Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Wacom Bamboo + Windows 8 = PROBLEMS

Wacom Bamboo + Windows 8 = PROBLEMS

Postby Pewterschmidt » Tue 18. Dec 2012, 02:26

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing serious driver-related problems with my Bamboo tablet (MTE-450A) on Windows 8.

1. When using the pen, the cursor doesn't become a simple dot, but stays the same like using the mouse (well, that's just ugly, but only an optical problem)

2. When activating a text field, often the on screen keyboard does not show up - and even worse, I can't use the handwriting area - either I can't even select it or, if I can, it is not possible to write. - as soon as I take the pen off the tablet, the drawn line disappears and no letter or word was recognized. - the same thing happens when using the mouse

3. when I move the cursor over the on-screen keyboard, using the pen, it disappears. If I use the mouse it is there...

So all the tablet and pen is good for at the moment (in Windows 8) is being a terrible mouse substitute!

I am using driver version 530.3 an I have also tried previous versions.

!!!The strange thing is that the Bamboo worked flawlessly a few months ago with Windows 8 Customer Preview!!!
(since then I didn't use Win8 until now, so I can't say, when the drivers became so messed up)

Ps: Yes I did try uninstalling the drivers, deleting all remaining driver-related files, manually uninstalling the tablet in the device manager and restarting my PC at least a hundred times.
Pewterschmidt

Re: Wacom Bamboo + Windows 8 = PROBLEMS

Postby Wacom » Tue 18. Dec 2012, 10:03

Check that you have the TabletPC Input Service running (now renamed as 'Service for Pen and Touchscreen..'). This is the Windows service handling the handwriting recognition with the data from the tablet. And make sure that the tablet driver is running (by opening the Bamboo tablet properties panel).
Wacom

Postby Pewterschmidt » Wed 19. Dec 2012, 17:45

Thanks for your reply
I can't seem to be able to find out whether or not the TabletPC Input Service is running properly. But in the task manager in the service tab, the "tablet input service" is running.
Also I found that in "control panel" > "tablet pc settings" or "pen and touch", the handwriting options aren't there at all?! In Windows 7 this is where the settings for handwriting recognition were...

also I am running a 64bit, Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation system.
Pewterschmidt

Postby Wacom » Thu 20. Dec 2012, 11:02

I suggest to use the previous driver version (5.25) in this case. That works with Win8 unless you use the wireless connection.
Wacom

Postby Loek » Mon 31. Dec 2012, 18:15

Pewterschmidt wrote:3. when I move the cursor over the on-screen keyboard, using the pen, it disappears. If I use the mouse it is there...

I have the same issue using Windows 8 Pro 32-bit and the 530-3 drivers with a CTH-470.
Loek

Postby safehaven » Wed 2. Jan 2013, 22:01

Thank you for the suggestion to install the previous Windows 7 version of the driver - even though I'm using Windows 8. That certainly did the trick for me, and I am now able to operate the functions I need without a delay / lag. I can use Portrait Professional again and also Videopad via the Bamboo fun tablet.

Many thanks, and hopefully it won't be too long before we get a proper Windows 8 driver update. In the meantime version 5.25 has indeed saved the day. I made sure that I uninstalled the previous version first (via Control Panel), and rebooted before attempting to install the 5.25 driver.
safehaven

Postby safehaven » Sat 21. Dec 2013, 03:13

New Driver now available for Windows that fixes the problem. Remember to switch off Windows Ink feature from Wacom Preferences after installing the brand new driver.
safehaven

Return to Bamboo

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu