Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/
Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Support:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-916
NOTE: Apple already released an update of 10.15 which solves some of these issues. Please make sure you have the latest update.

Why is the cursor on Windows a white dot or crosshairs? [FIXED]:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-661

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you wondering which software to choose, check the trial versions below:

Opinions about Cintiq tablets

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
xAnaMG

Opinions about Cintiq tablets

Postby xAnaMG » Mon 17. Jun 2019, 22:24

Hi!

My old tablet is so scratched and I'm looking for a new one.
I'm mostly interested in Wacom Cintiq models, however my PC doesn't have USB-C port so I've been looking for second hand ones.

The ones I'm most interested in are the 13HD and the Companion2 because there's only a gap of 150-200€ between them and, even when portability is not a must, it could be really welcome. I've read that Companion2 can be connected to the PC, but the problems is that I've read lots of comments saying that it has some temperature problems.

It seems that, with the Wacom Link Plus device, I could use the new Cintiq 13PRO.

I'm looking for opinions from actual owners in order to decide which one I should buy?
I should go for the new 13PRO? Or I should go for a second one 13HD or Companion2?

Thank you so much in advance.

wacom5

Re: Opinions about Cintiq tablets

Postby wacom5 » Tue 18. Jun 2019, 07:52

Hello and welcome.
I did use Cintiqs before and use them a little bit every now and then, but for daily work, I use an Intuos Pro. This is just my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
From all the models you mentioned, I would pick the Cintiq Pro 13 that comes with the Wacom Link Plus. This device will last you a long time and will be USB-C compatible when you will eventually upgrade your computer. It's the most future proof.

worldclock2017

Postby worldclock2017 » Thu 20. Jun 2019, 05:28

If you are drawing or painting, then a Cintiq is the way to go. If you are doing photo manipulation/graphic design, then stick with an intuos: you aren't going to need the extra precision of a Cintiq for this type of work.

I am on my 2nd Cintiq and love them, but I do have some valid concerns about them.

My first one lasted just 4 years before it broke down on me. It cost me $2500 and when contacting Wacom, they informed me that they would not fix it because it was older hardware - even though at the time, many artists were still using this particular model (Cintiq 21 UX)

At $2500 I would expect a computer monitor to last more than 4 years, no? I purchased a $300 HP monitor with the exact same resolution 15 years ago, and it STILL works - and it has had MUCH more daily use than my Cintiq ever did.

I am now using a 27 QHD which I paid $3700 for - and I love it. Again though - this had better last me at least a decade at that price. A 27" monitor goes for maybe $150 or $200 - so why does this one go for $3000+ ? If this lasts me another 10 years I will be satisfied.

But more and more, I am reading new posts here about how someone's 27QHD has broken down and needs repair. This is freaking me out.

The problem is, if mine somehow breaks down after just 2 1/2 years of NON-DAILY use, then I am going to have to package it up, ship it out to another country and pay what will surely end up being more than $1000 to have it shipped and serviced. It's not like a Samsung or LG, where you can just run it down to any repair shop like Best Buy and have it fixed in a few days. I don't think Wacom even has an office in Canada, so we are forced to send this thing out to somewhere in the middle of the USA to have it looked at, at an enormous price. Considering what we paid for it, and then adding on repair/shipping costs, this becomes not worth it in the first place anymore.

I am crossing my fingers than this 27QHD lasts me a long time, but since my first one died on me pretty fast, and seeing all these new posts about other people's 27QHD's breaking down on them, I am not holding my breath.

It's circumstances like this that are forcing me to consider other cheaper options that we now have. I know that Wacom manufactures the best tablets, but there are always going to be lemons in the batch and if you get one, you are in for a LOT of wasted money. Until they bring these units down to more realistic price points, buying a Cintiq is a great idea but can also be a huge risk. They are NOT worth the money they charge, that much is for sure, but in this case you gotta pay to play. I would honestly research other brands on YouTube and see if you can settle for a more realistic price on something that may not be as sturdy, but might be just be good enough for you. Or again, if you can get away with an Intuos or something, then that is absolutely the way to go because you aren't risking huge money there.

That said, Cintiqs are the best tablets to draw and paint on. But if mine breaks down on me any time soon (yet again) then there is no way I am buying another one. Not after spending more than $6000 on two tablets that both broke down within 4 years each, no way. I will 100% switch brands to something cheaper than I can still be satisfied with.

But if mine lasts me up to 10 years as it should at that price, then I am definitely a satisfied customer and would purchase another when the time comes. Only time will tell. Thanks for reading.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Mon 24. Jun 2019, 09:44

That is great feedback. Thank you very much for this.

worldclock2017

Postby worldclock2017 » Sat 6. Jul 2019, 19:13

An additional thought on Cintiqs:

most of your drawing/painting will take place somewhere in the middle of your Cintiq screen. When it comes time to move over to the left or right side of your painting, you are most likely to use the Pan tool in your art application to drag that section of the painting in to the middle of the screen where your drawing hand currently is, as opposed to actually moving your hand way across the screen to paint over on that side. This is a huge advantage of digital painting over traditional painting: that you can move all sections of your canvas to the middle of the screen so you don't need to stretch way over to the sides.

Having said that: this makes having a very large screen kind of a waste of space and money (like a Cintiq 32" for example): you aren't going to be painting on the extreme edges of the screen, so what is the point of having all that extra space on both sides when it will not be used for much more than maybe having your art applications' panels over there. You will still need to reach way over to click on those buttons/tools, so you will be more likely to pull those in closer to the center of the screen as well so you on't have to reach so far. This makes all that extra screen space a waste.

I have a Cintiq 27" and find that here is more than enough screen space, and I don't even use the left side of it due to my regular position when sitting infront of it. I could easily get away with a Cintiq 24" Pro, and the fact that it has a higher resolution (4K) this means that there are way more pixels, which in turn *also* gives you way more screen space, without having to reach so far like on a 32".

I would never go for a 32", because of so many factors:

1. cost (it's outrageous)
2. repairs: when something goes wrong, good luck shipping that thing out of your country just to have it fixed, and then shipped back - now you are adding on an extra $1000 ontop of the already near $5000 original price for it - just not worth it
3. fans - these things have fans which apparently are very loud, even when running at lower speeds - so if you want to play music or use voice recognition to control your art applications (using a microphone), you are out of luck because you are going to be surrounded by constant fan noise in your work area
4. there are "ghosting" issues with the type of display panel it uses - look it up for more clarification
5. I can't imagine they are selling too many of these (my local shop has just one in stock at any given time, and once they sell it then they order another), so does this mean discontinuation sooner? Have to think about that.

If I ever had to get another Cintiq, it would be the 24" Pro. Lower cost, less headaches if problems happen, the increased resolution means more screen space at a comfortable physical screen size.

Just my 2 cents ;)

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Mon 8. Jul 2019, 13:58

Thank you again for the additional feedback. I have shared this with the team.

However with there are a few things I think we need to clarify:
worldclock2017 wrote:3. fans - these things have fans which apparently are very loud, even when running at lower speeds - so if you want to play music or use voice recognition to control your art applications (using a microphone), you are out of luck because you are going to be surrounded by constant fan noise in your work area
There have been no complaints about this issue on the 32" model. This was an issue with the 24" model which was addressed with the firmware update. Many customers reported this fixed the problem.
worldclock2017 wrote:4. there are "ghosting" issues with the type of display panel it uses - look it up for more clarification
Do you have a reference? I couldn't find any specific report of ghosting issues with the CP32 specifically. Yes the response rate is not the highest which will probably not make this the best device for video editing and / or gaming, but aside from that, this shouldn't be a problem.

PGross1

Postby PGross1 » Mon 8. Jul 2019, 19:26

I've had basically every size Cintiq--and upgraded from the 27 to the 32 earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. The 27 was great--the 32 is even better. I have some hand problems so I need to zoom in on my work to be steady, so the extra screen real estate is great because I can still see more of my drawing. I'm a comic artist, and the screen is just about the same height as a traditional; 11x17 comic page so you can work at that size if you want and still see the whole page at once. I've never been bothered by fan noise, and I'm sensitive to that. I've returned hard drives before because the fan noise drove me nuts. Also never noticed any ghosting. The display is fantastic. If I were looking for opinions on displays, I wouldn't give much credence to people who have never used the device but still feel like they have great advice for you.

The only trouble I've had with the 32 is that there is some interference with the remote dongle when it is plugged into the back of the unit. I'd get weird random firing commands. If I move the dongle into the side ports it works fine. They sent me a replacement display and the same thing happened. I'm fine with the dongle in the side port.

worldclock2017

Postby worldclock2017 » Sat 13. Jul 2019, 04:38

wacom5 wrote:
worldclock2017 wrote:4. there are "ghosting" issues with the type of display panel it uses - look it up for more clarification
Do you have a reference? I couldn't find any specific report of ghosting issues with the CP32 specifically. Yes the response rate is not the highest which will probably not make this the best device for video editing and / or gaming, but aside from that, this shouldn't be a problem.

yes, there are at least 2 different users who are experiencing the ghosting problem.

You will find information about it in the very first post in the link below, and also later on down the page by a user named 'underhill64' - both are reporting the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments ... _thoughts/

it's good to know that the fan noise is being dealt with, but so for the only information I've seen about it is that the latest firmware can lower the speeds and noise, but not totally eliminate it.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Mon 15. Jul 2019, 14:02

worldclock2017 wrote:yes, there are at least 2 different users who are experiencing the ghosting problem.

You will find information about it in the very first post in the link below, and also later on down the page by a user named 'underhill64' - both are reporting the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments ... _thoughts/

it's good to know that the fan noise is being dealt with, but so for the only information I've seen about it is that the latest firmware can lower the speeds and noise, but not totally eliminate it.

Thanks a lot!

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue 23. Jul 2019, 15:36

I have a Cintiq 27 QHD Touch and have to concur with almost everything worldclock2017 has said. My current unit is the second I've had - my first was replaced under warranty as the screen died (to be fair to Wacom, their support was excellent in that case). However, I am concerned that my current Cintiq could go wrong at any minute as touch has been even more erratic than usual recently (support told me my PC is at fault, not the Cintiq, but couldn't tell me how to fix it).

When it works a Cintiq is fantastic. However, there are lots of shortcomings and I doubt very much I would buy another. A big selling point for me was the touch functionality and it is next to useless. I spend way too much time erasing marks made by my fingers and arm. There is more parallax than I expected, its workable but you do notice it (especially if you compare to an iPad Pro), physically it's very large and cumbersome (mine is on the stand). And of course there are the reliability issues.

Despite this, it may still be the best option but I'd be inclined to try the Dell Canvas, or a Microsoft Studio next time. Or even better, hopefully Apple will come up with a larger iPad Pro. Although they are far from perfect, the drawing experience on an iPad Pro is much better than a Cintiq, in my opinion.

Return to “Pen Displays”