Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Art Pen KP 701E 01 problem with Cintiq 24HD

Art Pen KP 701E 01 problem with Cintiq 24HD

Postby VitOne » Thu 29. Sep 2011, 11:59

I am using Windows 7 64 and I tried to clean install the drivers of the tablet (un-install, restart, install l again) 2 times. At the moment I am using only the drivers without any “mod” (anyway I will try the Pressure Curve Tool to see if this helps). With the standard pen (that comes with the Cintiq 24HD) I have no problems.

With the art Pen I have two different problems related to pen pressure:

1) If I press too low the computer recognize 2 double clicks continuously. Using the “sensitivity details” (I hope this is the correct translation, I have the drivers in Italian) and going to the test area I can see that no setting changes this behavior. Maybe is a problem of the Windows Tablet drivers/service? Anyway this happens only with the Art Pen.

2) I think I never reached the max pressure value (looking in the “current pressure” indicator in the drivers) also pressing a lot. Anyway I would never press so much while drawing, I don’t want to get problems with my wrist and I don’t want to scratch the tablet.

Any suggestion are welcome.
VitOne

Re: Art Pen KP 701E 01 problem with Cintiq 24HD

Postby Wacom » Thu 29. Sep 2011, 12:06

The driver has a diagnostics panel with more details under About/Info -> diagnose. Test pentip and eraser as well. You can get a slightly differen diagnostics when you press Ctrl (or Alt on a Mac) while clicking on the diagnose button. It may also help to try a different nib.
Wacom

Postby VitOne » Thu 29. Sep 2011, 17:47

I think that my Art Pen has some problems.

Look this video and listen the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZWBv2iiQk
First 4 lines done without problems with the standard pen.
Then 3 lines done with the Art Pen. The third line shows some serious problem. If you hear the sound (from sec 18) you can hear that I am applying a force with the nib, there is friction between the nib and the screen but nothing appears. I have done other tests like this and I tried to made some drawings but if I don’t apply a lot of pressure the lines always have some problem. This is not happening with the default pen and I am using the same exact “technique” to draw.

In this other video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Aso0v483lI I am first using the Art Pen to draw 4 straight lines and then I use the standard pen to draw 4 other straight lines. Using the same exact “technique”. As you can see when I release the nib from the screen it seems that the computer sees an input that I never give. The end of the lines made with the Art Pen is never “clean” and I am experiencing a lot of times while I draw the problem that you can see in line number 3 and 4. It seems that there is a “deviation”.

Please noticed that:

1) Have installed and un-installed again the drivers a couple of times.

2) I have tried all the 4 nibs that came with the art pen, both the felt and the plastic nib, both the “highlighter” shape and the “rounded” shape.

If I go to the diagnostic information panel I can see that with the standard pen the lower input pressure is detected properly. With the Art Pen it seems that the input pressure jumps from 0 to 20% without any lower value. I sometimes could get lower values, but always with the cursor “flashing” (same thing that it does when you touch the screen to make a “single click” but it does it continuously, like a strobe).

Pressing really hard I could reach 100% pressure value in the Diagnostic tool, but I really applied a lot of force, I would never draw like this. The eraser on the back of the Art Pen is working fine, like the standard pen nib and eraser.
VitOne

Postby VitOne » Thu 29. Sep 2011, 18:07

Another video. I am applying pressure only between the green lines. First the standard pen that comes with the Cintiq 24HD (black lines). Than the ArtPen (red lines). As you can see also if I release pressure where the green line I get another input and another stretch is mad, in the direction where I move the nib. But the nib is no longer in contact with the surface.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcL_-vIXunw
VitOne

Postby VitOne » Thu 29. Sep 2011, 19:42

I tested the ArtPen on the Intuos 4 Wireless. It works, no problems at all. So the problem that I have is that this ArtPen is not working properly with the Cintiq 24HD. It there a problem with my Cintiq 24HD or the Art Pen is simply not 100% compatible?
VitOne

Postby VitOne » Tue 11. Oct 2011, 18:49

I am waiting for an answer from Wacom. My Cintiq 24HD will be replaced, but I would like to have a confirmation that the Art Pen KP 701E 01 will work correctly on the Cintiq 24HD. Is there anybody inside (and outside) Wacom that has personally tested the Cintiq 24HD with the KP 701E 01 and can guarantee that this two products will work flawlessly together? Thanks.
VitOne

Postby Wacom » Wed 12. Oct 2011, 11:44

I have checked this with a colleage who did many tests with the Artpen on the Cintiq24. He can see the same problem because the software filters the Artpen data differently than the regular pen, but only in Photoshop. At the moment he recommends to stop the movement with the Artpen at the end before lifting it. - As this appears to be a problem in the software, we hope it can be fixed in the tablet driver or in Photoshop. - Sorry I have no other advice right now.
Wacom

Postby VitOne » Thu 13. Oct 2011, 19:03

Thanks.

I was experiencing problems also with other programs and in the Wacom driver panel, so maybe my Art Pen was defective. I sent back the ArtPen with the Cintiq 24HD. I hope to receive the ArtPen back soon and that the problem will be fixed with new drivers.
VitOne

Postby VitOne » Wed 19. Oct 2011, 11:12

I have been told by 2 other users of the Cintiq 24HD that they have the same problem that I am experiencing with the ArtPen (“false lines” and non-proper pressure detection). Not only in Photoshop, also in Sketchbook and other software.

I am disappointed because I asked you to tell me what Art Pen was the right one for the Cintiq 24HD before purchasing it. Maybe if would be a better idea, next time, to test a product before suggesting it.

I really hope that new drivers that fix this problem will be soon available. I have reported the problem on the 29th of September, can you please tell me when this problem will be solved?
I sent my ArtPen with the Cintiq 24HD one week ago and I am waiting for it to come back. I have emailed the support about this, I can use it on the Intous4.

Please let me know:

1) If you can confirm that this is only a driver problem.
2) A release date for new drivers (I don’t ask for the exact day, but I would like to know how long I have to wait).

Thanks.
VitOne

Postby jonstatt » Wed 19. Oct 2011, 12:15

I must be doing something differently or not fully understanding how to replicate. But I have tried in Photoshop and Corel painter with the art pen and I cannot get any lines to just fail to draw properly like your YouTube video. I tried about 100 lines and they all drew perfectly. I am probably missing something you are doing.
jonstatt

Next

Return to Cintiq / PL