Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Mouse click lag when switching from pen to mouse in PS CC

Mouse click lag when switching from pen to mouse in PS CC

Postby Carlos bcn » Sun 13. Oct 2013, 15:12

Hello,

I have the very same issue, or a very similar one, as this other person (Cintiq in his case).

Anyway I'll describe the problem: while using Photoshop CC 14.1 in Windows 8 Pro with my Intuos Pro (driver 6.3.6-3), if I am using the pen+tablet and then switch to using a physical mouse, everything's fine the first time I click, but from the second mouse left click onwards, all my clicks with the mouse have a lag of half a second aproximately (only when clicking in the document canvas area, not in the interface itself - menus, tools, etc).

If then I switch to the pen again, click with the pen in the tablet (always fine here, no problem), then switch back to the mouse, same thing happens: the first left click with the mouse works ok again, but as before, any further left mouse click on the canvas will have a lag.

I've tried unchecking the "Windows ink", and I've also unchecked some elements in Windows control panel "Pen and touch input" to no avail. Touch input is disabled both in Windows and Wacom properties.

I use the tablet in "left hand" mode, and in "mouse mode", although same thing happen in "pen mode".

What else could I try? Would a previous driver version be useful to me, or would it cause me more troubles with Win8? (I just bought the tablet a couple weeks ago, I was using version 6.3.6-3, now updated to 6.3.7-5, no change in this regard). Please, I need to be able to work faster with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have enough nuissance alone with the reduced hover height when working in mouse mode. This tablet is a perfect example of a wonderful product that -in specific cases like mine- is almost useless or desperating just because such small problems. I more or less can get used to the reduced hover height in mouse mode, but since I very often switch from pen to mouse (I use pen with my left hand, mouse with my right one), the lag is a very troublesome situation for me.

Thanks for any help with this.

[Edit: Out of desperation, I just enabled touch input, and I noticed that the same thing happens when using it on the tablet - everything I do with fingers works fine the first time if my previous interaction was using the pen, but the following finger movements also are delayed.]

[Edit 2: The problem is the same one described in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1228545 - as usual, Adobe says this is a tablet driver problem, and I guess Wacom will say this is an application issue...]
Last edited by Carlos bcn on Thu 17. Oct 2013, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos bcn

Re: Mouse click lag when switching from pen to mouse in PS C

Postby Wacom » Mon 14. Oct 2013, 13:14

Unfortunately for the new Intuos Pro tablet you cannot revert to drivers older than version 6.36. Does the problem happen only in Photoshop or in other software as well ? Did your turn off the 'Press and Hold to rightclick' and disable use Windows Ink for Photoshop AND for 'all other apps' as well ? And did you try changing some settings for the regular mouse (doubleclick time, speed) ? And since you are using Windows 8, did you try changing the touch delay registry settings, that can also affect a delayed response: Change the value for the following keys from 8 to 2:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPrediction\Legacy
and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPrediction\sample time
Wacom

Postby Carlos bcn » Mon 14. Oct 2013, 14:56

Hello:

Thanks for your answer. Yes, the problem only happens in Photoshop CC. In fact, it only happens when clicking in the canvas (the image), I mean, clicks in the menus are instantaneous always, regardless of whether I'm using mouse or pen, or it's the first or 20th click after switching. The lag happens only when using tools as marquee, lassoo, the shortcut for zooming in/out (ctrl+space+clic + mouse left/right), etc.

I have tried your advice:

- "Press and hold to rightclick" is already disabled in Windows settings ("pen and input devices").

- "Windows ink" is disabled everywhere (it appears as a "grip pen" setting, and I have only the generic profile there - I also tried adding a Photoshop specific one with the same settings (ink off) but, as expected, made no difference). Well, unluckily my drivers are in spanish and I can't change the language (translation is not very good), but I assume Windows ink is this checkbox stroked in red:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2874/fvs.gif <--- clic to see image

- Settings for the regular mouse: I had not changed them in Windows control panel so far, but now I've tried increasing and decreasing some settings and it makes no difference regarding this issue (although if you think a specific combination of settings might help, let me know). Same thing for logitech game software, which also includes parameters for my mouse, changing settings doesn't help either.

- I tried the registry modifications (I assume Legacy meant "latency"), I rebooted to be sure the changes were in effect, but again, nothing changed regarding this problem. Just in case it might cause other troubles in the future, I've gone and restored the original values (8 and 8) after doing this test.

Anyway, please note that I have the same trouble on a Windows 7 machine. At first I thought it was something related to Win8, but I later noticed that in my Windows 7 laptop, the tablet works okay with Photoshop CS5 and CS6, but it's only the CC version (the one I use) that exhibits this strange behaviour when switching from pen to mouse.

Since I've done like a hundred tests by now, I've also noticed that, every now and then (maybe one time out of 12) I can switch from pen to mouse and everything is fine. This happens very rarely for no specific reason. But most of the time, the mouse lags from the second clic onwards (after switching from the pen to my normal mouse on the desk).

I am almost sure this must be something they've done in Photoshop CC, but I also assume that, if you (Wacom) are able to reproduce this problem with Photoshop CC, maybe you could fix it eventually in the drivers, since so far Adobe is not showing much interest...

If you have any additional ideas about what to try, or if I can provide any kind of information that could lead to pinpoint the cause of this issue, please let me know!!

Thanks again for your quick answer.
Carlos bcn

Postby Wacom » Tue 15. Oct 2013, 15:01

Next try to start CC while pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift in order to reset it to defaults, and when using it turn off the windows for histogram, history, etc. We have reports that you can get delays, when that is shown.
Wacom

Postby Carlos bcn » Tue 15. Oct 2013, 23:54

Thanks again for the suggestion, but I already tried reinstalling twice in my laptop, even removing the preferences. No change. As for hidding the palettes, I've tried hidding them all and no change either.

I know that sometimes the solution is something unexpected or apparently unrelated, so I'm open to try anything - even if it seems a very long shot. But that being said, I am almost a hundred per cent positive that this is not something I can fix changing any setting, or a performance issue, since it's not a "permanent" error. I mean that if I open Photoshop and I exclusively use the mouse, everything is 100% smooth. Then I switch to the pen, everything is 100% smooth. Then I switch from pen to mouse, and here comes the lag (well, sometimes it takes a couple of pen-mouse switches for the lag to appear, but once it's there, it will not go away). It's something very specific to the way the mouse clicks are read from then on.

It's as if the pen (or Photoshop itself) was setting some kind of "flag" that is not "reset" when switching back to the mouse, and interferes with the way Photoshop reads the left mouse clic. Although Adobe blames it on the driver, I'm almost sure it's something they've done in Photoshop CC, since the same tablet and driver works 100% fine with CS5 and CS6. The only variable that makes the issue appear is "CC". [Edit: Maybe not, since I've read that some people are experiencing this issue also with CS6]

When I have the time, I might try to remap the left mouse click to send some kind of raw code (or combination of them) with autohotkey (wonderful application that I often use) and see what happens, although I don't cherish too much hope.

If eventually you are able to reproduce this bug or anything new comes up, let me know. Meanwhile, I will have to put up with this, wait for a future CC update or Wacom driver release, and cross my fingers. Thanks again for your quick support, it's much appreciated.
Carlos bcn

Postby Mihkel » Sun 20. Oct 2013, 19:23

I have exactly same issue with Photoshop cs6 64bit, but with 32bit version it works fine.
Mihkel

Postby MartinNH » Thu 24. Oct 2013, 12:21

Hi Wacom

I seem to be having this problem as well. Every mouseclick in CC applications is followed by a slight lag before it registers. This isn't the case with the pen, but seems related to the Wacom driver as others have written.

Is there any new development in this matter?

Fully updated CC, newest Wacom driver, windows 8.1. Oh and I should mention that this happens with my Cintiq 24HD, but I found this thread and thought it would make sense to post here. Killing all tablet related processes eliminates the problem but renders my tablet useless.
MartinNH

Postby adrvrs » Thu 24. Oct 2013, 22:19

I have the same problem, mouse lags after using tablet in Photoshop. Please fix it.

Win 7 64, PS CC, Intuos 5 (non touch), Latest Drivers.
adrvrs

Postby Carlos bcn » Fri 25. Oct 2013, 15:02

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 in the hopes that it might fix this issue, but it has been just the opposite - not only the "mouse lag after switching from pen" is the same as before, but now the tablet driver exhibits several malfunctions and bugs randomly (or at least I haven't been able to find a pattern yet). I have decided to post them in a separate thread.

So, back to the original problem, I've been doing some research on my own and, so far, it seems that this issue is not universally experimented in previous Photoshop versions, but it seems to happen for everybody in Photoshop CC. I've installed the trial of PS CC and latest Wacom drivers in 5 different PC machines and exactly the same happens in all of them, so I don't think this is a coincidence or a rare bug.

I assume that Wacom support have access to Creative Cloud suscription, so if they are reading this, it would be nice to know if they can confirm to NOT be experimenting this issue with CC, because I start to wonder it they have been able to check it.

Again, thanks for any help for Wacom, and thanks for future driver updates.
Carlos bcn

Postby pinkbunkadoo » Fri 25. Oct 2013, 19:13

I am experiencing this EXACT same issue with my Wacom Intuos 3 and Adobe Photoshop CC (64 and 32 bit). Using the tablet at all in Photoshop seems to permenantly sabotage mouse functionality from then onwards. Only a restart of the application restores the mouse to normality. After a fresh install of my entire system the problem still persists and is starting to get incredibly irritating.
pinkbunkadoo

Next

Return to Intuos / Intuos Pro