect. Please note that not all buttons are working OK, Tablet Menu3 works perfectly though. In the following image I have placed a detailed image of tablet menu3. The image explains how functions defined in CUI ("A">"Tools">"Customize">"Interface" or type "CUI") are mapped to the tablet.

For me setting up the CFG of the tablet was the most complex part, reason: I can't find an explanation of the placement of the menus anywhere (neither in the manuals of Wacom nor in the help-files of autocad nor on the online forums). What I have done to find out which part goes where is going to the CUI>Legacy>Tablet Menu's and write things down and due to the empty places (see previous image) it took a while time to recognize the pattern).

Now I believe the tablet is set-up properly. Unfortunately Tablet menu2 and tablet menu4 do not work perfectly, it appears that not all buttons are mapped correctly. I think that the default .cui file of Acad2009LT does not fully match the included "Tablet Overlay.dwg".

Am I the only one who has got this problem or is this never tested with Autocad2009LT?

At least now that we understand how it works we can start building our own overlay. Although setting up from scratch is a lot of work spend in the CUI menu and I think that this will bring the opposite result of preventing RSI.

I hope that Wacom or Autocad are willing to help us to a pre-made version (to which we only need to make small customizations), a new .cui file or a new "Tablet Overlay.dwg" file, or both?

I'm looking forward to your and Wacom's reply.

Best regards,
Carl
Carl

Next

Return to Intuos / Intuos Pro