NEW tablet drivers 6.3.21-10 for Windows and 6.3.21-8 for OSX released. For release notes use the link below the driver on the download page. Main change is support for the new Cintiq Pro 16 model and a new 'Wacom echo' feature for MobileStudio Pro.

for Windows: Fixed several problems related to touch on display tablets. Last update for an issue with transferring paper sketches or sketching in Inkspace

for OSX: Wavy lines problem fixed polus a number of other issues fixed or improved.

Cintiq Pro 16 in the wild?

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
Rocketboots

Cintiq Pro 16 in the wild?

Postby Rocketboots » Sat 11. Mar 2017, 13:56

Has anyone here been able to use one? What are your impressions?

Aside from the displays and pen performance I'm really curious to know how screen toggle works without the extra express key remote. I'm not thrilled at the idea of paying £90 for an extra bit of clutter to get back a core function which has been an integral part of the product line for years.

Leamonade

Re: Cintiq Pro 16 in the wild?

Postby Leamonade » Thu 6. Apr 2017, 17:19

Hey, Trev, is that you?

I bought a 16 the other day but right now I can't recommend it at all.

The lack of buttons doesn't bother me cos I never used them anyway, I always mapped display toggle to one of the buttons on the pen. Sorry, I can't be any help there.

My problem is that the drivers are broken cos I'm using Sierra, but even when I tried the tablet on my laptop with El Capitan, it's still not perfect. I get wiggly lines on both the mac and MacBook but it's less severe in El Capitan. I'm having to use Hej Stylus to help keep the lines smooth but I don't like it for sketching because it's too smooth, even with everything turned down low.

Also, I can't get it to go up to 4k. I've tried getting a new cable that's definitely 4k enabled but that didn't work.

Finally, tablet mode. I was excited that I could just press a button so the monitor would switch off and it would turn into an Intuos (Particularly great for the summer months when the monitor gets uncomfortably warm). With my cintiq 13 HD I'd have to keep unplugging the DisplayPort cable to get the same result. However, with the 16, when you're in tablet mode it treats all monitors as one monitor so I can't use it for drawing! Even though in Cintiq mode it treats each monitor as a separate thing and you have to use display toggle to get to each one which is exactly what I want. I can't find any way to get it to work the same way in both modes. I have 3 monitors (The iMac, cintiq, and a dell monitor) right now the only way I can fix the problem is to get rid of the dell monitor but obviously, that isn't the ideal solution.

If you do happen to buy this then I can recommend getting it from Jigsaw24.com if you have any problems, or it breaks then you can just send or take it back to their office in Soho and theoretically it should be better than sending it back directly to Wacom.

UPDATE:

TABLET MODE DISPLAY TOGGLE PROBLEM - FIXED
When you click on tablet mode it will immediately treat all monitors as one monitor, then if you press display toggle you can cycle between both monitors then it'll go back to treating all monitors as one on the third click. I just hadn't thought to try clicking display toggle >_<

WIGGLY WAVY LINES - FIXED-ISH
So if I use brushes with really rough textures you can't notice any wiggle at all and sketching with them feels really lovely, I can leave Hej Stylus off now whilst sketching which is exactly how I like it. Then turn Hej Stylus back on when I need sharper lines. I do love drawing with this, the surface is great with the felt nib, it's smooth but never feels like I'm drawing on plastic or glass. When I'm physically drawing on the screen, the feedback from the pen feels strangely cushiony, like I'm drawing on a pad of paper. I love it, I just wish it would work as intended straight away without me having to tear my hair out looking for workarounds!

Update: 11th April - MY WIGGLY LINES ARE FIXED! Downloaded the driver that came out today, 6.3.21-8. I'm still running macOS Sierra and it works, IT FINALLY WORKS!!

4K PROBLEM
Haven't had a chance to come up with any ways to get around this. :(
Last edited by Leamonade on Tue 11. Apr 2017, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.

TheNoLifeKing

Postby TheNoLifeKing » Fri 7. Apr 2017, 15:03

Have you tried using res switcher x on mac? This is the only way I could get mine to go into 4k, although I was hooked up directly with USB-C

Rocketboots

Postby Rocketboots » Fri 7. Apr 2017, 23:08

Shussssh Lea! Don't blow my cover ;)

Thanks for the info! Especially about jigsaw, I don't fancy any faffing about if I need to return it.

I'll be using it on Windows, where apparently it works without any extra software, though I'll need to buy a proper 4K DisplayPort cable (cheers Wacom).

Perhaps your GFX card can't drive it at 4K as well as two other displays at the same time. Have you tried disconnecting the 3rd display and then trying to set the resolution?

Leamonade

Postby Leamonade » Tue 11. Apr 2017, 19:17

Sorry! Hehe. No probs. Jigsaw24 also have Wacom events on where you can go try out the devices and someone who works for Wacom will be there to talk to.

I tried your 4k advice, unfortunately that didn't work. :(

I haven't tried res switcher x work around yet simply because A) I saw a review where someone insisted it gave them a virus, and B) other reviews with people saying if you don't know what you're doing you'll end up messing things up :S I'll check out some youtube vids.

Also, just wanna mention again that I can confirm that my wavy line/Sierra problem is fixed with the new 6.3.21-8 driver!

glinda3175

Postby glinda3175 » Tue 11. Apr 2017, 21:00

Have been using the Cintiq Pro 16 since the day after Wacom released them. Still getting used to the Display Toggle between screens (having graduated from an Intuos). Going to have to get the Express Key remote as I miss my presets. AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro doesn't want to place nice with the Cintiq though - the screen flickers off and on when I move the pen to the point where I can't draw anything.

Return to “Pen Displays”