New drivers posted for Mac and Win, version 6.3.25. Now supporting OSX High Sierra. Windows driver 6.3.25-3 is updated to versiob 6.3.25-5 now to fix an issue with the WL Kit. Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Note: All users seeing wavy lines using a Wacom Pro Pen 2 with Wacom MSP, Cintiq/Intuos Pro 13” or 16”, please update the tablet pen firmware to address this issue. The update is now available via the Wacom Desktop Center application on your computer.

For clicking problems with Google Chrome see:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guid ... ListPage-1

Is 'palm rejection' a real thing?

Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid, Cintiq Companion 2 and MobileStudio Pro
EricDoggett

Is 'palm rejection' a real thing?

Postby EricDoggett » Sat 26. Aug 2017, 03:15

I have a MSP 16. With touch on, the only way I can consistently keep my palm from drawing dots in Illustrator is to make sure I see the pen's cursor on the screen before my palm touches the surface. If any part of my palm hits before the pen tip registers, I will usually get a stray mark (even when I have a screen glove on).

*Assuming* this is normal behavior, is there really such a thing as "palm rejection"? All that seems to be happening is if the tablet registers the pen (and shows the pen cursor), it immediately turns off touch. Otherwise, touch is active.

Does that sound right? It doesn't look as if there's any intelligent technology involved to actually reject the palm (for example, I can't draw and pinch-zoom/rotate at the same time - there's either 'touch/gesture', or pen use. Not both simultaneously).

Eric

tomatogoatee

Re: Is 'palm rejection' a real thing?

Postby tomatogoatee » Thu 31. Aug 2017, 14:22

That is exactly how the palm rejection on the MSP works. As long as the pen is detected, touch input is disabled.

Unfortunately, the touch sensor isn't smart enough to realize that, for example, more than 1cm² of detected input should be rejected as possible palm contact. It just thinks you have a GIGANTIC finger. (Which I believe is the case with all capacitive inputs.)

The palm rejection seems to work a lot better than it did on the CC2, IMO. I think the MSP detects the pen from farther away than the previous tablet, so the palm rejection kicks in quicker. However, my solution is to have one of the express keys set to disable touch input. At least that way you know you won't be getting any stray marks. (Plus, I've never really gotten the pinch-to-zoom or rotate to work correctly in any of the programs I use, so I'm not losing anything.)

Return to “Pen Computers”