NEW tablet driver 6.3.23-4 for OSX released. For release notes use the link below the driver on the download page. Fixed: Problem mit modifiers on keyboard in combination with pentip, accidential double-clicks etc. Last update for an issue with ZBrush navigation.

New version for for Windows 6.3.23-1: Fixed various problems - zooming with expresskeys, 'driver not responding' error message and others.

For more details see the driver release notes on the driver download page.

Note: All users seeing wavy lines using a Wacom Pro Pen 2 with Wacom Cintiq Pro 13” or 16”, please update the tablet pen firmware to version 1.2.3.0 to address this issue. The update is now available via the Wacom Desktop Center application on your computer. - There is now also such a firmware update for MobileStudio Pro for this issue.

Companion 2 - Hybrid Mode Gone after Win10 clean install

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
companion2capetown

Companion 2 - Hybrid Mode Gone after Win10 clean install

Postby companion2capetown » Wed 14. Dec 2016, 17:47

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm having a very difficult time finding a solution to this problem.

I found a "Companion 2 Hybrid Update Utility" on Wacoms website, which is supposed to restore the Hybrid Mode functionality, but after it installs, and the Companion shutsdown, I turn it off, turn it back on, and it boots into Windows. When I connect the 2 in 1 cable, still, nothing happens. On another unit at store I bought this one, when connecting the 2 in 1 cable, immediately the Companion switches over to Hybrid Mode automatically. I suspected a faulty cable, but, we tried a different cable, to no avail. The Hybrid mode worked before the Companion was "Refreshed" "Reset", after Reset, no Hybrid Mode.

What could be the issue here?

Please help, I really want to enjoy my new device.

Thanks

wacom1

Re: Companion 2 - Hybrid Mode Gone after Win10 clean install

Postby wacom1 » Thu 15. Dec 2016, 09:11

If the utility does not help, there could be a problem on the hardware side - if the chip for the hybrid mode is faulty. Could also be a problem in the configuration. I would check in device manager for an indicated problem. If so, remove the entry and let Windows re-detect it.

If not success, backup your data and reset the unit to factory defaults. (This should be possible, if the recovery partition was not deleted.) Then we know that all drivers are installed correctly and hybrid mode should work. If it still does not, the hardware is broken and needs to be repaired or exchanged.

companion2capetown

Postby companion2capetown » Thu 15. Dec 2016, 10:02

Hi there.

Thank you for your response!

Unfortunately the recovery partition was removed upon clean installation.

Can you upload a factory image on dropbox or a fileshare service of your choice, so that I can restore the machine to factory defaults, thereby eliminating the possibility of a software issue?

Thanks

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Thu 15. Dec 2016, 12:49

Can you try to first force the CC2 into sleepmode and then connecting the cable ? We have some report (with Win10), where this gets hyprid mode working - and would probably exclude a faulty chip.

Unfortunately we cannot supply a factory image - that is only maintained by the service center.

BertoLin

Postby BertoLin » Fri 16. Dec 2016, 14:40

Hi, Wacom guys! Nice to have you back!

It seems that "Companion 2 Hybrid Update Utility" actually is a BIOS update that also restore default settings in BIOS.

If you want Cintiq Mode to work, just put to sleep your Companion 2 and plug the 2in1 cable. In Windows 8 you just need to plug the cable to make it work but in Windows 10 you need to put it to sleep as an additional step.

Hope it helps! :)

companion2capetown

Postby companion2capetown » Sun 18. Dec 2016, 12:54

Hi all.

The solutions provided here are workarounds. As a professional, who spent close to R30 000 (ZAR) or approx 2200USD on this device (demo unit), workarounds, are unacceptable especially the "sleep mode" workaround.

My concerns are as follows:

- When booting the desktop with the Companion plugged in, it goes into some sort of strange "black screen" mode. I used a Cintiq 12WX before, and so, the norm is to leave the Cintiq plugged in. Having to unplug the Companion, then switch on desktop PC, then turn on Companion, wait till it boots up, then plug it back in and put it into sleep before it goes into Hybrid mode, seems like I'm going backwards in my workflow. Its too many steps for a freelance professional who handles deadlines daily.

- Ontop of the above inconvenience, is all the new plugging in and plugging out now, which is surely going to wear the mutlipin port and connector out before its time?

- When one shuts down the desktop PC, and the companion is plugged in, as soon as the desktop powers off, the Companion now wakes up into "Mobile" mode...which means I can no longer just shutdown my pc and leave the Studio, I now need to wait for the desktop to power off, wait for the Companion to wake up, enter a password, then put the companion to sleep again or shut it down. This is also backwards for me.

This "sleep" workaround works, but a 2999USD device should not just work, it should excel, and make the artist's life easier, and more efficient, not add more steps to a workflow, for which the device wasn't intended to do (manually enter sleep) upon its release to the market.

It may have worked properly in Hybrid mode with Windows 8, but Windows 10 is here now, and people, who want the best computing experience and latest updates have upgraded to Windows 10, and it is my strong belief that Wacom should cover all the ground work to make the Companion 2 work on Windows 10, whether upgraded from Win 8 or a fresh install of Windows 8 or 10. The customer should not have to be burdened with this problem at all.

I have decided I will be returning the unit for a refund, and possibly settle with the Cintiq 13hd Touch instead as I still trust the non battery / non OS devices Wacom make. The pressure, the express keys, the colour, the cables are all lovely and functional! Maybe one day the PC Tablets from Wacom can be fool proof, replaceable batteries, replaceable HDD /SSD, replaceable OS , RAM etc...for now though, in my opinion, the Companion is a ticking time bomb, regarding battery life, OS support and Driver support. For the price tag one would expect a device that can at least stay strong for 3-4 years.

Thanks for your time. I hope this email wasn't only negative, but constructive as well.

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Tue 27. Dec 2016, 12:17

The Companion2 is produced and delivered with Windows8.x. We see no problem with the hybrid mode when upgrading from Win8 to Win10. Lots of people did that. - If you remove the Wacom supplied software and install something else and not evrything works, I would not think that is Wacoms fault. - I expect that the problem can be fixed with hybrid update utility, but this has not yet been tested with the latest Win10 updates and might need to be adjusted.

mochiazn

Postby mochiazn » Thu 1. Jun 2017, 23:24

As of June 1, 2017 I can confirm that putting the Companion2 in Sleep Mode still works as a temporary solution to restore hybrid functionality on the latest version of Windows10. After doing a clean install of Windows10 on my Companion2 and discovered that it no longer worked as a hyrbid--even though Windows10 on my all of my PCs at home and office did recognized the Companion2 as a multi-monitor in the Display Settings--I went back and forth many times with a Wacom customer support representative in trying to find a solution. I was told to update Wacom drivers, delete the driver, clean the registry, re-download the drivers, download a BIOS update, and do more tests that went nowhere. I was told that it is the 2-in-1 cable defect.

Luckily, I found this Forum post after hours of digging the internet and only after doing a Google search for keywords "wacom bios settings" (who knew this solution would pop up in the search results under those keywords).

But I do share the same frustrations as the previous commenter in that the solution is only a "bandage" to the problem. You always have to make sure to shutdown not just your PC but also the Companion2. You're always plugging and unplugging. And yes, the pins on my cable end connecting to the Companion2 are starting to wear down. I'm afraid of either damaging the pins on the cable or the internal receivers inside the Companion2!

It's been over a year since this form post was made and to this day, Wacom tech support still cannot offer a decisive solution other than the blah blah blah "update the drivers," "delete and reinstall drivers," "are you sure the cable is plugged securely," "have you tried turn on and off the system," etc. Hopefully, they can roll out a true solution for this. But it seems more unlikely as perhaps they would rather phase out the Companion2 users in favor of the new MobileStudio Pro devices.

Return to “Pen Computers”