Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Cintiq Pro 24 - Fan Speed:
A firmware update was released that should allow you to adjust the fan speed. Please see: here

Windows 10 Fall 2018 Update:
Updating to the newest Windows 10 Fall update? Wacom has identified a few issues within the latest update. Pan/Scroll is not working correctly in some applications. Also, Modifier Clicks do not work when assigned to pen buttons or ExpressKeys, see the screenshot below. The Wacom driver team has submitted a bug report with Microsoft for these issues and will continue to work with them until it is fixed. More information can be found here: here

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave:
Upgrading to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? A new Mac OSX security feature requires some additional changes to run the Wacom Driver correctly. Please see the instructions found on our support page here. Also, If you have any issues, please try a clean driver install. Follow the steps here.

Wacom Drivers:
December 2018: New driver released for Windows (6.3.32-3) and Mac (6.3.32-3). Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Inkspace App Updates: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1949#p5742

Google Chrome Why is Google Chrome not accepting clicks or is lagging?

Registration
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Grip Pen vs Pro Pen 2

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
freedomeagle

Grip Pen vs Pro Pen 2

Postby freedomeagle » Wed 14. Nov 2018, 12:42

I've owned various Cintiqs - the 15X, 18SX, 12WX, 21UX, 22HD, 13HD and Pro 16 and they've all felt slightly different to draw on. I didn't realise until I used the Grip Pen from my 21UX on the 13HD (which came with the original Pro Pen), that this was as much to do with the pen as the tablet. I couldn't use the Pro Pen at all, it was far too easy to reach 100% pressure. With the Grip Pen the 13HD felt the same as the 21UX.

Now I have the Pro 16 and the problem is reversed. I have all my pens set up in Clip Studio, but the Pro Pen 2 has the opposite pressure curve to the Pro Pen. You have to press down very hard to get to 100% - so hard that you would break the tablet if you did it all the time. I have to pump up all my stroke widths in Clip Studio to create the lines I'm used to on the 21UX, but they never look right. I end up using the Grip Pen with the Pro 16 when I am working away from my studio because the Pro Pen 2 feels so different.

Obviously the Wacom Preferences have the pressure curve you can edit to change the feel of the pen, but I have never managed to make the Pro 16 pen feel like the Grip Pen. I have spent hours trying, messing with the pressure curves for the tablet, and the software i use. My lines always feel stiff. I can use the exact same pens and brushes at the same sizes across the older Cintiqs, or using my older pen, even the iPad Pro can make the same lines, but the Pro Pen 2 can't produce them. I set the pen stroke widths to twice the normal size to counteract the Pro Pen 2's pressure curve, but even then, I am fighting with the hardware to get the result I want.

Wacom, why are these devices all set up so differently? Why does drawing on the newest Cintiqs feel so different to the generation before? This is clearly an engineering decision. How do I set up the Pro Pen 2 so it recreates the feel of the Grip Pen?

wacom5

Re: Grip Pen vs Pro Pen 2

Postby wacom5 » Thu 15. Nov 2018, 11:17

Most of these changes come from the technology improvements we made over the years. Some of these changes might not always feel like an improvement, specially when we are talking about personal preference.

Thank you for your thorough feedback. I will forward this to the developers for consideration in the future.

freedomeagle

Postby freedomeagle » Fri 16. Nov 2018, 13:51

Thanks. It may seem like a small point but a lot of pro users, especially comic artists, use the portable tablets for off-site work, around conventions, or when travelling and when inking feels so different between devices, it makes producing consistent work really difficult and frustrating.

elsevilla

Postby elsevilla » Mon 3. Dec 2018, 21:06

I know the pain, or you get super soft strokes or super hard, there is no middle point. Im not sure if its a faulty pen or is designed that way, because some users said that they feel the pressure like regular version one pen.

And that drives me nuts.

PGross1

Postby PGross1 » Mon 10. Dec 2018, 03:31

I've been bothered by the stroke pressure being different between my art pen and my pro pen 2. I like using felt nibs and just did a little testing and found that the pro pen 2 with a felt nib is way harder to get higher pressure than when using a hard plastic nib. I think the small shaft of the nib (compared to earlier pen models) compresses and you lose pressure. Here's a little chart--all three pens set on medium pressure in wacom settings. I think the problem is probably the smaller shafts on the pro pens. Maybe wacom could create some profiles for different pens and nibs. It's definitely a pain when you are used to drawing with certain size strokes and each pen and nib is so different.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Mon 10. Dec 2018, 09:15

Thank you for these tests and for you feedback. I will share this with the team.

elsevilla

Postby elsevilla » Mon 10. Dec 2018, 18:36

I think its time, that wacom give us a better pressure curve software, like clip studio, with a square grid and be able to add more nodes.

Return to “Pen Displays”