Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you are not able to register, please use the trial version of the software below and try to register again at a later date.

Wacom Drivers:
December 2018: New driver released for Windows (6.3.32-4) and Mac (6.3.32-3). Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Windows 10 Fall 2018 Update:
Updating to the newest Windows 10 Fall update? Wacom has identified a few issues within the latest update. Pan/Scroll is not working correctly in some applications. Also, Modifier Clicks do not work when assigned to pen buttons or ExpressKeys, see the screenshot below. The Wacom driver team has submitted a bug report with Microsoft for these issues and will continue to work with them until it is fixed. More information can be found here: here

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave:
Upgrading to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? A new Mac OSX security feature requires some additional changes to run the Wacom Driver correctly. Please see the instructions found on our support page here. Also, If you have any issues, please try a clean driver install. Follow the steps here.

MSP 13 i5 8gb RAM

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
wadphoto

MSP 13 i5 8gb RAM

Postby wadphoto » Thu 13. Dec 2018, 13:36

When I looked at the wonderful marketing of this machine. MSP 13 i5 8gb RAM. I was convinced that I could run PS:LR on it and edit photos whilst on the go.
I am an architekt photographer. I am using RAW files unto 45 MP. And this machine is no match for a professional work !!! Extremely disappointed with the behaviour of the machine. Often crashes, whilst it isn't crashing, freezing, you have to wait 30 seconds for each command to complete. I mean each command, even the most simple, Zoom an image and the lag is so painful, I have the time to make a cup of tea. Hence, Far to be a professional tool...
oh, did I mention if I teether my camera direct to the MSP, even worse...

Can anyone help me ??? Is there a way to improve the physical RAM from 8 to 16, or even more so 32 ???? I have made all the tweets possible, but no great change. For a machine that ways in at 2000 euro. I am not sure how it can compete with other makes of portable computers which are being used by professional photographers.
Please help, I am loosing so much time and money, I have gone back to my mac, which is 7 years older, and can cope with the work in a far better manner. Only problem being, it is an iMac, non portable !

Thank you

wacom5

Re: MSP 13 i5 8gb RAM

Postby wacom5 » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 08:01

Thank you for you feedback. Please bear in mind that the MobileStudio version you acquired is the lower range model, the second cheapest from the range. You cannot expect it to perform as well as the top range. Being a mobile unit also brings in some other limitations like not being able to upgrade the RAM.

With that said. I would suggest you to check if the whole system is up to date. However, the way you describe the issue sounds like the graphics card is just not powerful enough to handle the work you require. The onboard Intel Iris 550 definitely has some limitations. For heavy work you would have been better of with the 16" Models which have a 2nd Nvidia Graphics card with dedicated memory.

wadphoto

Postby wadphoto » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 12:10

Thank you for your reply .
First of all. The reason why I chose the 13 inch is due to most of my work on exterior. (architecture photographer) hence I need to keep all my equipment weight down to a minimum and size. This is due to external batteries, lenses, camera bodies, etc...
Now, when I looked at your magnificent marketing, I noticed that this particular models capable of treating images, and it was aimed at photographers using PS/LR. Also, it has a built in 3D camera. So, ideally, it should be powerful enough to cope with professional work; besides you were not aiming this tablet at the general public. At 2000 euro it is way too expensive compared to your rival makers !!!
so, please explain to me what this tablet is meant for ????? as I feel as though I have been mislead by a marketing department !!!
Lets face it, it's not as though I could walk into a contemporary store in the center of a major town, and try at first hand !!!
now, after paying 2000 euro for a machine that has cost me, in work time far more then what I paid for the MSP. By the way the MSP16 is much too large and I am not sure if i can be convinced after my experience with the MSP13 that I would like to plunge 4000 euro in to another machine that does not live up to my work flow. Besides, no point in looking at the other MSP13 as they all have the same graphics cards... What where you guys thinking off ???
So. as of to date. If I have really understood ! Get rid of my MSP 13. lose a bunch of euros, and reinvest in a new MSP16 which does not correspond to my needs. Other then that, i do not see any other answer in what you have wrote...
I did not expect this MSP13 to perform as good as your flagship. I expected just to teether images whilst in the field, and then start a basic edit with PS whilst traveling, so I could save time. and deliver a product to my client on time.
By the way, I have a very basic imac 2011, which is far to be the flagship of MAC it does not have a graphic card that was created with todays technology. in fact it is 8 years old. with 8 gb of ram, and it edits my photos in PS/LR. thats all I ask of this machine. and if I could put it into my ruck sack and take it on location with me I would.
You guys have a long way to go (customer satisfaction) when dealing with pros needs !!!

lloydizm

Postby lloydizm » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 13:17

why wouldnt you get the MSP 13 i7 16bg version?

wadphoto

Postby wadphoto » Mon 17. Dec 2018, 17:33

It Has the same graphic card as mine. which can not handle heavy RAW files. I will just continue behaving in the same manner as mine ! Nothing will change... What would have been great, if wacom gave the owner of his material, the possibility to upgrade cards, ram , memory etc.

lloydizm

Postby lloydizm » Tue 18. Dec 2018, 11:56

well i wouldve investigated 1st if i were dealing with this. considering you cannot just upgrade much in a laptop/notebook, why would they give us this option?

wadphoto

Postby wadphoto » Tue 18. Dec 2018, 14:11

1 I did investigate at first. Wacom, claims that the MSP13, works with LR/PS.

2 I have no way off knowing how the graphic card performs with my camera, as their are no test which have been carried out at the time I bought the machine.
The whole idea of selling equipment to pros (people who make a living through their activities) Is that you can trust what the manufacture is telling you !!!

3 If I buy a camera. I do not want the lens focal to be fixed in such a way, I can only take certain image. It needs to adapt to my work flow. the same for the memory card slot. If it only works with a 2 gb card. I will find my self carry a lot of expensive cards for no reason.

4 the previous model can be upgraded. I have seen videos on how to upgrade the RAM. How ever, you have to get into the machine first. This is far to be easy, due to the amount of glue and clips which wacom have put together their machines. Hence, I get the feeling they do not want you to upgrade the hardware with cheaper foreign parts !

5 Why would they only put one model of graphic card through out the whole range of 13 ? This means to me, that they are forcing you to buy the bigger more expensive models. as I have already mention before. I work in the field, and I do not want to be lugging around unnecessary weight, and having to change my carry equipment in order to adapt to a tablet !

6 I am a photographer, fine art printer, my needs with a computer are basic. I guess I use 15 percent of a computers capacity, I really do not have the time to look at every detail of a machine is capable of doing. I want it to edit photos. Thats all!

7 This is only my opinion. But, the 13 MSP, is not a tool for pro users. Or I completely missed the point !

lloydizm

Postby lloydizm » Wed 19. Dec 2018, 08:24

1. msp will run both of those programs.
2. one would assume that working with any photo editing would know a thing or 2 about a computer and what kind of spec would need. a intel card is as basic as you can get. most standard cheaper end laptops come with an intel based card.
3. nfi.
4. can be upgrade. but not recommended by wacom. as for laptops and such, its much easier as they make it specifically easier to upgrade. and yes very likely they dont want for that to happen.
5. exactly their issue. i agree with you in that part of things, but again im sure the MSP was designed wayyyy before anything good was out and they just stuck with it. like as far as graphics cards, they couldve put in the 1000m nvidia to all 13" and a more powerful one in the 16". but it was a long time difference from the companion2 and the msp. the 13" and 16" isnt much difference i find as i own both and lug both too and from work.

again i agree with you on many levels but essentially its buy before try as no where stocks a demo or anything. which is sad.

Return to “Pen Computers”