News 20.07.2020:
Dear customer, due to cookie policies we cannot allow embedding pictures from 3rd party sites any more.
In case you want to show our support teams a picture, open a case at http://www.wacom.com/support/contact-support
Thanks for your understanding.

Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Support:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-916

Mac OS 10.15.4 Update:
What does the Mac OS warning message “Legacy System Extension” mean and why am I seeing it?

eStore Shipping
Please note that reduced UPS service might affect your region due to CoVid-19 situation. See updated details for UPS serviceshttps://www.ups.com/de/en/service-alerts.page?id=alert1

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

MSP 16 with external monitor blanks out

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
wacom5

Re: MSP 16 with external monitor blanks out

Postby wacom5 » Mon 27. Jan 2020, 09:58

dmeerpa wrote:
wacom5 wrote:This is great information. I will pass it along to the team. Thank you for your patience and for your thorough feedback. Hopefully this will help.

So Wacom5, we are almost 1 year later, what is the status of this still frustrating issue, because in the mean time we are already waiting 3,5 years for a solution ?
Which I personally find totally unacceptable towards your customers who bought the best of the best (at least that's what we thought) !

Maybe Wacom should also explain, why we still should buy Wacom stuff if they are clearly frustrating users and we must not expect a solution ?

We are still not entirely sure about what causes the issue. The hardware tests always confirm the hardware is fine. The team seems to have isolated the issue to the Intel Iris 550 driver and reported the issue to Intel. Updating or rolling back this driver doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Sorry but there isn't much more I can provide.
Need immediate help? Contact our Support: https://support.wacom.com

dmeerpa

Postby dmeerpa » Mon 3. Feb 2020, 16:25

wacom5 wrote:
dmeerpa wrote:
wacom5 wrote:This is great information. I will pass it along to the team. Thank you for your patience and for your thorough feedback. Hopefully this will help.

So Wacom5, we are almost 1 year later, what is the status of this still frustrating issue, because in the mean time we are already waiting 3,5 years for a solution ?
Which I personally find totally unacceptable towards your customers who bought the best of the best (at least that's what we thought) !

Maybe Wacom should also explain, why we still should buy Wacom stuff if they are clearly frustrating users and we must not expect a solution ?

We are still not entirely sure about what causes the issue. The hardware tests always confirm the hardware is fine. The team seems to have isolated the issue to the Intel Iris 550 driver and reported the issue to Intel. Updating or rolling back this driver doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Sorry but there isn't much more I can provide.

I understand you are limited in what you can do.
But already on 17. Mar 2018, I came to the conclusion that it's a driver issue with this IRIS 550 (see my post on that date).
But I think we customers deserves a lot more pressure from Wacom towards Intel.
But probably Intel find's the hardware to old to further invest in research to solve this, thanks to Wacom who denied during 2,5 years the existing of the issue.
Maybe it's time your management is aware we payed big price for a premium product, and that we are not amused with a simple "we are sorry but the product we have you doesn't work well, but's its Intel's fault".

After all we bought an all-in-one product, branded WACOM, so if it doesn't work, for us customer's ,it is the WACOM product that isn't any good, because we may expect they have contracts and SLA's with their service providers/suppliers, which is essential to be able to have a good customer satisfaction.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Tue 4. Feb 2020, 09:42

The MSP is not the only device that uses the Intel 550. Other manufacturers had the same issues we do. We extensively reported the issue to Intel and they were made aware.

miwa74

Postby miwa74 » Thu 20. Feb 2020, 13:57

Hi,
I was just reading this post and I was thinking about buying an external monitor for my wacom studio pro 16 first edition. Now I have two questions:

1.) DO I have to connect the external monitor on the USB-C in the middle where I usually charge my MSP? And if yes, how do I charge my MSP while using an external monitor? I once wanted to connect with my Macbook Pro and so I bought the Link, but I actually dont use it that way. I want to use the integrated windows system and connect to a big screen.

2.) Can I do it? Is it worth it, or do I only have trouble because of all those bugs I was reading about (Flickering screen, etc...)

3.) Can I use the Wacom Link for the external monitor or do I have to buy a new connector/cable?

Thank you in advance and greetings from germany.
miwa

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Tue 25. Feb 2020, 09:49

miwa74 wrote:1.) DO I have to connect the external monitor on the USB-C in the middle where I usually charge my MSP? And if yes, how do I charge my MSP while using an external monitor? I once wanted to connect with my Macbook Pro and so I bought the Link, but I actually dont use it that way. I want to use the integrated windows system and connect to a big screen.
You can connect the external monitor to any of the ports although I would recommend using the middle one. You can charge the device using any of the 3 USB-C ports.
miwa74 wrote:2.) Can I do it? Is it worth it, or do I only have trouble because of all those bugs I was reading about (Flickering screen, etc...)
You can. The bug doesn't seem happen to every user. It's possible that you won't ever experience it. If it is worth it or not, that's entirely up to how you want to use it.
miwa74 wrote:3.) Can I use the Wacom Link for the external monitor or do I have to buy a new connector/cable?
Wacom Link should work but might not fit your needs since it only has a Mini DisplayPort Output.

RatherBeWorking

Postby RatherBeWorking » Sun 26. Apr 2020, 21:24

Had the same problem. Downloaded "Intel graphics command center" from windows store, playing around with refresh rates took it away.
Not tech in any way, just tried everything for days and days.

My notes for getting it to work on a tv with Hdmi through a dell wb15 is: ( Sometines Display 2. = 59hz works)

MStudioPro

Display settings advanced:
Desktop resolution 1920x1080
Active:3840x2160¨
Refresh 60 hz

Display 2:
Desktop 1920x1080
Refresh: 50hz
--------------------
Intel Command
2:
1920x1080
50hz

1:
1920x1080
59 hz

Pretty sure i set the MstudioPro to 59hz in display settings advanced, but only changed in "Display adapter properties for Display 1/ Monitor.

Anyway for me the "Intel graphics command center" could make it work for me.
Draw long and prosper.

RatherBeWorking

Postby RatherBeWorking » Mon 27. Apr 2020, 12:07

I´m sorry misunderstood the threat a bit.
This thing only work for me with Photoshop. Opening another program will start the blackouts again.

I got a little smarter on my problem, maybe it can be helpful. Noticed closing the Intel command center, setting the update rate in Advanced display settings / monitor, before running the Intel command center makes a difference. I have an external tv running with Hdmi. Setting the monitor tap to 30hz, and then opening Intel command center. Worked better. This is not a fix, but something I can get to work spending 5-10 minuttes on it everytime i reboot or open another program. Again this only works for me, when only Photoshop is open.

Sorry if I waisted your time, I just got stoked that I got it to work a bit.

rodripedro22

Postby rodripedro22 » Wed 13. May 2020, 17:15

Maybe the conection is not compatible with the plug, verify that

hijarian

Postby hijarian » Sat 15. Aug 2020, 12:32

I had the same problem. I connected perfectly fine working MSP 16 to an external monitor and the monitor on MSP started blanking out in uneven intervals. When I disconnect external monitor random blank outs stopped.

I did three things:
1. In the Device Manager deleted both video adapters and let Windows reinstall both of those devices from whatever driver versions it had.
2. Set power management to "best performance", but I suspect that it's redundant.
3. The most important was to set both internal and external monitors to 60 Hz refresh rate.

Initially both monitors were set to 59 Hz refresh rate, and blanking out happened. Then I tried changing things and set the external monitor to 144 Hz (because it supports that). Blanking out started to happen a lot faster, it was almost like just a blinking screen.
Then I guessed that it's a refresh rate being incorrect, and set both of them to commonplace 60 Hz and automagically blank outs disappeared and never appeared again.

Monitor is ASUS TUF Gaming VG259. It's connected via HDMI-HDMI cable to an HDMI-TypeC adapter, which is connected to the center port of MSP 16.
Both video drivers for Intel and Nvidia cards are default ones coming with the MSP 16 and date back to year 2017.

Maybe it'll help somebody.

jonessimon050

Postby jonessimon050 » Tue 25. Aug 2020, 10:48

If you have the problem without an external monitor connected, the unit has a hardware problem and needs repair. If you have that with external monitor, make sure the Nvidia driver is updated and the cable connections and external display are working properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
US Travelers check mandatory information required for applying Sri Lanka Visa for US nationality holders here.

Return to “Pen Computers”