News 20.07.2020:
Dear customer, due to cookie policies we cannot allow embedding pictures from 3rd party sites any more.
In case you want to show our support teams a picture, open a case at http://www.wacom.com/support/contact-support
Thanks for your understanding.

Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Support:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-916

Mac OS 10.15.4 Update:
What does the Mac OS warning message “Legacy System Extension” mean and why am I seeing it?

eStore Shipping
Please note that reduced UPS service might affect your region due to CoVid-19 situation. See updated details for UPS serviceshttps://www.ups.com/de/en/service-alerts.page?id=alert1

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Purchasing a new Cintiq 22" vs 24" pro

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
PSDesign

Purchasing a new Cintiq 22" vs 24" pro

Postby PSDesign » Fri 4. Sep 2020, 11:50

Hi all,

my Cintiq 21 UX 1st generation failed to work. Now I need to purchase a new one.

My old Cintiq worked fine for me. Do I need a cintiq 22" or the expensive 24" Pro to replace my old one?

Kind regards,
Patrick

worldclock2017

Re: Purchasing a new Cintiq 22" vs 24" pro

Postby worldclock2017 » Sat 5. Sep 2020, 08:34

Do your research.

Buying an expensive Cintiq these days is a huge risk in my opinion.

There are many many users with still relatively new Cintiq 27" QHD's that are already running into big problems with. And those things cost more than $3500 - all for a 27" computer monitor. I'm one of them and luckily I haven't had it long enough to run into problems but from what I'm reading I can expect mine to crap out on me pretty soon.

I also had a 21UX and it only lasted me 4 years - not at all worth the money I paid for it. I paid $2500 for it (at the time) so I expected it to last me well over a decade, but it didn't last even half of that.

I would do some honest research on these monitors and carefully decide if the money is worth the headaches you're going to have in the not-too-distant future with them. All the "hype" on these monitors is in question, believe me.

Sorry to be a party pooper but I'm just trying to give an honest and practicle answer for you.

PSDesign

Postby PSDesign » Sun 6. Sep 2020, 11:38

Hi worldclock,

thank you for your reply! Well I'm sad to hear that your Cintiq only did last for four years.
Mine did last for a decade and served me well. I have to admit that my power connector failed once and now failed twice but hey I'm talking about a decade.
Now that there is no power connector available to purchase and the displaytablet is really old I want to replace it.
The reason why I ask here is because there is no option to test a Cintiq 22" or a Cintintiq 24" Pro over here.
No one I asked over the hotlines ever worked with such a device.

Tbh this feels pretty odd!

And hey worldclock I wish you better luck!

worldclock2017

Postby worldclock2017 » Sun 6. Sep 2020, 20:35

it feels odd because it IS odd. Their reps should be using their latest tech. Makes you wonder who the reps are- are they farmed out to third party or something. All I know is that these Cintiqs used to be the flagship of digital drawing tablets but in recent years that has really taken a dive- there are way too many users purchasing defective units right now, just do the google search (reddit has a few large topics) and you will find this information.

Still awesome monitors, but the risk is becoming too much now. There's a good chance you will have problems very early on and then good luck trying to ship something that big through the mail and outside of the country just for a repair bill that can tack on another thousand dollars. And even after this there are some many complaints of the monitor still not working properly/the problem re-appears after repair. It's not like we can just walk in our local repair shop, it won' work that way. It has to go back to Wacom directly and that is the big problem. How many offices do they have; there isn't even an office in my entire country.

I love my 27" but am trying to limit using it so I can delay these problems I am certainly about to face.

Aldo, stuck/dead pixels is a concern with the "pro" units right now. So be weary.

PSDesign

Postby PSDesign » Tue 8. Sep 2020, 10:15

Hi worldclock,

well that sounds pretty bad! Not being able to rely on such an expensive product would mean you can't rely on anything.

What would be your suggestion?
Going to draw on paper again and use a scanner?
No choice either!

Kind regards,
Patrick

hmhmhm

Postby hmhmhm » Thu 10. Sep 2020, 04:08

I would say go get the non touch 24 pro. It's $2000, but:
- subtract the cost of $99 express key remote
-it's a 4k monitor.
-the ability to use felt nibs.

You risk scratching the glass surface of cintiq 22 if you use felt nibs.
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support%EF% ... -(DTK-2260)%3F&guideId=015-988

The reason why I bought cintiq 22 is because in my country cintiq 24 pro non-touch is 2.7 times more expensive than cintiq 22.

PSDesign

Postby PSDesign » Sat 12. Sep 2020, 01:09

Thx for the reply! I'm wondering there is no one else answering!

My Cintiq 21UX 1st gen. never made problems (despite the failing power connector).

The surface of the screen was also no problem to me, as I could see no scratches working with it.
It had a lot of scratches being visible while being turned off, as it was a used device (hardly refurbished one).
No other scratches after using it without a felt tip/nib-pen.

No need to use an extra device as shortcuts are already my friend and the for sure the pen options.
At least 4 K might be better at my age over the time. ;)
But hey my one did last for long so far!.

Did my own old Cintiq 21 UX 1. gen had a bad parallaxe?
I guess it's meant as the tip of your point where your holding it at, right?

Kind regards,
Patrick
Last edited by PSDesign on Fri 18. Sep 2020, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

PSDesign

Postby PSDesign » Sat 12. Sep 2020, 01:12

I guess I can live with the choice to purchase a low price one of them, compared to my new one as there will be better devices in near future...

Polart

Postby Polart » Fri 2. Oct 2020, 16:43

I had the same dilemma when jumping on the Cintiq band wagon coming from decades on Intuos tabets.
I do work as a pro illustrator so the choice should have been obvious. Burt I went for the 22 and I am haooy with it. That said I have it hooked to a retina iMac that I use as reference screen. The lower resolution on the 22 is quite obvious ofcourse but I got used to it quick.
My decisive argument argument was that 5 to 10 years ago al lot of pro studios I know worked with the 22HD. And some artists still do. If they could do it why not me. And besides the price is right. I do not feel the need to upgrade anywhere soon.

PSDesign

Postby PSDesign » Mon 12. Oct 2020, 23:41

Thank you! I purchased the Cintiq 22" and it feels fine to work with it. The precision is really high and it begins to feel even more like using my pencils on paper. I have to rethink working with it as it has no adjustable stand/base like my old Cintiq 21 UX. But hey it's more precise than my old one.

Drawing on my new one I still prefer to draw without wearing glasses but looking at the screen regarding text or the toolbars as well as the menus I get a different effect.
I need to keep the new Cintiq closer to me to work with.
As I'm far-sighted I need to put my glasses on working in that mode. If I do so I can see the grid between the pixels on the screen again.
Well if I'm sketching I prefer the "unprecise" mode but the screen behind it is out of focus with glasses on.

No clue yet if a 4K screen would be better then.
First time for me wearing glasses. What do you think?

THX in advance for sharing your experiance!

Return to “Pen Displays”