Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/

Windows 10 Fall 2018 Update:
Updating to the newest Windows 10 Fall update? Wacom has identified a few issues within the latest update. Pan/Scroll is not working correctly in some applications. Also, Modifier Clicks do not work when assigned to pen buttons or ExpressKeys, see the screenshot below. The Wacom driver team has submitted a bug report with Microsoft for these issues and will continue to work with them until it is fixed. More information can be found here: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?gui ... c301868667

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave Driver Update:
Upgrading to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? A new driver has been released. Check the Wacom Desktop Center for the update notice. However, a new Mac OSX security feature requires some additional changes to run the Wacom Driver correctly. Please see the instructions found on our support page here. Also, If you have any issues, please try a clean driver install. Follow the steps here.

Wacom Drivers:
November 2018: New driver released for Mac (Driver 6.3.31-6) with various bugfixes. Download drivers and release notes here: http://www.wacom.com/support/product-support/drivers

Inkspace App Updates: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1949#p5742

Google Chrome - Clicking issues:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guid ... ListPage-1

Registration
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?:https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?guideTitle=How-do-I-register-my-Wacom-device%2525253F&guideId=4244ade8-634a-433c-88b4-31d83e63226c

Cintiq Pro 24, Power Saving

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
spiteyourface

Cintiq Pro 24, Power Saving

Postby spiteyourface » Sun 28. Oct 2018, 10:51

Hi, I find firing up my machine a real problem with the Cintiq Pro 24.

The problem, basically, is that the Cintiq looks for a signal, scanning through Displayport, HDMI, and USB, then holds for about 15 seconds or so before going into Power Saving Mode. My machine takes much longer than 15 seconds to start up, so it turns into a bit of a guessing game as to when to switch on the Cintiq for that 15 seconds to line up with the sweet spot where the computer is looking to recognise it. I can't just turn everything on and walk away, I have to sit perched over the startup bar like I'm playing Guitar Hero or something, waiting for the right cue, or just keep turning the device back on like three or four times.

If I blow it, and let the Cintiq sleep through the crucial loading period, then while the machine will still find and load the device as a monitor, it might 'forget' that it has the drivers installed and disable the pen. Then I have to restart to get everything back in order, but I have to restart right. It's ridiculous.

This would all go away, I'm certain, if I could just change the settings so that the device remains 'awake' with 'no signal' for two minutes or more before going into 'Power Saving Mode'. But I can find no information on how to change this. If I can't, that's a serious design flaw.

wacom5

Re: Cintiq Pro 24, Power Saving

Postby wacom5 » Mon 29. Oct 2018, 11:32

Have you tried:
Open Wacom Display Settings > Advanced > Energy Smart: OFF

spiteyourface

Postby spiteyourface » Mon 29. Oct 2018, 17:39

It shows Energy Smart as already being Off. Indeed the Cintiq does not 'sleep' once it has started.

But the problem is with how long the device searches for a signal upon activation before switching itself off again, which I guess isn't tied to the Energy Smart function? As it stands I have to play whack-a-mole with the startup progress bar on my first monitor in order to have the startup process 'catch' the 15 or so seconds that the Cintiq is trying to communicate for.

Hopefully there is a setting for this, because otherwise it's something that needs fixing with a firmware update.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Tue 30. Oct 2018, 11:08

This is very strange. Normally you should be able to power on your computer and then power up the Cintiq and it should be picked up by the computer and the Wacom driver immediately. The whole behaviour is very abnormal. I have also tried to reproduce this with a different Cintiq Pro 24 and it behaved normally as expected.

spiteyourface

Postby spiteyourface » Tue 30. Oct 2018, 20:57

When you say 'behaved normally' what do you mean? Do you mean to say that you start up the computer, then turn on the Wacom at the same time, and that when the computer has finished booting that it finds the Wacom?
Or do you mean turning on the Wacom after the computer has already booted, that it automatically finds it?
Because these are two different things.

Many computers take more than a minute or two to start-up/restart, most take more than 15 or 20 seconds, and they find the various connected devices and engage with them at different stages along that boot process.

The issue here is that the Cintiq only searches for a signal for a few seconds (15/20) before going back to sleep, so I have to make it 'catch' the moment where the computer is searching for additional monitors, which is a specific late point in the process.

If I could turn on the Cintiq and have it just sit there searching for a signal indefinitely, then I wouldn't have to participate in trying to matchmake the two devices beyond turning them both on, but since it goes back to sleep after 15 seconds, I'm pulled into this rigamarole.

Are you suggesting that the device your end does not power down after 15/20 seconds? Can you not recreate this much, either by turning off the attached computer or disconnecting it? Because if you can confirm that this is, in fact, how the device is set by default, then my question remains... how can I extend the time it searches for a signal?

And if I just turn on the device after the machine has already started up, it can be sketchy about loading the drivers (probably because I also have an Intuos attached, so if startup finds one and not the other, it tends to only load the drivers for the former, whereas if both are on during startup it loads both. Behavior here is inconsistent.) The driver problem is it's own problem (yes, all are up to date) but I'm confident I can work around it if only the Cintiq would stay awake for longer.

spiteyourface

Postby spiteyourface » Fri 2. Nov 2018, 11:50

The problem I'm experiencing is not abnormal, it is an inherent flaw of the way this product operates. It should have been manufactured to work in the same way as any other type of monitor. It does not.

The way almost any other manufacture of monitor works is this: the monitor is 'always on' in the sense that so long as it is connected to the computer then the computer will recognise it, but in addition it usually has a 'power button' that is really just an on/off switch for the actual screen, designed to save electricity on illumination. On an ordinary monitor a person will be able to switch the monitor 'on and off' without the monitor going absent from the system and thereby, for instance, reconfiguring a multi-screen workspace every time you 'turn it off'.

On the Cintiq Pro 24, the one and only button that powers off the display, also puts the device to sleep that disconnects it from the system looking for it. So I can't for instance power the Cintiq down for 5 minutes, or 5 seconds, to save energy while I'm not directly using it or just to shut the fan up, without doing so reconfiguring my workspace in all other attached monitors. Instead, every time I turn it off it changes up my entire system, and then again when I turn it on. As if every single time I illuminate it it is the first time the device had been attached.

The startup problem described in my OP is only a manifestation of this.

spiteyourface

Postby spiteyourface » Mon 5. Nov 2018, 18:13

Anyone?

Wacom5 can you please describe "normal as expected" since I have no frame of reference outside of how this specific device is behaving and there is no manual to defer to. There's next to nothing in any of the online support about either multiscreen behavior or behavior in how the device looks for a signal.

If I turn the device off, at the button, it disconnects from the system. That is, it removes itself from the listed devices in System Preferences, and changes the screen configuration back to single monitor. The menus associated with those things disappear or grey out.
If I turn it back in, it reconnects all those things again and changes the monitor layout again.

I can't know if this behavior is normal or not, but I would prefer if it didn't disconnect in the first place and there was an option to power it down (to save energy) but in a way that the system remembers it's there (ie, I can save electricity sometimes without all my open software shifting over into one screen).

Because the behavior is inconsistent because it's a lot to remember each time and sometimes the system gets confused. It might switch the other monitors to the wrong resolution, or forget the pen. Especially if it didn't load the settings at startup. Which is why I would prefer if it looked for a signal for more than a few moments.

This might be an inherent shortfall of trying to only have one button for everything, but it feels like something could be added to a driver or firmware update? Or maybe it's supposed to work as I would prefer but it's having a problem with the operating system?

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Tue 6. Nov 2018, 10:28

From what I haven been able to test, as long as the device in not OFF is on standby mode, it should wake up the moment a signal is received. I have tested this with 3 different connections - HDMI, DP and USB-C and the screen always woke up as long as it was on standby mode. However, in one of our test devices, I was somehow able to replicate what you are experiencing. It could be firmware issue so the team needs more details.
At this point you should contact the customer support team: https://support.wacom.com/

spiteyourface

Postby spiteyourface » Thu 8. Nov 2018, 00:09

Just to be clear before I do that, what do you understand to be the difference between 'Off' and 'standby mode''?
Because this device has precisely one button, and whatever you call that button, what I am describing here relates to the two states that button can be in/produce. I would call those states 'on' and 'off' based on the behavior.

Beyond pressing that button, the only other thing I would know to do is unplug it. I don't know how to put it to 'sleep' and it's certainly never been 'woken' by a connected device powering up. I have to press the button. I could restart the connected computer a hundred times and the Cintiq would never 'wake up' unless I press the button first.

Is that normal?

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Thu 8. Nov 2018, 11:13

The device will be OFF when there is not LED presence on top of the device. When the device is on Standby mode, there should be a White LED on top pulsating slowly. This indicates that the device is "idle" or "asleep". The device will enter this state if after being turned on, there is no video signal.
It is In this state, the device should react to an external signal and "wake up".

I just tested the same device with which I was able to replicate the issue the other day and it woke up when I plugged in a USB-C to USB-C using a MacBook Pro 2017 and when I used DisplayPort on a MacBook Pro late 2012. I used different cables this time. I think the cables I used before were not the best...

Further investigation seems to indicate that his could be an issue with the cables you are using, with the settings of your BIOS, or with the settings of your graphics card.

The behaviour you are seeing is not normal but I have no reason to believe that the Cintiq Pro 24 is defective.

Digging deeper I found other customers with similar issues with other branded displays. This seems to match the issues you described: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8120743

Some articles suggested this could also help in certain cases: http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-and-how-to-reset-your-mac-system-management-controller-smc/
and
http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/15/reset-pram-mac/

"Resetting SMC and NVRAM is a common troubleshooting trick for many odd power and display issues, and similar to the black screen on wake it will also fix most occurrences when a Mac boots to a black screen and is unresponsive on system start too."

I would give that a try.

Return to “Pen Displays”