Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Intuos5 nibs flattening quickly

Intuos5 nibs flattening quickly

Postby swpryor » Thu 1. Mar 2012, 14:02

Hi Wacom,
Does the Intuos5 have a rough 'paper-like' surface, or a smooth surface?

Thank you,
Sam
swpryor

Re: Intuos5 nibs flattening quickly

Postby Wacom » Thu 1. Mar 2012, 15:13

From the Online FAQ for Intuos5: To address the nib wear that some customers previously reported, we introduced a new active area surface overlay with Intuos4 in January 2010. Intuos5 has this same proven overlay sheet.

As with traditional media such as pencil, charcoal, and pastels, any tool or pen used on a textured surface will wear after continuous use, including the Intuos nibs. This is normal as the nib is intentionally designed to be softer than the surface sheet to avoid wear on the sheets. This wear occurs faster or slower depending on the smoothness of the surface, hours of usage, the type of nib and the amount of pressure applied when used.

Please note that replaceable surface sheets are provided only for the Intuos5 non touch model PTK-650. The surface sheets for Intuos5 touch are not customer replaceable.
Wacom

Postby james_m » Thu 1. Mar 2012, 22:14

Please note that replaceable surface sheets are provided only for the Intuos5 non touch model PTK-650. The surface sheets for Intuos5 touch are not customer replaceable.

That is a little concerning, since you say here: "The surface changes with usage and gets slippery. In this case the sheet should be replaced with a new one." I would like to get an Intuos5 with the new touch features, but I'd probably do without them in favour of a standard tablet with a longer life. How long would you expect the surface to last (eg. for the typical designer who uses it every working day)? How expensive is it to have the (touch) surface replaced by Wacom? Thanks.
james_m

Postby Wacom » Fri 2. Mar 2012, 10:05

Since the touch sensor is integrated into the surface and has electronics to connect, you cannot exchange it yourself. - At the moment we do not have any replacements yet for the surface with touch and I cannot say, how much it will be. But we will offer replacements at a nominal price.
Wacom

Postby dnmoqf » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 22:46

Caveat: Well, my last model was an Intuos 3, and I am only an off and on hobbyist and I just got it (today).
I really like drawing with the Intuos 5 new surface, I think it definitively feels more "paper-y".
However this seems to come with a price. People are reporting that nibs wear down more quickly (not used mine enough to really say), and when using the touch functionality your fingers "catches" a little more easily on the Intuos 5 type surface. Of course I can't really do touch on the Intuos 3, but I can still test the surface with my fingers.
So I guess it is a trade-off. Is it worth it? At least for me it's a matter of only time will tell...
dnmoqf

Postby swpryor » Tue 6. Mar 2012, 23:45

Can you just simply make a version that uses the nice smooth surface that my intuos2 has?
swpryor

Postby Macow » Thu 8. Mar 2012, 17:53

swpryor wrote:Can you just simply make a version that uses the nice smooth surface that my intuos2 has?

Try putting on a piece of transparent plastic, the one cut from document folder will do - it is very smooth... I know, not a best solution on Earth, works pretty good though.
Macow

Postby SiNN3R » Fri 9. Mar 2012, 11:40

@Wacom: You wrote the surface sheets for the touch versions are not customer replacable.
Would the Intuos5 touch be damaged if I put an adhesive protection film (like the ones used for mobile phones) on it? Would it impair the tablet's functionality?
Thx!
SiNN3R

Postby titan » Wed 28. Mar 2012, 13:51

@Wacom
I'm interested in purchasing new Intuos5.
Macow wrote:Try putting on a piece of transparent plastic, the one cut from document folder will do - it is very smooth... I know, not a best solution on Earth, works pretty good though.

I guess that "pen mode" would work with piece of transparent plastic but what about the "touch mode"? Will it work too?

Wacom wrote:Please note that replaceable surface sheets are provided only for the Intuos5 non touch model PTK-650. The surface sheets for Intuos5 touch are not customer replaceable.

Wacom wrote:Since the touch sensor is integrated into the surface and has electronics to connect, you cannot exchange it yourself. - At the moment we do not have any replacements yet for the surface with touch and I cannot say, how much it will be. But we will offer replacements at a nominal price.

Do you have such services in Poland?
titan

Postby gregtaylorart » Sat 19. May 2012, 16:42

I went Intuos 3 ->4 on release, and hated the surface.. I'm a digital painter, not drawer, and the texture simply slows down my process, sharpens the tip of the nibs and in turn, damaging the surface. I really do not think Wacom should use these, the only benefit I can see is to Wacom for replacement profits. I think it would be wise to revert to the Intuos 3 surface period.

Solution ->

I really liked the side panel (not the touch ring, I use a separate tool now because I miss the strips from I3)... So I stayed with the Intuos 4 L, to fix the surface however I did the following...

Ebay - Perspex sheet custom, I emailed some suppliers and asked for a cut of black thin perspex to fit just larger than the sheet on the tablet. I then carefully filed the edges smooth, and stuck it on with double sided adhesive pads which you can buy from hardware stores. I have used this setup since, and it has been perfect. There seems to be no difference in sensitivity, yet the surface is super smooth, 0 pen wear in Years of use, and super speedy painting allowing me to concentrate on the art, instead of fidgeting with the nibs.

Hope that helps some people with the problems I was having.
gregtaylorart

Next

Return to Intuos / Intuos Pro