Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you are not able to register, please use the trial version of the software below and try to register again at a later date.
Wacom Drivers:
March 2018: New driver released for Windows (6.3.33-3) and Mac (6.3.33-5). Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Touch not working correctly after Driver 6.3.33-5 update for Mac:
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2581

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave:
Upgrading to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? A new Mac OSX security feature requires some additional changes to run the Wacom Driver correctly. Please see the instructions found on our support page here. Also, If you have any issues, please try a clean driver install. Follow the steps here.

Confused in setting up Mobile Studio Pro

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
Dunnroamin

Confused in setting up Mobile Studio Pro

Postby Dunnroamin » Sat 11. Feb 2017, 22:25

I'm not a professional artist, just an old man who wanted a good quality computerised graphic tablet because of limited space for a "passive" tablet plus the necessary computer and screen. Relying virtually entirely on reviews and Youtube videos, I gravitated towards the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16.

It arrived the very next day after ordering it. As it uses Windows 10, I thought, on switching it on, I would see a "desktop" screen similar to my ageing Dell laptop, but this didn't happen. After entering numerous usernames and passwords for different accounts that popped onto the tablet screen, I was eventually presented with a large number of setup options for pen pressure, angle etc., etc., none of which made much sense to me as far as knowing which were the best options to select. What I felt I needed was some assistance from experienced tablet users.

Unfortunately, there is no instruction manual, either in printed form or on PDF, at least, not yet. The Youtube videos I thought might provide some help, were mainly concerned with the specifications and/or the artistic performance of the device, which is fine for those familiar with the setting up procedure, but I need to start from basics.

Some may criticise me for going for such an advanced piece of equipment, but I wanted something with a decent size screen, self contained so not needing a separate computer, and with good performance. As for the price, well it is expensive, but I'll soon be 82, so it'll almost certainly see me out, and, you can't take it with you, can you. Plus, a little bit of retail therapy can be a good thing.

Anyone who can give me a bit of help in selecting the best pen, touch and other settings would be most appreciated. D

joeparis

Re: Confused in setting up Mobile Studio Pro

Postby joeparis » Mon 13. Feb 2017, 16:51

All you Windows 10/MSPro folks out there, please give this gentleman some help.

Dunroamin,
Do you actually want to create artwork on your tablet? Are you able to install programs yet? I don't have this machine or Windows 10 but I'm fairly sure basic functionality is there at the onset. Is there something you wish to do at this point but can't or are you just looking for some basic "training"?

Dunnroamin

Postby Dunnroamin » Mon 13. Feb 2017, 20:27

As the MSP runs on a Windows OS, I thought I would have a "desktop" on which I could park "shortcuts", I still don't know if this is possible.

So far, I haven't found how to access the web so I can open Google Chrome or any other browser (is that the right term for a search engine?). My laptop runs Vista, on which I can open Google Chrome, and where I can search for art editing apps. I would like to be able to do that on the tablet.

Using my laptop, I made a list of art apps with which to get started, they were: Gimp, Fotor, Corel Aftershot, Artweaver and Twisted Brush, but a search on the tablet failed to find any of them, maybe they are only available in America.

On my old system, I had PS elements 2, I would like to have this on the MSP, but don't know if it's compatible, if it isn't, a similar alternative would be OK but, without having the likes of Google, how do I find and download a suitable editing app.

I could try going onto Google using the laptop, and if I find a suitable art editor app, store it on an SD card to see if it can be installed into Win 10.

maxspr1

Postby maxspr1 » Mon 13. Feb 2017, 21:24

I'm happy to help!
Finding and installing Google Chrome:
While I've customized both my Windows 10 desktops, I know that when you run your Windows 10 computer for the first time, there should be a blue "e" symbol down at the bottom left of your desktop screen, found on top of a black bar running across the bottom of the screen (the taskbar). That "e" is a link for Microsoft's Edge program, which is their pre-installed default web browser. If you don't see it on your desktop, press the center round button inside the circular control ring to the side of the MSP's screen and this will open the Start Menu which will list all your installed programs on the left side of the panel that opens and also show you little clickable buttons/squares representing various installed programs. There should be a blue square button with a big white "e" on it--clicking on that will be the same as clicking on the blue "e" on the taskbar: it'll open the MS Edge browser. To get out of the Start Menu and go back to your desktop, just press that round center physical button again or touch or tap anywhere on the screen outside of the Start Menu and it will close. Anyway, to install Chrome, click on that blue "e" on the desktop or the blue square with the white"e" in the Start Menu and you'll be taken to the web (I don't remember what the default page that opens is, but just focus on the search bar at the top of the screen that comes up when you open MS Edge. Type google chrome in the search bar and the first search result you get will be a link to download and install Chrome. Click on the link and on the page that opens will be a big blue rectangle to press to download Chrome. I seem to remember that it will download and walk you through the installation. Once it's finished installing, it may have installed a shortcut icon on the desktop you can press to open Chrome and get on the web, but if it didn't, you can open the Start Menu again by pressing that center round physical button and look for Google Chrome alphabetically listed on the left side, listed with all of your other programs.

As for searching for art programs in Windows 10, you can search on Chrome or use the Windows Store to get some apps, many for free (I know they have Sketchbook Pro and some Photoshop lite programs). You can access the Windows Store by clicking on the little icon at the bottom left of your screen on the taskbar near the MS Edge button--it's the one that looks like a white shopping bag with the Windows logo on it. Personally, I prefer using Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio Pro) for my drawing--you don't have to make comics/manga with it--it's a good all-around and fairly powerful art program. It's not available in the Windows Store, but you can find it on the web.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't insulted you by telling you anything you already know or by over explaining. I recently had to walk my father through setting up a Windows 10 computer and it made me realize that while it's an intuitive experience for some, it can be an illogical nightmare for others!

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I can try to give an answer.

Here's a link to a beginner's guide to Windows 10 on youtube--it's pretty long and detailed, but it's a good reference (it's done with mouse and keyboard users in mind, but most of the info works similarly with touch devices like the MSP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH5bnuYe8Ls

Good luck!

Dunnroamin

Postby Dunnroamin » Tue 14. Feb 2017, 15:33

Thank you for your for all your advice and suggestions. I've only just clicked on to the forum because I've been chasing around the web pages to see first, if PS elements 2 is compatible with Win 10, if it is, a local computer repair shop say they can transfer the editing software from the CD into a SD card. This is necessary because the MSP has no CD tray, only an SD slot.

I appreciate your post, and in no way could I take offence, so please don't concern yourself.

I wish you well and thanks again. D.

joeparis

Postby joeparis » Tue 14. Feb 2017, 17:09

All software is available for download these days therefore you don't really need a cd drive. I appreciate that you are familiar/comfortable with Elements 2 but it's 12 or 13 years old, you may experience difficulties with it on Windows 10 (but maybe not). I think the latest version is Elements 15 and I really don't think it would be too unfamiliar.

Anyway, you have spent a small fortune on your tablet so why not splash out a few dollars on more up to date software? All of the programs that you listed will be available to download from the internet.

https://www.gimp.org/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... aver.shtml
http://www.pixarra.com/
http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products/aftershot/pro/

Dunnroamin

Postby Dunnroamin » Thu 16. Feb 2017, 21:22

Following the tips given by maxspr1, for which I thank him, I managed to install Google Chrome on the Wacom MSP. As there's no conventional desktop with shortcuts, as with an ordinary pc, Google has to be searched for. When I managed to track it down, I attempted to download Gimp, a free editing program, onto the MSP.

As I had recently installed it successfully onto my Dell laptop, I decided it was worth putting it into the Wacom.

Using my newly installed Google Chrome, I located the Gimp site and pushed the download button. I saw no moving bar or rotating circle of dots to indicate that the download was proceeding. I pushed a button that said something like: "If download doesn't start, click here", so I did, but no change, the page looked the same. I tried again, and again there was no sign that the download had even happened. I exited the Gimp page and tried to see if the download had occurred and was hiding somewhere in the bowels of the Wacom, but there is no sign of it anywhere.

One problem I had when trying to download Gimp, was the plethora of other download buttons all over the page. It seems very easy to download the wrong app.

I will try again, but before I do, I'll have to see if there is a more certain way of successfully downloading things.

I'm not averse to paying for a decent program, but I've read complaints from some users, that the more recent Photoshop elements (those compatible with W 10) are not as good as earlier versions that are, unfortunately, not compatible.

An alternative might be Paintshop, but again, how good is it, how does it compare with a compatible version of Photoshop, I haven't been able to get an answer to that one. I'm still looking. D

Dunnroamin

Postby Dunnroamin » Thu 16. Feb 2017, 21:55

As a postscript to my earlier post regarding installing Google Chrome. When I click on the Google s/c on the Wacom, it opens up with the invitation to make Google my default browser. I'm not sure which is the present default browser, maybe it's some Microsoft program. Could someone tell me, please, should I make Google the default browser, or leave things as they are. I don't want to upset the applecart.

maxspr1

Postby maxspr1 » Thu 16. Feb 2017, 22:43

Microsoft Edge is the default browser, and based on my experience, making Chrome your default browser won't harm anything. I did it on my own MSP and haven't looked back. Next time that invitation to make Chrome your default browser pops up, feel free to click on it. I'm pretty sure it will open all the necessary windows and guide you through accomplishing this. If for some reason you decide later you don't want Chrome to be the default, just open Microsoft Edge again and it will invite you to make Edge the default browser again!

Good luck!

Dunnroamin

Postby Dunnroamin » Fri 17. Feb 2017, 17:15

I am getting close to choosing which image editing program to buy. I'm veering towards Paintshop 9, which I would have to download into my MSP. It is the downloading that gives me some trepidation. One of my earlier posts in this forum shows that I have already had problems downloading software. If I purchased Paint Shop and, having paid for the product, the download failed, where would this leave me. It is this dilemma that is mainly holding me back from placing an order. Has anyone words of comfort or assurance, please.

Return to “Pen Computers”