Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/
Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Pen not working after Mac OSX update June 2019:
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4011

Why is the cursor on Windows a white dot or crosshairs?
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4013#p8912

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Beta:
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guideId=015-916

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you wondering which software to choose, check the trial versions below:

Is my Wacom Intuos 4M completely ruined?

Intuos, Intuos Pro, Bamboo, Graphire, etc.
mechanicarts

Is my Wacom Intuos 4M completely ruined?

Postby mechanicarts » Wed 28. Dec 2016, 20:09

I haven't used my tablet in a while. Today, I had to draw something for work, and pulled out my tablet. Now my tablet has travelled a lot, but always worked without a hitch, plus I keep it stored in a pretty thick foam pouch to protect it. So I connected my tablet to Windows (already had drivers installed) and tried to work on photoshop. Oh the mess. First, the pen was buggy. Somehow, when I tap on the surface it also presses the lower side button (Pan/Scan for me). Then the tablet read strokes from other points in the surface that I did not click. Then it started cutting off parts of my stroke, and eventually (after driver reinstalls, photoshop preference clear, reboots etc) it has settled in this.

Mind you, this is not in specific parts of the tablet (so I think it's not that just some parts of the tablet have lost sensitivity). I don't think there's a problem with the surface at all. It must be either a problem with the pen or communication with the computer. I also tried another painting program online, and the problem is there too.

I have Photoshop CS6, Windows 10, Driver 6.3.19-3 for Intuos (latest).

Any suggestions?

wacom1

Re: Is my Wacom Intuos 4M completely ruined?

Postby wacom1 » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 08:57

Could be a problem with pen pressure. Open the tablet properties panel, select About -> Info and check 'pressure' in the right column while moving the pen - you can also see pressure under the tip feel slider. If that is intermittent, we know it is in the pen hardware. I would pull out the nib, wipe it clean and push it back in or use another nib - sometime a nib is stuck and not moving properly. It is also a good idea to test with the eraser end of the pen.

mechanicarts

Postby mechanicarts » Sun 1. Jan 2017, 21:42

I tried a different nib but no luck. Eraser works fine, but I didn't test pressure. I live in a pretty humid environment so I thought maybe there was some condensation on the chip after being left unused for long. I disassembled the pen and left it exposed to warm room temperature for several minutes. After I reassembled it, it worked fine for a few strokes, but returned back to its faulty operation soon after. I hope this gives you some insight to the problem.

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Mon 2. Jan 2017, 13:15

This sounds like a problem with the pen (and not the tablet). If in warranty, send it for repair or contact our technical support. - I haven't seen such a problem - could be a bad contact for one of the internal components. Usually we just replace faults pens within the warranty period.

mechanicarts

Postby mechanicarts » Wed 4. Jan 2017, 17:07

Unfortunately it's been 5 years since I bought the tablet, and either way I've misplaced the receipt. As I saw the pen alone costs ~100€, approx the same as a new lower-spec tablet. Is there a cheaper alternative than the wacom grip that will work with the old intuos4 m?

wacom1

Postby wacom1 » Thu 5. Jan 2017, 08:40

For Intuos4 you need a KP- version pen like KP-501E Grip pen, but also the Classic pen or Intuos5 Pro pen would work. Lowest price in the eStore is about 80 Euro. - If you have opened the pen already, you could try to swap the ferrit cores between pentip and eraser side, in case the problem is in the ferrit core.

mechanicarts

Postby mechanicarts » Sat 7. Jan 2017, 09:52

I'm kind of confused. I tinker a lot, but I am not familiar with names and parts. The ferrite core is the red coil twine? I'm not around it at the moment, but I remember seeing two of those, I think front and back.

Is it the one at the left of the image?

mechanicarts

Postby mechanicarts » Thu 12. Jan 2017, 15:35

The ferrite cores are both intact (in contrast with most guides I've seen about replacement). Even so, how would I remove the wires(?) from the chip without breaking them?

Return to “Pen Tablets”