Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Intuos 4 wireless problems

Intuos 4 wireless problems

Postby derekm » Mon 12. Apr 2010, 23:59

I have just purchessed an Intuos4 wireless. I have installed the latest drivers(6.15.3) for Windows XP.

If I connect the tablet using USB it works fine as a tablet and all the oleds light correctly.

If I connect the tablet using bluetooth it starts in mouse mode and neither the jog light or oleds are lit. If I use the tablet preference utility to remove user preferences the tablet starts working as a tablet and the jog wheel light illuminates, however the button oleds remain off.

If I turn the tablet off and on again while using it wirelessly it reverts back to mouse mode and I need to go through the process of removing user preferences again to make it at least partially functional.

I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling drivers but that does not help.

I have tried turning off my wireless mouse but that did not help.

When I initially installed the drivers I selected left hand operation. The driver seems to remember that choice even through uninstalls and removing user preferences.

I previously have an Intuos3 so would have had older drivers installed initially.

Can anyone help getting this tablet to work properly in wireless mode. The fact that it works fine when connected via USB makes me think it is a software/driver issue rather than a hardware issue.
derekm

Re: Intuos 4 wireless problems

Postby Wacom » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 09:34

When you install the driver from CD, it saves the selected handedness in a special file tabletdefaults xml file in SYSTEM32. This is not removed during uninstall, so that the settings is kept. This is intended, but should not cause a problem. - After removing the preference files, the driver restarts. Can you then open the tablet properties panel ?

The problem might depend on your Bluetooth dongle software. Especially with a dongle using BlueSoleil software the tablet connects but can operate in mouse mode only and does not get pen pressure. We recommend using the standard Windows Bluetooth software.
Wacom

Postby muchoman613 » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 11:21

i also have the exact same problem with my recently purchased Intuos 4 wireless tablet i am using a Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 USB UHE Dongle with WIDCOMM bluetooth Software version 5.5.0.7800

I recently brought it after trying a BlueSoleil Bluetooth dongle and reading the forums here about it being incompadible. Also with the Express keys function when you select Express Keys Top or Bottom shoulds the OLED be switched from a vertically display to a horizontal display since your using the tablet in a vertical position
muchoman613

Postby derekm » Tue 13. Apr 2010, 19:15

My system is a Dell XPS M1710 with a "Dell Wireless 355 Module with Bluetooth 2.0 + FDR"
It is using driver version 5.0.1.2609 which seems to be the latest. Windows says the providor is Broadcom corporation but WIDCOMM was mentioned when I was updating the drivers.

When I turn on the tablet and it connects via bluetooth I can open the tablet properties but the tablet is in mouse mode. The tablet properties does not show pen pressure.
If I use the preferences utility to remove preferences I get a tablet not connected error (presumably as the driver is restarted), then the tablet works as a tablet. The oleds for the buttons will not light up however.

So there appears to be 2 issues.
1. The need to force the driver to restart after the tablet is connected via bluetooth.
2. Button oleds do not light up when the tablet is connected via bluetooth.
derekm

Postby Wacom » Wed 14. Apr 2010, 13:24

I cannot say, why it does not behave normal in your case. The Oleds turn off rather quickly in battery power mode, the not in use. (They change for left and right, but are not supposed to reorient in top or bottom orientation.) Resetting the preferences is probably not needed, perhaps a restart of the driver (the service TabletServiceWacom) is enough.
Wacom

Postby muchoman613 » Thu 15. Apr 2010, 20:12

i have tried to reinstall the driver again still the same problem, i have also stop and started the TabletServiceWacom a few times then reconnect to the bluetooth still the same problem, i have reinstalled the bluetooth software and drivers and still the same problem. I would really like to know whats wrong with the OLED not lighting up its becoming very frustrating having a function that doesn't work especially when the wacom intuos 4 wireless is more expensive then the usb version, and the whole point of the product is that you are able to use it wireless with all the functions working. I hope the Wacom team can fix this problem
muchoman613

Postby svede » Fri 16. Apr 2010, 03:43

I have absolutly the same problems with my Intuos 4 wireless. It is only responding in mouse mode when I am connecting via bluetooth - none of the Oleds are turned on. So I contacted the support because I suspected that my bluetooth dongle had been the problem. I asked the Wacom support to recommend a usb bluetooth tonlge that they tested to be working. After I finally bought the Wacom recommended hardware I hoped that I will never have this problem again - but this is absolutely not the case!!! The Intuos 4 wireless is still only connecting in mouse mode. Finally I have the feeling that it is not a problem with the bluetooth dongle (I bought the hardware Wacom recommended!!!!) but with the driver. I deinstalled and reinstalled the driver approximatly 10 to 15 times on 3 different computers, so I am really frustrated.

I hope Wacom will fix this problem.

Best wishes,
Svede
svede

Postby sungoshine » Fri 16. Apr 2010, 08:55

Just a week ago I was told by Wacom there weren't any big issues reported on this new wireless product. Now I see complaints trickling in. Although I was running the tablet on a Mac with OS 10.6.2/10.6.3 I couldn't get it to work properly either (some oleds on/off, sluggishness etc). My thread is down on the second page.

To this point my reseller has narrowed it down to a driver issue as well. And not a hardware fault. All the solutions from Wacom on this forum haven't lead to any substantial solution so far. Which means something more than leaving buyers frustrated opening, closing, resetting, trashing and reinstalling drivers a million times or more. I mean 400 euros for that? This piece of kit should work flawlessly for that kind of money.
sungoshine

Postby Wacom » Fri 16. Apr 2010, 11:53

Driver bugs are not covered by a warranty. Of course, we fix serious issues, that prohibit the use of the device as soon as possible. But we do not garantee that there is no bug at all.

The OLEDs are supposed to switch off quickly in battery mode in order to save battery power as much as possible, but they should not be off all the time unless that is set in the driver configuration. Since we do not see this problem here (tested in OSX), we have to find out the reason. As the OLEDs work ok in cable mode on your units, the hardware seems ok. The driver can control the OLED brightness and could turn them off. But resetting the driver gets it back to default behaviour. So that is one thing we advice.

I could imagine that the OLEDs are not very bright if the battery power is low, but still you should see a difference when the pen comes unto the tablet and the power saving is off.

The I4 WL is supported in driver versions 6.13, 6.14 and 6.15. Did you test it with different drivers ?
Wacom

Postby svede » Fri 16. Apr 2010, 14:13

Dear Wacom,

thank you for your quick response.

Concerning the OLEDs it is not the software that reduces the OLEDs brightness, because if the tablet is conneceted and only recognized in "mouse mode" via bluetooth I cannot even start the software to configure the tablet. The tablet works absolutely fine in the cable mode.

I have also to report a new phenommenon, maybe it will help to figure out the problem. I have tried the tablet on 5 different computers now (all XP SP3) and finally it worked with one of them via bluetooth. But as soon as I started to individualize my tablet keys I am not able to reconnect it, it stays in the mouse mode only. Rebooting and reinstallation had no effect on this.

I will give thte other drivers a try on the weekend. Maybe they will work for me.

Best wishes,
Bernhard
svede

Next

Return to Intuos / Intuos Pro

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu