Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Wacom Digitizer UD-1218-R problem

Wacom Digitizer UD-1218-R problem

Postby guyot » Tue 9. Dec 2008, 20:20

Hello,

I have a Wacom Digitizer II UD-1218-R and have been using it for quit some time without any problems. However, recently it suddenly stopped working completely. I checked all connections and since I haven't changed anything in the software that cannot be the problem. When I switch on my tablet the status light flashes orange/red once and then nothing happens and the tablet does not react on the pen or mouse. Can anybody tell me how I can get my digitizer to work again?

Guyot
guyot

Re: Wacom Digitizer UD-1218-R problem

Postby Wacom » Wed 10. Dec 2008, 10:58

There is not much that you can do. We stopped selling these tablet models about 10 years ago and cannot repair them anymore. You could check that the powersupply works. And you could
open the tablet (through the screws on the backside) and have a look inside. There are two boards inside. In case of a power surge or use of a wrong power supply you may see a burnt (black) part on the smaller board near the cable connector. This is a zener diod protecting against wrong power. If that is the only part burnt it can help to scratch it off from the board.
Wacom

Postby osiris » Fri 9. Oct 2009, 20:22

I actually have this problem with the zener diode. Can you give me any spec about the diode so that I can buy a replacement? Unfortunately what was printed on it is unreadable because of the burn.
Thanks in advance
osiris

Postby Wacom » Mon 12. Oct 2009, 08:38

I do not have any details on the diod and as far as I know, our repair center always replaced the complete boards, since also other components were sometimes affected. It often helped to scratch off the diod and make sure that the only correct power supply is used (9-12V, 200mA, center-minus polarity).
Wacom

Postby garrooo » Fri 6. Nov 2009, 05:30

I've experienced a similar problem on a newer model: Bamboo Fun Medium (CTE650W)
A power surge had burnt out the zener diode at the +5V usb terminal on the tablet.

After searching around for the zener diode with part manufacturer markings "E2", I found it easier to just tug the diode off the board and the tablet works like a charm again.

Thanks wacom for a thorough design with voltage protection. Otherwise the tablet would have suffered from many more burnt parts.

GT
garrooo

Return to Others