Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Major driver problem (Bamboo Touch, Win7x64)

Major driver problem (Bamboo Touch, Win7x64)

Postby d4vid » Sun 11. Apr 2010, 21:38

LATER EDIT: I HAVE NOW FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE CREATED A SEPERATE POST CALLED 'IMPORTANT WINDOWS 7 SOLUTION' IN WHICH I'VE DESCRIBED IT. IT COULD WELL BE AFFECTING MANY PEOPLE RUNNING A BAMBOO TABLET ON WINDOWS 7.

I really like my new touch tablet, so I'm keen to sort this out. Especially as it gave me trouble free use for a day before this started (which makes it weirder).

I have a brand new computer which I recently built myself. I used the Bamboo Touch as the pointing device right from first boot. I'd done everything - installed all kinds of drivers for everything from graphics to onboard USB3.0. I'd updated the motherboard bios, I'd even flashed the firmware for my Solid State Drive I'm using as a system disk, and then reinstalled windows and all the previous again. As you can imagine, multiple restarts, and no problems whatsoever with the tablet drivers at all, at this stage, even though there had been plenty of opportunties for issues to appear, they hadn't.

It went wrong after I idly ran the Windows Experience Index feature. It discovered that my graphics card was Windows Aero capable and so switched this feature on. For some reason I then rebooted. Right away, my touch tablet was back to working as it did BEFORE driver installation.

This is what now happens EVERY time (and I've now spent literally many hours on this, and multiple WINDOWS REBUILDS FROM SCRATCH):

1. I uninstall the previous Bamboo software installation and get the latest (21-6a) version.
2. I install it. The installer says that everything installed successfully.
3. In spite of the 'successful' message, at this point my tablet stops working
4. I therefore use my keyboard to select 'OK', and I reboot my computer.
5. At the precise moment when the Windows desktop loads up everything is fine and the tablet is working as it should
6. A second later and Windows says it has found a new HID device and has installed it (it means my tablet). It says I need to restart, but I say 'no, I'll do that later', and I fully check the functionality of the tablet. It is fine, and the Bamboo properties control panel works perfecty.
7. I then restart the computer (either because of the windows message, or because I need to for some other reason).
8. The desktop loads and the tablet is back to its pre-installation state again. It won't work properly, and the Bamboo Properties window refuses to open.
9. I repeat the process from step 1 and go round, and round, and.....

MASSIVE BRICK WALL. HUGE HEAD SMASHING.

What I have done for now is to disable Windows from auto installing on restart. But I've had to use Group Policy for that, and it results in a message saying that Windows was prevented from installing the driver every time I restart. Of course the tablet works fine because Windows was only prevented from installing the driver THAT IT thinks is better (for some reason, and I've already said, weirdly it didn't use to do that).

This Group Policy is NOT a long term solution. How can I get windows to accept that when the device was installed with Wacom software that that is IT, FINISHED and there is no need for Windows to mess it up by installing anything else??

So, Wacom, PLEASE HELP! I really like my tablet and want to work right. It was before, and I don't understand why it stopped.

EDIT (Couple of hours later): Earlier, in order to update the firmware on my SSD I had to install Windows on a second hard drive, and update the firmware from there. It occurred to me that I could use this other windows installation (on the same computer, all hardware the same, just boot disk different) to troubleshoot the Wacom driver issue. So I booted to this second hard drive and found the tablet was working fine. So installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers for my graphics card and rebooted. Bamboo tablet still fine. So I ran the Windows Experience Index. Again it turned Aero on. I rebooted. Surprised to find that the tablet was still fine. So, without doing anything else I rebooted one more time to check..... and what do you know, exactly the same thing happens to the tablet driver as before. Bamboo Touch tablet stops working properly, Bamboo control panel refuses to load. And these were the latest Bamboo drivers (6a). Windows obviously doesn't like them, or they depend on a service which is conflicting with something, or, well Wacom will hopefully know the answer.

ANYWAY, I HAVE THE ISSUE REPLICATED. I very much look forward to some Wacom input.
Last edited by d4vid on Tue 13. Apr 2010, 15:13, edited 2 times in total.
d4vid

Re: Major driver problem (Bamboo Touch, Win7x64)

Postby d4vid » Mon 12. Apr 2010, 00:33

I've just found that while the tablet seems to be working fine, with the group policy preventing windows from messing up the installation on reboots, it isn't quite. The Wacom installation seems incomplete because when a Windows UAC rights elevation prompt comes up the tablet is blocked from working. I can then select OK with my keyboard and after the UAC prompt has gone away tablet functionality returns.

Perhaps this detail will help point to the cause of the driver installation problems I've been having (see previos post).
d4vid

Postby Wacom » Mon 12. Apr 2010, 14:58

I can only guess that activating Aero changes the driver or service loading sequence for Windows and when the driver loads the connection is not ready yet. (The tablet driver requires that the tablet has been found before as HID (mouse) device and has no problems in device manager.)

If you then see Windows starting, but the tablet is not working, use the tablet preference utility in start menu to 'remove' the tablet settings, which resets and restarts the driver. If that is working, go to Windows services, select the TabletServicePen and change its start type to 'automatic delayed'. Often this helps in such cases.
Wacom

Postby d4vid » Mon 12. Apr 2010, 21:54

Thank you for your reply Wacom. Unfortunately I can tell you that setting the TabletServicePen Service to 'automatic delayed' did not help at all, in fact it often meant that instead of my touch tablet behaving in its pre-installation state it simply didn't work at all on startup.

As for using the Tablet Preferences Utility, as I said in my first post, one of the features of the problems I was having was that the tablet control panel would not open while the driver issues were happening.

HOWEVER, I am pleased to report that things are looking up. I did another install of Windows. This time I was very careful about the order in which I did things, and I planned it in advance. Windows first, then motherboard drivers, then windows update, then graphics card drivers. Several reboots. A stint of MemTest. No errors. Turned Aero on. Several reboots. Then I downloaded the 2.1.6a drivers and installed them. They said they had finished installing. Curiously they didn't ask me to plug in my Tablet at any stage, but I did so once they had finished. I turned my computer on and off again several times, and the tablet still works properly!

Given the stubborness of the problems I previously had I am not celebrating yet, and am half expecting the tablet to stop working any reboot now.

What did I do differently to get the drivers working and sticking? This is what I can think of:
1. I performed Windows Updates very early in the build, and I also selected two optional updates which pertained to problems in installing software on x64 Win 7 that really needed x32 settings. Apparently in some circumstances those settings weren't getting used.

2. I did not plug in my tablet, or install any drivers for it until Aero was enabled first.

3. I installed the very latest Wacom drivers first, and did not plug in my tablet at all until they had finished installing.

4. I have not yet run the Windows Experience Index and am not planning to. It may seem silly to believe that's involved, but It did always seem to be the next reboot after running the Windows Experience Index that messed up my Wacom drivers EVERY time in the past.
d4vid

Postby d4vid » Mon 12. Apr 2010, 22:09

I just wanted to add that that this Bamboo Touch is a great device once its permanently working!

(but driver installation problems can be unbelievably frustrating and depressing (with any device if you get such problems)).

Other than that I really like the Bamboo Touch, the only other thing I would say is that I wish there were an option in the control panel for flick scrolling to continue indefinitely until the tablet was touched again. I'm not a fan of the current way that flick scrolling leads to a scroll which jerkily slows down and then stops. This is not the way the flick scrolling works with my laptop touchpad. That is smooth, continues until the pad is touched a second time, and is much better.
d4vid

Postby flp213 » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 03:11

THIS is the problem I'm having, you summed it up Way better then me, the tablet sometimes work fine, some the touch sucks (or won't work at all), others the Pen won't work, many times the wacom pen tablet properties wont load unless I reset the user preferences (the tablet preference file utility aways load), sometimes under the task manager I notice the lack of sometimes the touch service sometimes the pen service, it's totally confusing, the tablet is just crazy.

One coincidence that called my attention, was the SSD as the boot driver, my tablet worked flawlessly on my old computer (HDD) and just started with this problem since I installed on my new PC (SSD), I tried my tablet on another computer after being unable to fix it, to check if it was a hardware issue, and the problem happened on this one as well (HDD), a computer the tablet had worked before, but when I got back to my current computer, the tablet just worked again as its supposed to, but it didn't last, as after some minutes, when I needed the tablet it wasn't working again, without any reason, the pen just wasn't working, and it has being like this since...

Ps. if i shut the touch or pen service under the task manager and then remove all user preferences and then try to load the tablet properties it works for some time, this has being my "work around", these days.
flp213

Postby d4vid » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 14:39

And I've now found the solution. I'm going to post a seperate post to deal with it, since I believe it probably fixes the majority of Windows 7 user problems with Wacom drivers.

I'll call the post 'A Windows 7 Solution'
Last edited by d4vid on Tue 13. Apr 2010, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
d4vid

Postby Wacom » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 15:47

Thank you for the reports. We collect the info and pass it to our QA and developement team, so that they can find ways to improve the start procedure for the next driver.
Wacom

Return to Bamboo