New drivers posted for Mac and Win, version 6.3.25. Now supporting OSX High Sierra. Windows driver 6.3.25-3 is updated to versiob 6.3.25-5 now to fix an issue with the WL Kit. Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Note: All users seeing wavy lines using a Wacom Pro Pen 2 with Wacom MSP, Cintiq/Intuos Pro 13” or 16”, please update the tablet pen firmware to address this issue. The update is now available via the Wacom Desktop Center application on your computer.

For clicking problems with Google Chrome see:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guid ... ListPage-1

Will the MobileStudio Pro be ever ready for prime time?

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
kozureookami

Will the MobileStudio Pro be ever ready for prime time?

Postby kozureookami » Tue 24. Oct 2017, 01:27

I've been eyeing this product ever since it came to market, hoping against hope that it will get better, that issues will be resolved. Everywhere I look though I see tons of problems. I see folks complaining of the Wacom support, when they should be complaining about the actual product. It's not the support team that decided to go to market with a half-baked product, it's the product team. The support team is left to pick up the pieces though.

So here's a question for the group Do you guys think this product will ever be ready for prime time? "Ready" as in: you buy it, turn it on, download whatever software you're missing, and then use it. "Ready" as in: you don't have to re-install Windows, you don't have to send it back only to get another machine that you send back again etc.

Wacom? Whadda'ya say?

tomatogoatee

Re: Will the MobileStudio Pro be ever ready for prime time?

Postby tomatogoatee » Thu 2. Nov 2017, 12:33

This is my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

I am probably one of the outliers, but I have had zero problems using my MSP. From when I opened the box to today, I use it all the time and have never encountered any of the problems I've seen people bring up. I have never seen it bluescreen, the fan is no louder than any laptop I've ever owned, absolutely spotless under the glass, and the battery life is actually really good considering the hardware it's driving.

Now, is my MSP problem free because QA is more stringent on the 16" i7 models or dumb luck? Only Wacom can answer that, and I doubt they're going to share their internal QA policies.

The only issue I've ever had is with the pen making a rattling sound as if something broke inside, but it still functions 100% normally, so I'm not terribly concerned.

As for the question in your subject. Do you mean "Prime Time" as in "on the shelves of big-box stores?" If so, then no. Never. The MSP is such a specialized tablet designed for a niche market. The average consumer doesn't want or need a device with the functionality of an MSP when they could get a Surface for a fraction of the cost.

Regarding Wacom products in general, I have owned a number of different tablets (starting with the Artpad II) and both the CC1 and CC2. The only device I ever had any issue with was my first CC1. It arrived with dead pixels and the front camera didn't work. Wacom support stepped right up and replaced it.

Now ORDERING a product directly from Wacom... That is something I will never do again. There's an approval process you need to wait through that they never mention on the store page. So when you choose "next day" shipping, you STILL need to wait a week for them to process your order. So Amazon for me for any future orders.

JulianK

Postby JulianK » Fri 3. Nov 2017, 20:24

tomatogoatee wrote:This is my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Now ORDERING a product directly from Wacom... That is something I will never do again. There's an approval process you need to wait through that they never mention on the store page. So when you choose "next day" shipping, you STILL need to wait a week for them to process your order. So Amazon for me for any future orders.

That's interesting, because I did just exactly the reverse. I had previously in spring) ordered and msp16 from Amazon which recently turned out to have a hardware/power issue, that from what I have read was somewhat frequently occurring with earlier batches.
Sent it back to amazon now ( getting refund) and this time, in hope to get a more recent revision decided to order directly from Wacom yesterday evening. Today it was shipped out and according to UPS should arrive in Tuesday(!) :)
That is Wacom Europe btw.

tomatogoatee

Postby tomatogoatee » Mon 6. Nov 2017, 13:04

JulianK wrote:... ordered and msp16 from Amazon which recently turned out to have a hardware/power issue, that from what I have read was somewhat frequently occurring with earlier batches.

I will admit that buying from stores on Amazon can be a crap-shoot sometimes. But the MSP I ordered said it was sold by Amazon directly, which is better than "Dan's Camera Shop" or some other weird 3rd party store.
JulianK wrote:That is Wacom Europe btw.

I'm in the US, so I don't know if that has any bearing on the customer service. I do know that the Wacom reps on this forum are a great bunch of folks who are really helpful. (If there's a US forum, I've yet to find it...)

Return to “Pen Computers”