Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you are not able to register, please use the trial version of the software below and try to register again at a later date.

Wacom Drivers:
December 2018: New driver released for Windows (6.3.32-4) and Mac (6.3.32-3). Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Windows 10 Fall 2018 Update:
Updating to the newest Windows 10 Fall update? Wacom has identified a few issues within the latest update. Pan/Scroll is not working correctly in some applications. Also, Modifier Clicks do not work when assigned to pen buttons or ExpressKeys, see the screenshot below. The Wacom driver team has submitted a bug report with Microsoft for these issues and will continue to work with them until it is fixed. More information can be found here: here

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave:
Upgrading to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? A new Mac OSX security feature requires some additional changes to run the Wacom Driver correctly. Please see the instructions found on our support page here. Also, If you have any issues, please try a clean driver install. Follow the steps here.

Connecting Companion 2 to Macbook Pro

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
Ephiii

Connecting Companion 2 to Macbook Pro

Postby Ephiii » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 17:04

Hello everyone,

has anyone had any luck connecting a Companion 2 to a new Macbook Pro (those with USB-c ports only)?
I tried two different hubs/adapters to plug in the HDMI and USB parts of the cable that comes with the companion.
Wacom Driver 6.3.15-3 installed, but it says that no Wacom device is found (and if I switch on the Companion 2 it boots up in standalone mode).
(Macbook running on OS 10.13.6)

All the help I could get so far from Wacom email support was "maybe it's a problem with the cable or the adapter" but no real suggestions how to fix it. I'm getting a bit desperate.

I'd greatly appreciate any help or hints (or recommendations for adapters/hubs that have been tested to work). Thank you very much in advance!

wacom5

Re: Connecting Companion 2 to Macbook Pro

Postby wacom5 » Fri 7. Dec 2018, 09:38

Hi. You should start by installing the latest driver on your Mac. Driver 6.3.15-3 is not supported in 10.13.6.
If you haven't already, make sure you install the Hybrid Utility update: https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support/product-support/other?pid=undefined
For cables, I haven't tested yet so I can't recommend something specific. Just try an different adaptor. If you suspect that there is an issue with the 2-in-1 cable, you should contact customer support then: https://support.wacom.com/

Ephiii

Postby Ephiii » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 23:24

Hey there,

thanks for your reply. I have updated my driver to the latest version (6.3.32-3) and installed the hybrid utility update on my companion.
I still get the same result ("no compatible tablet found" on my Macbook and the connected Companion 2 starts up in standalone mode).
I tried with two different adapters, same result. Are there any specific requirements an adapter would have to fulfill that I could look for?
(I don't think it's a problem with the cable as it's the original one that came with the tablet.)

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Mon 17. Dec 2018, 15:53

There are no special requirements. The connection is very straight forward. Have you complete all the firmware / bios updates if you have any available?
I still wouldn't exclude the issue being with the 2-in-1 cable.
Try the following:
1. Boot the Companion 2
2. Connect it to your Mac
3. Send the Companion 2 to Sleep mode from the Windows menu.

If you don't achieve any results, please reach out to our support.

Ephiii

Postby Ephiii » Tue 18. Dec 2018, 20:46

Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions! I feel like I'm one step closer.
I tested the connection with a colleague's Macbook today which is the previous Macbook model that still has an HDMI and USB port (so no adapter needed). With hers, hybrid mode worked when I did it as you described (putting the Companion in sleep mode).
I also installed the latest BIOS update and tried again with my own Macbook. Now it's being recognized by my Macbook as an input device (even without sleep mode). However, the Companion says "no input signal" and doesn't operate as a screen. It stays black and basically acts like a (pretty buggy) non-display tablet. But after some wonky clicks with the pen it stops working again.
Any ideas how (or if?) I can get it to properly work? (This gave me a tiny bit of hope ^^)

PS: Unfortunately, (German) Wacom support so far hasn't been helpful at all and failed to provide a single constructive suggestion beyond "maybe your cable is broken", "sorry, your Macbook is not compatible" and then "try the Wacom Link, maybe that works" (even though, as far as I can gather, the Wacom Link doesn't even have an HDMI port?)

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Wed 19. Dec 2018, 09:55

Ephiii wrote:Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions! I feel like I'm one step closer.
I tested the connection with a colleague's Macbook today which is the previous Macbook model that still has an HDMI and USB port (so no adapter needed). With hers, hybrid mode worked when I did it as you described (putting the Companion in sleep mode).
I also installed the latest BIOS update and tried again with my own Macbook. Now it's being recognized by my Macbook as an input device (even without sleep mode). However, the Companion says "no input signal" and doesn't operate as a screen. It stays black and basically acts like a (pretty buggy) non-display tablet. But after some wonky clicks with the pen it stops working again.
Any ideas how (or if?) I can get it to properly work? (This gave me a tiny bit of hope ^^)

PS: Unfortunately, (German) Wacom support so far hasn't been helpful at all and failed to provide a single constructive suggestion beyond "maybe your cable is broken", "sorry, your Macbook is not compatible" and then "try the Wacom Link, maybe that works" (even though, as far as I can gather, the Wacom Link doesn't even have an HDMI port?)

From what you describe, it does seem to indicate that the issue with the adaptor you are using. We know that the Cintiq Companion 2 and the 2-in-1 cable work since you tested it with your friend. Please try a different HDMI to thunderbolt adaptor.

Would you have a support case number? I would like to forward your feedback to the Support team.

Ephiii

Postby Ephiii » Wed 19. Dec 2018, 10:54

Thank you!
I'll order another adaptor in that case. I know you said there are no specific requirements for that, but are you maybe able to recommend one or a reliable brand? That would be really helpful (but I understand if you can't).

My case number is #CAS-1145538-G7N4D4

Return to “Pen Computers”