Wacom Customer Support page: https://support.wacom.com/
Wacom Product Resources - Drivers, Manuals, Warranty Information & Others

Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Support:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-916
NOTE: Apple already released an update of 10.15 which solves some of these issues. Please make sure you have the latest update.

Why is the cursor on Windows a white dot or crosshairs? [FIXED]:
https://www.wacom.com/en-de/support?guideId=015-661

Product Registration:
Please register our products on https://www.wacom.com/register
How do I register my Wacom device?

Drawing software:
If you wondering which software to choose, check the trial versions below:

Cintiq24pro 8 bit only???

Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
mikycoud

Re: Cintiq24pro 8 bit only???

Postby mikycoud » Wed 18. Sep 2019, 05:13

Hi, sorry for the late reply, the wife made me take some time away from my computer (aka holidays :-)
Anyway, yep, plenty of difference between my Nec (true 10bit display) and the cintiq 24 pro.
Then again, the Nec costs more than the cintiq, and it's "only" a display.
It's really obvious on gradients (especially monochromatic ones),where unwanted, contaminating hues are noticeable on the Wacom and not on the Nec. Also, banding is present on the Wacom, though I would say that forcing 10bits in the nvidia drivers does make things better there. (Though not close to Nec smoothness).
I suspect the wacom panel to be an 8 bit only display, with some frc-like technology to emulate a proper 10 bit display.
Also, the fact that it doesn't seem to be hardware calibratable (does such a word even exist?) says a lot about the technology used.
Anyway, the fact that you can force 10bit output in your drivers settings doesn't make sense, since you're using a geforce (non quadro) device which does not support 10 bit output via opengl.
So that shouldn't even be there to start with. Unless that setting is not referring to opengl bit output, but something else.
Anyway, you shouldn't see a difference on your setup whether or not this option is set to 8bit or 10bit.

All that being said, I find Wacom communication on that specific topic really opaque. I mean, is it really that hard for Wacom to give us some details about the tech used on their expensive, aimed at professional flagship product?

kangum

Postby kangum » Tue 24. Sep 2019, 01:05

It seems wacom is dodging this thread. Maybe it is 8 bit after all.

LogicBrain

Postby LogicBrain » Tue 8. Oct 2019, 14:18

kangum wrote:It seems wacom is dodging this thread. Maybe it is 8 bit after all.

Seems like it lol.

mikycoud wrote:Hi, sorry for the late reply, the wife made me take some time away from my computer (aka holidays :-)
Anyway, yep, plenty of difference between my Nec (true 10bit display) and the cintiq 24 pro.
Then again, the Nec costs more than the cintiq, and it's "only" a display.
It's really obvious on gradients (especially monochromatic ones),where unwanted, contaminating hues are noticeable on the Wacom and not on the Nec. Also, banding is present on the Wacom, though I would say that forcing 10bits in the nvidia drivers does make things better there. (Though not close to Nec smoothness).
I suspect the wacom panel to be an 8 bit only display, with some frc-like technology to emulate a proper 10 bit display.
Also, the fact that it doesn't seem to be hardware calibratable (does such a word even exist?) says a lot about the technology used.
Anyway, the fact that you can force 10bit output in your drivers settings doesn't make sense, since you're using a geforce (non quadro) device which does not support 10 bit output via opengl.
So that shouldn't even be there to start with. Unless that setting is not referring to opengl bit output, but something else.
Anyway, you shouldn't see a difference on your setup whether or not this option is set to 8bit or 10bit.

All that being said, I find Wacom communication on that specific topic really opaque. I mean, is it really that hard for Wacom to give us some details about the tech used on their expensive, aimed at professional flagship product?

I was able to tryout a Nec Love them, but the HZ is to low for me. Gotta wait till a faster one comes out. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Pen Displays”