Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/
Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Support:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-916
NOTE: Apple already released an update of 10.15 which solves some of these issues. Please make sure you have the latest update.

Why is the cursor on Windows a white dot or crosshairs? [FIXED]:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-661

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you wondering which software to choose, check the trial versions below:

Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
johnnythedraw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:48

Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby johnnythedraw » Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:52

Many people have already noted the dreaded wavy line issue with the Cintiq Pro 16 line. Many people have also noted the problem that it is basically impossible for the Cintiq Pro 16 to support the 4k resolution advertised.

I am thinking and wondering if these two problems are actually related. Perhaps the Wavy line issue is being caused by thefact that the 16 pro can't really handle the 4k resolution and that everything is actually 2k or 1480p. Maybe the forced lower resolution is causing diagonal lines to jump as you draw (the wavy line issue). Maybe at 2k or 1480 (whatever lower res) is creating a kind of pixel "skipping" and "hopping" and "wavy line" effect as you draw. I'd love to hear people's thoughts experience with this theory that the wavy lines are actually caused by the "no 4k problem" ( cintiq pro 16's inability to handle true 4k).

I also wonder if Wacom knows about this distasterous glitch and possible cause (cintiq pro 16's inability to handle true 4k causing the wavy line issue) and will discontinue the cintiq pro 16 (since this problem is not present in the 24 and 32 pro and they just released a different cintiq 16 NON pro model at a lower resolution).

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions are greatly appreciated! I am really tired of wacom issues.

wacom5
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue 8. Aug 2017, 14:35

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby wacom5 » Fri 25. Jan 2019, 09:21

These issues are not related whatsoever.
The wavy lines issues were addressed with Pen firmware updates in 2017 and I haven't heard any reports of this issue since. The 4k issues where addressed with the release of the Wacom Link Plus.
If you have issues with your device, please contact the customer support team - https://support.wacom.com

johnnythedraw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:48

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby johnnythedraw » Sat 26. Jan 2019, 09:35

If they are not related and you don't want buyers to think they are related, I would recommend wacom provide compatible 4k cables (as I have heard the link pro 4k cable provided does not support 4k unless you buy a separate brand).

As for the wavy line issue even with the newest drivers there is still a slight wavy issues---yes much less but still a little.

Lastly wacom, are you discontinuing the cintiq 16 pro anytime soon? The product has had bad reviews and there is a cintiq 16 that was just released this year.

wacom5
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue 8. Aug 2017, 14:35

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby wacom5 » Mon 28. Jan 2019, 09:54

johnnythedraw wrote:If they are not related and you don't want buyers to think they are related, I would recommend wacom provide compatible 4k cables...

Still don't understand how could the 2 issues be related or why would anyone think that for that matter. We have other devices in our portfolio with larger screens and lower resolutions that didn't have this issue. The wavy lines issue was purely firmware related and was fixed with an update.

johnnythedraw wrote:I would recommend wacom provide compatible 4k cables (as I have heard the link pro 4k cable provided does not support 4k unless you buy a separate brand).

Which cable? That is not true, the USB-C and miniDisplayPort cables do support 4k. I have tested this myself.

johnnythedraw wrote:As for the wavy line issue even with the newest drivers there is still a slight wavy issues---yes much less but still a little.

Since the firmware update was released I didn't see any new complains. In any case, there might a slight waviness when you draw slow strokes. That is just how EMR works.

johnnythedraw wrote:Lastly wacom, are you discontinuing the cintiq 16 pro anytime soon? The product has had bad reviews and there is a cintiq 16 that was just released this year.

No idea. The Cintiq Pro 16 is the upgraded version of the Cintiq 16 for customers that need that extra resolution and touch input.

johnnythedraw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:48

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby johnnythedraw » Mon 28. Jan 2019, 22:51

to get full 4k on usb-c you have to buy a third party usb-c cable. The cable that comes with the wacom link is not compatible with many usb-c computers. The 4k cable incompatibility issue has been documented by many users and some product reviewers as well.

I understand that the wavy line issue has been reduced with the latest firmware but it it still slightly present. I will accept your explanation that the inability to get true 4k due to cable issues and the wavy line issue are unrelated. I will also accept the point that the wavy line issue has improved SLIGHTLY due to new drivers.

Forgive me for mentioning some of these issues but they have been a challenge. If you would like to help people arrive at a solution please recomment an appropriate usb-c third party cable that will allow the cintiq pro 16 to work with usb-c PC computers. If you only tested the cable that comes with the wacom link on a thunderbolt 3 Mac computer then that may have worked.

For those folks with a pc, please let me know what third party usb-c cable worked for you.

Thanks

wacom5
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue 8. Aug 2017, 14:35

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby wacom5 » Tue 29. Jan 2019, 09:29

johnnythedraw wrote:to get full 4k on usb-c you have to buy a third party usb-c cable. The cable that comes with the wacom link is not compatible with many usb-c computers. The 4k cable incompatibility issue has been documented by many users and some product reviewers as well.

I have not heard of this before. I do know of some specific brands USB-C implementation not working well with our products but that is not related with the cable.

johnnythedraw wrote:I understand that the wavy line issue has been reduced with the latest firmware but it it still slightly present. I will accept your explanation that the inability to get true 4k due to cable issues and the wavy line issue are unrelated. I will also accept the point that the wavy line issue has improved SLIGHTLY due to new drivers.

As much as it has improved, the wavy lines you observe with your Cintiq might not be normal so please check with our customer support to be sure - https://support.wacom.com

johnnythedraw wrote:Forgive me for mentioning some of these issues but they have been a challenge. If you would like to help people arrive at a solution please recomment an appropriate usb-c third party cable that will allow the cintiq pro 16 to work with usb-c PC computers. If you only tested the cable that comes with the wacom link on a thunderbolt 3 Mac computer then that may have worked.

Your questions and concerns are as valid as anyone else's. As much as we would like, unfortunately we are not able to test every other cable and every other PC.
Brands implement USB-C in different ways and this is not just hardware. Some of these issues may also be related to firmware.
There are just many factors and things that change constantly to be able to guarantee a third party cable will work 100% with your PC computer.
The cable included (considering is not defective) should work with any USB-C port that matches the specifications.

What is your computer by the way?

johnnythedraw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:48

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby johnnythedraw » Thu 7. Feb 2019, 21:37

I have returned the cintiq pro 16 back to wacom. Just way to many connectivity issues. Now I am wondering if I should buy a regular cintiq 16 or replace it with a new cintiq pro 16 as a replacement. I have asked wacom support several questions regarding the cintiq 16 and cintiq pro 16 and have received answers back that were not legible English. It appears wacom is outsourcing customer support---and outsourcing it to companies that do not speak English! I am left asking my questions here because I have no choice.

1. The driver for both the cintiq pro 16 and the regular cintiq 16 is EXACTLY the same. The specs for the cintiq PRO 16 say it can work on Mac OS 10.11. The specs on the cintiq REGULAR 16 say it can work on 10.12. YET, Both cintiq's use the same Mac exact drivers (see your driver site which has the same Mac driver for both model DTK-1660and1661 the regular cintiq 16 and DTH-1620 the cintiq pro 16). The drivers site says that both cintiq models are compatible with the same driver.

So which site literature is correct??? The specs that say it only works with 10.12 or the driver site that says both cintiq's use the same driver?

2. In other words, Will a Regular cintiq 16 DTK 1660 work with a macbookpro running os x 10.11?

3. Also, is the Cintiq PRO 16 DTH1620 compatible with Mac OSX 10.11?

Thanks

wacom5
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue 8. Aug 2017, 14:35

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby wacom5 » Fri 8. Feb 2019, 11:16

johnnythedraw wrote:I have returned the cintiq pro 16 back to wacom. Just way to many connectivity issues. Now I am wondering if I should buy a regular cintiq 16 or replace it with a new cintiq pro 16 as a replacement. I have asked wacom support several questions regarding the cintiq 16 and cintiq pro 16 and have received answers back that were not legible English. It appears wacom is outsourcing customer support---and outsourcing it to companies that do not speak English! I am left asking my questions here because I have no choice.

Across all regions, the Customer Support Team supports many different languages. Most of the team members speak different languages and not all representatives are native English speakers. We all try to communicate as clearly as possible (I am not native English either), but mistakes can happen. I will forward this feedback to the team.

johnnythedraw wrote:1. The driver for both the cintiq pro 16 and the regular cintiq 16 is EXACTLY the same. The specs for the cintiq PRO 16 say it can work on Mac OS 10.11. The specs on the cintiq REGULAR 16 say it can work on 10.12. YET, Both cintiq's use the same Mac exact drivers (see your driver site which has the same Mac driver for both model DTK-1660and1661 the regular cintiq 16 and DTH-1620 the cintiq pro 16). The drivers site says that both cintiq models are compatible with the same driver.

So which site literature is correct??? The specs that say it only works with 10.12 or the driver site that says both cintiq's use the same driver?

Both work with the latest Mac driver. In fact, the Cintiq 16 will require the latest driver to work - it will not work in previous versions.
El Capitan is dropping out of support from Apple soon anyway so we should not be advertising the product with minimum requirements as 10.11.
Also just because the driver is supported in OS 10.11, does not necessarily mean that the device itself is supported in 10.11.

johnnythedraw wrote:2. In other words, Will a Regular cintiq 16 DTK 1660 work with a macbookpro running os x 10.11?

It might work even though it's not officially supported. I would only recommend getting this device if you have the option to upgrade to 10.12 or later.

johnnythedraw wrote:3. Also, is the Cintiq PRO 16 DTH1620 compatible with Mac OSX 10.11?

It should work but you might not be able to install future driver updates.

I strongly recommend you look into upgrading 10.11.

johnnythedraw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu 24. Jan 2019, 21:48

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 issues

Postby johnnythedraw » Sat 9. Feb 2019, 06:23

If the cintiq pro 16 had been able to connect to my pc in the first place I would not even be using my older mac!

The models from year 2017 are very hard to connect to most pc's

Now the company has released a second generation wacom link "plus" to remedy this. Okay well I bought one in 2017, not 2018 or 2019.

Now I am being told to either upgrade or buy a new mac to work with a cintiq that may or may not work.

I appreciate your clear responses but the headache the compatibility issues have causes is laughable. Next time I will make sure to buy 5 computers and cross my fingers that some wacom device will work with it.

Fortunately, I am not the only one. The amazon reviews for the cintiq pro 16 are still very low and people are still complaining about the new ones.

Best of luck.


Return to “Pen Displays”