NEW tablet driver 6.3.23-4 for OSX released. For release notes use the link below the driver on the download page. Fixed: Problem mit modifiers on keyboard in combination with pentip, accidential double-clicks etc. Last update for an issue with ZBrush navigation.

New version for for Windows 6.3.23-1: Fixed various problems - zooming with expresskeys, 'driver not responding' error message and others.

For more details see the driver release notes on the driver download page.

Note: All users seeing wavy lines using a Wacom Pro Pen 2 with Wacom Cintiq Pro 13” or 16”, please update the tablet pen firmware to version 1.2.3.0 to address this issue. The update is now available via the Wacom Desktop Center application on your computer. - There is now also such a firmware update for MobileStudio Pro for this issue.

intuos 4: any possibility to reduce pen to tablet distance sensibility?

Intuos, Intuos Pro, Bamboo, Graphire, etc.
RRSimon

intuos 4: any possibility to reduce pen to tablet distance sensibility?

Postby RRSimon » Mon 27. Feb 2017, 18:09

Hello to everyone,

as this thread's subject indicates, I'm struggling with the following issue:
my intuos4 already recognizes the pen by a distance between pen tip and tablet of about 15 mm (~0,6").
For my taste, this is far too sensitive as it constantly results in "sticky" inputs on sliders or "non-stopping" painting, when I lift the pen from the tablet.
Having to lift the pen about 15 mm does not seems very ergonomic.
My trusty intuos 2 is way better to work with in that regard, as the tablet "releases" the pen at a distance of about 8-10 mm.

So I'd like to know, if there is anything that I could do about this.
I wouldn't mind, if it would need to alter driver settings via Terminal or similar.
I'm on OSX, btw.

thanks to everyone with a helpful solution!

Rockfax

Re: intuos 4: any possibility to reduce pen to tablet distance sensibility?

Postby Rockfax » Fri 3. Mar 2017, 10:13

This same problem appeared for me this week (Tuesday 28th Feb 2017) after many months with the pen working perfectly. Suddenly the drag and lift inertia was all messed up and the pen tip became 'sticky' as you say. This makes drawing clean bezier lines in Illustrator awkward since you have to lift the pen perfectly vertically between each point. Also, dragging anything to a position results in it slipping as you lift the pen most times.

I checked the Settings and noticed that three separate App configurations had appeared from AdobeCC. I never installed these and I don't know how long they have been there. However the sticky pen was playing up in all sorts of apps so I can't see why this would have caused a problem, but I did find some comments elsewhere about the malfunctioning pen being connected to Adobe CC which is why I mention it.

I have cranked the Tip Feel up to firm and this has improved it so that this sticky lag has mostly disappeared however it still isn't like it used to be. Also, actually tap clicking has become much less sensitive and I need to tap a lot harder.

I have emailed Wacom support about this but not had a reply yet. I am just puzzled as to why this should have happened from one day to the next this week without me going anywhere near any tablet settings. I also have a problem with a double-clciking mouse but that is another story.

Alan

Rockfax

Postby Rockfax » Fri 3. Mar 2017, 10:56

This same problem appeared for me this week (Tuesday 28th Feb 2017) after many months with the pen working perfectly. Suddenly the drag and lift inertia was all messed up and the pen tip became 'sticky' as you say. This makes drawing clean bezier lines in Illustrator awkward since you have to lift the pen perfectly vertically between each point. Also, dragging anything to a position results in it slipping as you lift the pen most times.

I checked the Settings and noticed that three separate App configurations had appeared from AdobeCC. I never installed these and I don't know how long they have been there. However the sticky pen was playing up in all sorts of apps so I can't see why this would have caused a problem, but I did find some comments elsewhere about the malfunctioning pen being connected to Adobe CC which is why I mention it.

I have cranked the Tip Feel up to firm and this has improved it so that this sticky lag has mostly disappeared however it still isn't like it used to be. Also, actually tap clicking has become much less sensitive and I need to tap a lot harder.

I have emailed Wacom support about this but not had a reply yet. I am just puzzled as to why this should have happened from one day to the next this week without me going anywhere near any tablet settings. I also have a problem with a double-clciking mouse but that is another story.

Alan
Last edited by Rockfax on Mon 6. Mar 2017, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Sun 5. Mar 2017, 17:09

The tablet driver has a number of preconfigured settings for specific applications. As soon as such an app is detected, settings for that app are shown in the driver. -You can prevent that by removing the respective preset file from 'App Specific Settings' folder and restarting the driver. - In your case I would first backup the settings, then use 'reset/remove settings' in the Wacom Desktop Center. See if that helps and fixes the problem. I would also check the pen in the driver diagnostics. Sometimes a pen shows pressure before touching the tablet ... and that can also cause such problems.

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Sun 5. Mar 2017, 17:36

For the original question: if you have problems with a sticky pen, issues with penclicking and dragging on OSX Sierra: open the mouse control panel and move the slider for mouse doubleclick speed towards 'fast'. I would also check the pen pressure in the driver diagnostics: if the pen has too high pressure without touching the tablet, it can also be sticky. (In this case move the tip feel slider to firm or increase the setting for the click pressure threshold (tip feel slider -> details)

Rockfax

Postby Rockfax » Mon 6. Mar 2017, 08:54

In your case I would first backup the settings, then use 'reset/remove settings' in the Wacom Desktop Center.

Resetting the settings in the Driver works to a limited extent, and it appears to only do so for a limited time. For example, this morning I was getting a double-click from the mouse 90% of the time when I tried resetting as you suggest. Now it is only doing it 25% of the time. Based on past experience, it will be back up to 90% by tomorrow. In both cases the double-click speed was set at maximum.

This isn't really a solution though is it? It is a hack or workaround pushing the settings to their extreme to try and stop something that shouldn't really be happening and that certainly didn't happen on previous Apple-Wacom Driver systems.

I have no specific app settings having reset the system so many times recently.

RRSimon

Postby RRSimon » Fri 17. Mar 2017, 12:43

Hello Rockfax and wacom1,

Thank you both for your suggestions, I already had tried most of it (as this issue bothers me for quite a while).
I'm starting to think it might even be a hardware issue (defective pen sensors or similar).

Had replaced the tip and it seemed to help for a short while, but the issue always reappears:
Lifting up the pen i.e. from a slider input should result in a function as if one is hitting the Enter-key. Now, it just keeps the input field active and any movement of the pen (while lifting) constantly alters the slider input.
As Rockfax, I also very often encounter the issue that, when dragging i.e. a layer, this layer snaps back to its original position instead of falling to the chosen position when lifting up the pen. This may repeat constantly so that it's more reliable to just grab the mouse and use it for that task.

I also don't use Application specific settings, just a general set up which suits me well.
My mouse setting is usually at the highest level, but setting the pen to a harder then "Default" simply wouldn't work for me.
In fact, I prefer a "softer" setting (working more "light-handed").
It's no Sierra issue (El Capitan here) and I also encountered this in earlier versions of OSX (in fact, input devices seemed more cumbersome for me since OSX Lion).

Thank you wacom1 for the hint about the "pressure detection even if the pen does not touch the tablet" situation:
I actually found the Eraser-tip with that behaviour. As it is impossible to set it up to only work while touching the tablet surface, I now deactivated the Eraser functionality to evaluate if that will help (luckily it does not interfere with my workflow as I'm using keyboard shortcuts anyway).

I also have started to use the pen in Applications "outside" Photoshop just to see if it probably is linked to that Application only (or probably a general Adobe/Wacom/Apple issue). So far I had not experienced this issue in other Applications, but I think it may be just to early to draw a conclusion out of that. (I will update this post/thread in a while if I think I've found something)

In the meantime, thank you both for your efforts and time,
cheers, Roger

Return to “Pen Tablets”