New user account
If you have trouble to create a new user account and do not receive a confirmation Email, please contact our customer support https://www.wacom.com/en-gb/support and we will manually approve your account.
Please send an Email in which you tell us that you agree our Wacom privacy policy. Thank you for your understanding.

Wacom Drivers
June 2018: New drivers released version 6.3.30-6 for Win and 6.3.30-2 for Mac, with various bugfixes. Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

For clicking problems with Google Chrome see:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guid ... ListPage-1

Registration
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?:https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guideTitle=How-do-I-register-my-Wacom-device%2525253F&guideId=4244ade8-634a-433c-88b4-31d83e63226c

MSP 16 with external monitor blanks out

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
dmeerpa

Re: MSP 16 with external monitor blanks out

Postby dmeerpa » Fri 16. Mar 2018, 20:12

Same Issue here MSP i7 16gb with a Samsung 32" 4K external monitor.
I found a rock stable solution, but it has an impact on performance.

I have a USB C to display port adapter (4k60hz) and another adapter from USB C to HDMI and 2 USB A 3.0

When using the USB C to display port adapter (4k60hz) at 4K 60 hz have screen flickering, even reducing it to 1080p it flickers on internal and external screen.
When using the USB C to HDMI adapter at 4K 30hz I also have screen flickering, even reducing it to 1080p it flickers on internal and external screen.

But now the nice part. When connecting both at the same time (and telling windows to clone both external monitors (that are in reality the same) I never got a single flickering. Even not under heavy load. But this means that the GPU is not driving one internal and one external 4K screen but one internal and two external 4K screens. Strange that stressing it more, give a stable result.

I also don't understand that Wacom suggest using a the Wacom link, this is only helpful when using the MSP as an external monitor on another computer.
Support from wacom is null. The Belgium support did as they were not aware of this issue, even after I send them multiple topics of this issue.
If I want, I can bring it in for a review. But if this is a general issue, they will not be able to fix it, or they should have a new revision and swap our MSPs.

dmeerpa

Postby dmeerpa » Sat 17. Mar 2018, 08:17

wacom1 wrote:Please understand that the display is handled by the graphics card and driver and that is completely independant of the tablet driver. You can uninstall the tablet driver without affecting the display. - If you have an external monitor attached and it shows nothing or blanks out sometimes: check the cable connection (USB-C ports 1 and 3 have different speed that the center USB-C port on MSP), check/update the graphics driver, lenght of cable and screen resolution. (Higher resolutions need more bandwidth and signal strength depends on cable length).

Every answer I read from Wacom on this major problem is the same, it is not us, it is somebodies else fault.
Do understand we bought a all in one device for a lot of €, in my case >3000€.
And I am unable to normally use a 1800€ Samsung 4K monitor. That worked fine on 4k with the Wacom companion 2 over DP (at 30Hz).

You can blame the monitor, cables etc.... but that same monitor and DP cable worked fine with the Wacom companion 2 and the HDMI cable works fine with my Toshiba laptop running 4K 30hz.

Using the MSP i7 16 with my Anker Premium USB C Hub 2 USB 3.1, 1 HDMI port, @4K30Hz I do have screen flickering on both internal and external screens. after going black the external display shows HDMI in the upper right corner, which means it lost the HDMI connection. Same issue if I reduce resolution to 1080p (internal, external or both screens)
Even cloning both screen gives black outs. When removing the Intel Iris 550 driver, and use the Microsoft Generic driver at 4K, I do not have issues.

Using the MSP i7 16 with my Club 3D USB 3.1 Type C to DisplayPort 1.2, I do have screen flickering on both internal and external screens @4K60Hz, @4K30Hz, @1080p. after going black the external display shows HDMI in the upper right corner, which means it lost the HDMI connection.
Even cloning both screen gives black outs. When removing the Intel Iris 550 driver, and use the Microsoft Generic driver at @4K60Hz, I do not have issues.
But using the generic driver, I can only duplicate displays not extend. But this means again, that there is no hardware issue, with the external display, cable or adapter.

Another point that shows it is not the external hardware or to high resolution, is when I go even furtur in charging the GPU.
When i use both adapters (Anker + Club 3D) at the same time. So I connect the same monitor with HDMI and DP 1.2 to the Wacom. Windows now sees 2 external monitors (that are in realitie the same), I say Windows to duplicate both external screens, and guess ? Yes, never got 1 single issue ... no matter which input I set on the monitor (HDMI or DP).
But this means that the GPU now has 3 screens to control instead of 2, and this will have impact on performance. But it also shows no hardware issues with cables, adapters or screens, nor to high resolutions).

So I guess it is a driver issue or conflict between Intel driver and Wacoms hardware (to fix with a firmware or hardware revision). Wacom is not the only one to have issues with black screen flickering, other companies have/had it to, but some solved it with firmware updates and others were lucky with a driver update. But bottom line, we bought an all in one system from Wacom, so it is Wacoms job to search a solution, and eventually take actions against Intel, in sake of customers satisfaction.

dmeerpa

Postby dmeerpa » Sun 18. Mar 2018, 14:22

Ok think I got it solved.
Yesterday I reset-ed the MSP16.
But as soon as it was windows was re-installed (without internet connection), I did have again the black outs on regular base.
So I went to the device manager, and removed the Intel Iris Graphics 550 device and its driver (was the one of feb 2018 (which means the recovery found this driver somewhere on the SSD). After restarting the MSP it installs a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, that works fine without blackout but it only clones the internal display, you can not extend. I then installed Iris550_win64_154014.4352 that I had downloaded via my other computer from the Intel site. Since I installed that driver it didn't had any blackouts. But as soon as you connect to the internet, Windows updates that driver to the latest one, and blackouts re-appear. So then what I did, is I first went to the ntel Iris Graphics 550 device in the device manager, and clicked on update driver. I then select Browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list ...
There I first install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This will (temporary) deactivate your external monitor. Then you update again, but you chose the old driver 154014.4352. You can see the difference because it is called Intel(R) Iris(Tm) instead of Iris(R).
Since I did that, I didn't notice any black screens on internal or external screen.
Probably it will install a newer driver when available, but I know I have to go back to the previous version.

Today I am working 5-6 hours on the MSP, I got Photoshop open, Chrome and a application from my cable provider to look live TV. I even did launch a userbenchmark to stress the system meanwhile.
I hoop it stays that stable, but it is certainly much better compared to the multiple blackouts/min that I had when scrolling through a website. Which prove again it is not hardware related but driver related. So Wacom contact your contact at Intel to solve this.

<Update> If I restart the computer, it happens that I again have blackouts. But if I shut down, and power it up again, no issues. Not ideal, but better than continuously having black screens.

konslid

Postby konslid » Sun 25. Mar 2018, 08:07

dmeerpa, it's strange, with this driver my msp is not allowing to turn my external monitor at all.

dmeerpa

Postby dmeerpa » Tue 27. Mar 2018, 09:56

konslid wrote:dmeerpa, it's strange, with this driver my msp is not allowing to turn my external monitor at all.

Don't forget, this driver is the oldes one I found. Probably it is the first driver they had for our IRIS GPU. It is possible that there are bugs in this version that have been solved in newer releases.
You can try to other drivers, but I know at least the drivers from the past year all have the black screen issues.

My point is, that the black screen issues are driver related. So it is up to Wacom to contact there contacts at Intel to solve this with a new driver.
In my case it is stable as long as I do not restart the computer. If a restart is necessary, I need to power off and then back on.
This solution does not work with the newer drivers.

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Tue 27. Mar 2018, 11:15

In Win10 you can disable automatic driver updates: Go to control panels -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> 'Choose whether Windows downloads manufacturers apps ...' and set that to No.

Rado8888

Postby Rado8888 » Thu 5. Apr 2018, 22:51

dmeerpa wrote:Ok think I got it solved.
Yesterday I reset-ed the MSP16.
But as soon as it was windows was re-installed (without internet connection), I did have again the black outs on regular base.
So I went to the device manager, and removed the Intel Iris Graphics 550 device and its driver (was the one of feb 2018 (which means the recovery found this driver somewhere on the SSD). After restarting the MSP it installs a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, that works fine without blackout but it only clones the internal display, you can not extend. I then installed Iris550_win64_154014.4352 that I had downloaded via my other computer from the Intel site. Since I installed that driver it didn't had any blackouts. But as soon as you connect to the internet, Windows updates that driver to the latest one, and blackouts re-appear. So then what I did, is I first went to the ntel Iris Graphics 550 device in the device manager, and clicked on update driver. I then select Browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list ...
There I first install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This will (temporary) deactivate your external monitor. Then you update again, but you chose the old driver 154014.4352. You can see the difference because it is called Intel(R) Iris(Tm) instead of Iris(R).
Since I did that, I didn't notice any black screens on internal or external screen.
Probably it will install a newer driver when available, but I know I have to go back to the previous version.

Today I am working 5-6 hours on the MSP, I got Photoshop open, Chrome and a application from my cable provider to look live TV. I even did launch a userbenchmark to stress the system meanwhile.
I hoop it stays that stable, but it is certainly much better compared to the multiple blackouts/min that I had when scrolling through a website. Which prove again it is not hardware related but driver related. So Wacom contact your contact at Intel to solve this.

<Update> If I restart the computer, it happens that I again have blackouts. But if I shut down, and power it up again, no issues. Not ideal, but better than continuously having black screens.

Thnk you. This solution has worked for me.

konslid

Postby konslid » Fri 6. Apr 2018, 20:17

Thank you very much, dmeerpa

After a couple of experiments on changing different adapters and cables, it has starter working correctly with the driver you suggested.

It's sad that the community solves issues instead of getting support from the manufacture company. This thread was started more than one year ago and only today we have a solution that wasn't provided by support but by a motivated smart guy. It's weird and sad.

plaurits

Postby plaurits » Wed 18. Apr 2018, 17:47

dmeerpa wrote:Ok think I got it solved.
but you chose the old driver 154014.4352. You can see the difference because it is called Intel(R) Iris(Tm) instead of Iris(R).

Can someone kindly share this driver? Only two more recent drivers are listed on my computer.

Thank you very much!

I recently bought a MSP 16 in the hope that it would be a professional tool that would just work. Boy was I wrong. So many things are failing, but the flickering screen is the worst thing, it even flickers with no external monitor connected. If this isn't fixed soon by wacom, I see no other solution that a full refund. I simply cannot do any work with this faulty piece of s***.

And for anyone thinking about spending a lot of money on wacom products, DON'T DO IT !!!

konslid

Postby konslid » Sat 21. Apr 2018, 09:47

You can find the driver on Intel web-site

Return to “Pen Computers”