Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Application specific settings

Application specific settings

Postby skies » Tue 22. Feb 2011, 13:58

I have been using my good old Graphire 2 for about 10 years. The surface started to degrade and the pen had a crack too. So I bought a nice, black, Bamboo pen & touch.

Now I've been searching for 10 minutes for the application specific settings, only to find out they have deliberately been excluded from the Bamboo driver.

Is this really true? Please don't tell me it's true.
skies

Re: Application specific settings

Postby Wacom » Tue 22. Feb 2011, 17:10

I am sorry, but I cannot tell something else. When introducing the Graphire3 models, the driver was completely redesigned and application specific settings were not supported. This allowed different teams to work on the Graphire3/4/Bamboo verse the Intuos/Cintiq drivers and reduced the time for testing and development, translations etc. The Bamboo driver is also easier to understand and configure for new tablet users.

You can only define and save different tablet setting with the Bamboo preference utility (in Start menu) and reload settings manually when needed.
Wacom

Postby skies » Tue 22. Feb 2011, 19:32

Thank you for the fast reply.

But this is just about applying different settings to different programs, which has nothing to do with drivers. I can't help thinking this is just to make users buy a more expensive tablet. (Including users that do not need higher precision and tilt support etc. but just use it for ergonomics.)
skies

Postby Wacom » Wed 23. Feb 2011, 10:59

Application specific settings need to be handled by the tablet properties panel - there must be some place to add new applications and to specify which setting should be used for which program. This makes the properties panel more complicated and takes more time for development and testing. - Internally the Bamboo driver uses certain application specific handling, but this cannot be configured by the user, it is all predefined. For the touch gestures f.e. we use an XML file to adjust the handling per application, but adding applications or changing the behaviour would require manually editing that file.
Wacom

Postby MickATL » Tue 14. Jun 2011, 17:23

I recall having a (third party?) program called something like "Bamboo Profile Switcher" that allowed you to save different tablet settings, say for different programs, and you could easily switch between these, without having to get into the App Data folder and manually switching out the "xxx.dat" files.
Anyone know of this and still have a copy? I have returned my old original bamboo tablet to service on a different computer and I cannot find this switcher anywhere.

Mick
MickATL

Postby goodsignal » Tue 14. Jun 2011, 19:59

Wow, I am so disappointed that Wacom is crippling their gear like that.

I use an Intuos 3 and was just about to purchase a Medium Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch because I need a variety of input options to save my wrists with all my computer work.

Wacom has an opportunity to provide the best human to computer interface devices in the world. They have hardly any competition. Why would a company in this position not be able to keep the properties panel well organized with the features their users need? Why would a company in this position decide that its users needs aren't worth the time required for development and testing? Clearly no time was spared in the engineering and design of the hardware.

It just saddens me when really wonderful hardware is created, but then the freedom to choose how best to incorporated it into one's personal work flow is denied for petty reasons. Doing so diverges from Wacom's supposed philosophy:

The company name is derived from wa = harmony (from Japanese); com = computer. It is Wacom′s philosophy that technology can contribute to achieving a greater understanding and harmony between people. By allowing users to exploit their most intuitive of abilities when interfacing with computers, e.g writing and drawing, or by enabling technology to be used very intuitively, the harmony between users and digital world will develop, and consequently, communication and understanding will be enhanced.

A practical expression of this philosophy could easily be express by Wacom if they continued to producing the most wonderful hardware ever created, and then offered an API to their devices. At least then, if they can't provide software that matches the quality of their hardware, their community of users would still have the option to flourish with their Wacom products.
goodsignal
Lighting Designer
goodsignal

Postby MickATL » Fri 24. Jun 2011, 17:03

Well I haven't heard back from Wacom, and I believe the maker of the Bamboo Profile Switcher (Tiny Appz?) is dead, so I've had to make an inelegant workaround.
For anyone else still using the original Bamboo (MTE-450), using the driver (vers. 5.2.1-6) and it's Preference File Utility, I've created and backed up different sets of settings for Photoshop, Firefox, CAD, etc. The default location to save these in the Utility is my desktop however I've saved them in a folder labeled Wacom Prefs in "My Documents" (We're still running WinXP at work).
Then I created a shortcut to this folder and placed the shortcut in the Quicklaunch bar (changed the shortcut icon) and when I want to switch profiles, clicking the shortcut lists all of my "profiles" (Photoshop.tabletprefs e.g.) and selecting one changes the settings accordingly.
Its an OK workaround for me until I pop for an Intuos.
Now if I can only get Wacom to unblock the pop-up setting for the original Bamboo...
Seeing as how it is different from the Bamboo Fun (CTE-450 which does have pop-up) only in not having a mouse, the decision not to enable it for WTE-450 seems to be "because we can" - hardly the "People First" on their website customer care link.
Oh, the CTE does have those jazzy blue ring lights ;-)
MickATL

Postby andybryant » Mon 26. Dec 2011, 12:42

This is very disappointing. I was expecting that the Bamboo Touch would work fine for photo editing - as a version of Photoshop is included (only in US versions!) however the lack of different settings per application makes it a pain to use even between Lightroom and Photoshop, let alone being able to use it for Office apps. This lack of app specific settings is unforgivable, especially as it is purely software, and not a hardware limitation.

Wacom's site provides comparison between the Bamboo and Intuos models - effectively hiding this difference. Sure - the site provides a comparison between the Bamboo models - but at no point does that point out that app specific settings are missing. Only a comparison between Bamboo and Intuos would have shown this.

Obviously a commercial decision.

A.
andybryant

Postby Wacom » Tue 27. Dec 2011, 16:03

Application specific settings in the driver make the software much more complicated. Past research showed that this option was rarely used, but requires very much effort and time on the side of development, documentation, testing and support. The driver has internally application specific operations for certain programs without the need for an explicit configuration from user side. - Of course the driver for our 'pro' range of tablets provides more options in hardware and in software.
Wacom

Postby morteus » Wed 28. Dec 2011, 21:19

I came to this forum hoping to find a solution to my compatibility problems with my newly purchased CTL 470. Sadly all I have found are people frustrated by the same issues, and a statement from customer 'support' that pretty much confirms that there is no solution short of greater expenditure. If further expense is indeed the only solution, rest assured it will be with a different manufacturer. Very dissapointed indeed.
morteus

Next

Return to Bamboo

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu