Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Bamboo Pen - Windows 7 Driver problems

Bamboo Pen - Windows 7 Driver problems

Postby Brood » Wed 15. Jun 2011, 16:19

Last week my old Bamboo (MTE-450A0), was acting funny, loss of pen sensitivity which wasn’t being resolved with removing the user preferences, so I thought it was time to get a new one.

The new one is a Bamboo Pen (CTL-460), but all is not well with it, The problem I am having is that after following the instructions in the 'Quick Star Guide' provided with my tablet package is when I get to Step 6 'Start The Tutorial', it doesn't load at all, it didn't automatically run after I installed it for the first time.

I've tried running it from the Tutorial.exe on both the Disk and My Drive as well as the icon on my Bamboo Dock, I've also uninstalled and Reinstalled both Flash and Shockwave Players to ensure it would run, I get a short 'Processing' hourglass and then nothing

Also because I have been unsuccessful at starting the tutorial I get the message 'There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please Reboot/Reinstall/Update" when I try open The "Bamboo Properties" from my Start Menu as well as the 'Pen Tablet Properties" from the configuration menu on my Bamboo Dock, as stated above none of these options have fixed the problem

I have also tried multiple times with Uninstalling/Reinstalling the CD Software and also trying to install it with the latest versions of the drivers; I’ve already tried removing the preference files via the utility prior to contacting Tech Support, as well as removing Pen_Tablet, Tablet and WinTab files in hopes it will work which it has yet to.

I did some searching around as to the time of when my old bamboo started to act up and I found that a Critical Windows 7 update was applied to my PC around the same time, as I have been unable to resolve my issue with my tablet on PC running the Win7 OS, I installed it onto another PC which runs Vista and it worked perfectly.

I think this Windows 7 update renders the current drivers available for download Version 5.24-6 multilingual incompatible
Brood

Re: Bamboo Pen - Windows 7 Driver problems

Postby Wacom » Thu 16. Jun 2011, 11:40

We are not aware of Window7 updates causing problems with the current tablet driver. There were some rare cases with an update about a year ago with an older tablet driver, where it did not start at the right time. This could be fixed by starting the driver with a delay or for example using the preference utility to restart the driver.

For your case: Uninstall the tablet driver and unplug the tablet. Restart Windows and go to device manger. Remove any perhaps remaining Wacom entries. Then search and delete the pentablet.cpl and wintab*.* files from SYSTEM32 and SYSWOW64. Now attach the tablet, verify that it works as touchpad and install the driver. The tutorial should run fine with the driver from CD, it may not work as well after updating the driver.
Wacom

Postby Brood » Thu 16. Jun 2011, 14:39

As stated in my first post and your request, I removed all Wacom entries from my computer, ran a search for the pentablet and wintab file in both System32 and SysWow64 again which found no entries,

After plugging in the Wacom Pen Tablet, which picked up the pen's movement across its recordable area, I ran the "Install Bamboo" from my disk, after installing this the tutorial didn't automatically run, after installing Bamboo Dock it still didn't run, and as stated in my orignal post it still didn't run after clicking the "Tutorial" option on the CD Splash screen or from the icon on the Bamboo Doc. Even clicking the "Tutorial" option from the Bamboo folder in the all programs folder didn't start the tutorial

As for the preference file it still states "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please Reboot your system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver", which I have attempted to do so yet to no avail.

Which is surprising considering it works on another computer which runs vista and encounters no problems with trying to open either the tutorial or said preference file
Brood

Postby Wacom » Thu 16. Jun 2011, 16:32

The problem might be related to a Wacom entry in device manager. Sometimes it is not deleted in the normal uninstall process and has to be removed manually. - The tutorial will only run, when the tablet driver runs. If you can open the tablet properties panel, the driver is active otherwise not. Then the tutorial can also not run. - I suggest to not install BambooDock at first, as this may already overwrite some files.
Wacom

Postby Brood » Thu 16. Jun 2011, 18:55

After uninstalling the drivers and such and then reinstalling after a reboot, I am still unable to access the tutorial file or the preference file. The tutorial file doesn't load and the Preference file displays the same error message as before without Bamboo Dock installed

The "Tutorial.exe"file doesn't seem to launch, its process starts in the Windows Task Manager, but after about 30 seconds it closes and the application doesn't load
Brood

Postby Wacom » Fri 17. Jun 2011, 09:51

If you cannot open the tablet properties settings, the driver is not running and then the Tutorial cannot start as well. It should present an alert about that, however. (One explanation woud be that you still have the tutorial from the older driver on the system, or that the antivirus software blocks it.)

When the driver is not starting, first use the preference utility (Start menu -> Bamboo) and remove 'all' settings. After a moment the tablet should then react to the pen (in pen mode). If that does not happen, check in task manager: you should have the processes pen_tablet.exe, pen_tabletuser.exe, wtouchuser.exe and wtouchservice.exe running. There can be several instances of these processes. When you go to Windows services (type Windowskey+R, then enter 'services.msc' in the command prompt), you can stop the WTouchservice and then TabletServicePen. Then the processes should all disappear from task manager, and re-appear when you start the service again.
Wacom

Postby Brood » Fri 17. Jun 2011, 15:46

I've tried what you have advised, I still receive the error message about "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please Reboot your system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver" while trying to access the Preference File
Brood

Postby Wacom » Fri 17. Jun 2011, 16:24

The message indicates, that there are still portion of a previous installation. If you cannot find any remaining old files, I would try the installation in Windows safe mode - then the files are not protected and can be overwritten.
Wacom

Postby Brood » Fri 17. Jun 2011, 17:53

Just tried a fresh install while still in safe mode, the tutorial wouldn't load and I still received the error message about the drivers
Brood

Postby Wacom » Mon 20. Jun 2011, 11:04

Please uninstall all drivers again. Go to Control Panel=>Programs and features. Now remove the Pen Tablet / and Bamboo. After a restartof Windows go to the search engine and look for the files:
tablet*.*
wacom*.*
pentab*.*
wintab*.*
Pen_Tablet.exe
Pen_Tablet.dll
Pen_TabletUser.exe
PenTablet.cpl
PenTablet.znc
Touch_Tablet.dll
Wintab32.dll
WTouchAPI.dll
WTouchCPL.exe
WTouchService.exe
WTouchUser.exe

and delete them all. Also delete the folders TABLET and WTABLET. Please make sure, that you
have hidden files included to the search. Look in the System32 folder if the wintab*.* is deleted
(In Windows 7 x64 there is a Wintab*.* in SYSTEM32 and in SYSWOW64).

Check again that you do not have a WacomVirtualHID in the Human Interface Devices section in device manager. Restart, attach the tablet and install the current driver. Make sure that the driver runs and that you can open the tablet properties panel without error message.
Wacom

Next

Return to Bamboo

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu