Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

About ARM architecture-based computer support:
Check our FAQ: Does the Wacom driver support ARM architecture-based computers?

Intuos Pro L (PTH860P) unstable

Intuos, Intuos Pro, Bamboo, Graphire, etc.
motiondude

Intuos Pro L (PTH860P) unstable

Postby motiondude » Thu 25. Mar 2021, 16:57

Hey there, my Intuos Pro L (PTH860P) is getting more and more unstable. For me it's unclear whether this is a hardware or a software issue. Let me first describe the symptoms followed by steps already taken.

Symptoms
• Moving files around the desktop with Finder can result in opening them, or not moving but selecting other files in the neighbourhood.
• Moving a document window (e.g. Pages/Numbers etc or a Finder window can result in flowing into the dock (cmd-m) or gets resized.
• Moving files from one folder to another can result in opening them, or not moving but selecting other files above and below in list view.
• Resizing a document window can result in flowing the document in in the dock (cmd-m).
• Selecting text never was a strong feature but now a complete mess.
• Touching a file could directly open it.
• Right clicking is buggy.
• Scrolling in Safari was never a good experience, now its far worse.
• Indesign becomes almost unusable, selecting opens the move dialog box etc.

Steps already taken
• Uninstalled the driver and ALL related files manually, 3 times and reinstalled.
• Installed an older driver (6.4.41-2), lower isn't accepted by the installer dialog.
• Installed the driver with and without the tablet connected.
• Logged in as another user, same issues.
• Booted in safe mode and repaired permissions, 2 times.
• Zapped P-Ram
• NOT installed the Inkspace-app as this can sometimes be the culprit of errors.
• Adjusted mouse pref-settings for double clicking.
• Changed nibs, 3 times.
• Cleaned the tablet surface.
• Tested against an Apple mouse, no issues with the mouse.

System
MacPro 5,1 12c -3.46 Ghz/96 Gb
OSX 10.13.6 (latest security updates)
Intuos Pro is connected through USB.

As I did a clean install of the driver 3 times I wonder if this could be a hardware problem. As for suggestions, upgrading my OS is NOT an option. Both from experience (I've had issues that remained after upgrading) and the fact that my videocard is badly supported by 10.14. Any ideas? That would be lovely, thanks.

motiondude

Re: Intuos Pro L (PTH860P) unstable

Postby motiondude » Mon 29. Mar 2021, 10:15

I did a very thorough check on my system and can't really find anything out of the ordinary. However, I get the feeling that it could be the pen that gives these issues. I have to press really hard to overcome the erratic behaviour. Normally, with standard settings from the installation you already have really good behaviour. Now, I’ve set the tip sensitivity to the softest and even the I have to press really hard to get things done. Does that sound familiar?

motiondude

Postby motiondude » Thu 1. Apr 2021, 09:50

New insight: it's clearly a pen issue. I just tried to use the pen upside down and used the eraser as pen tip and voila: no issues! Everything seems to work fine: selecting, right clicking, moving, panning, zooming, resizing etc. That narrows it down. I should have tried this way sooner to rule out if it was the pen or the tablet itself.

So that leaves me with the questions:
• can the pen somehow be fixed? I already changed nibs a few time without any result.
• if not, how come a pen shy of 4 years old be broken that badly.

TIA

motiondude

Postby motiondude » Fri 9. Apr 2021, 15:16

I ordered a new pen and did some extensive testing. All the issues above are gone. The previous pen had let me down before but for a shorter period and in a lesser degree. And I didn't even travel with it. Hopefully the new pen will last longer. I even have an old Intuos 2 that still works without problems, so it's possible.

Today, a few day later, an old issue returned. While working in Pages the pen tip lost connection after a brief moment in idle. The solution is to use the eraser to make the pen responding again. Should this be tablet related as this happens with a brandnew pen and the tablet is connected though usb? TIA.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Thu 15. Apr 2021, 09:08

motiondude wrote:I ordered a new pen and did some extensive testing. All the issues above are gone. The previous pen had let me down before but for a shorter period and in a lesser degree. And I didn't even travel with it. Hopefully the new pen will last longer. I even have an old Intuos 2 that still works without problems, so it's possible.

Today, a few day later, an old issue returned. While working in Pages the pen tip lost connection after a brief moment in idle. The solution is to use the eraser to make the pen responding again. Should this be tablet related as this happens with a brandnew pen and the tablet is connected though usb? TIA.

Glad you found a solution to the first issue.
For the new issue, we had issues in the past with pages (selecting text was not possible) but this was fixed in a recent driver.
We would need you to contact the support team and provide some additional details so the driver team can check if this is a Wacom Driver issue or not.
Need immediate help? Contact our Support: https://support.wacom.com

motiondude

Postby motiondude » Thu 15. Apr 2021, 09:51

Thanks wacom5. I've noticed this is also the case with selecting text in Safari. Can you please inform me from which version on this issue was fixed? I currently run driver 6.3.41-2 and Pages 5.6.2. Thanks.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Fri 16. Apr 2021, 13:10

This was fixed after driver 6.3.33-5 - https://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsupport/ ... .3.33.html
Need immediate help? Contact our Support: https://support.wacom.com

motiondude

Postby motiondude » Fri 16. Apr 2021, 13:50

Thanks wacom 5. However, my situation seems to prove otherwise as I'm running driver 6.3.41-2 with these issues still happening.

Return to “Pen Tablets”