Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Bamboo pen and touch annoying light?

Bamboo pen and touch annoying light?

Postby robin1232 » Thu 16. Dec 2010, 17:35

I just bought a Bamboo Pen and Touch, but that light it has is very annoying, especially since it changes colours all the time and it adds absolutely nothing.
Is there any way to disable it or else I might even return it to the store.
robin1232

Re: Bamboo pen and touch annoying light?

Postby Wacom » Fri 17. Dec 2010, 11:18

You cannot disable the LED. - The LED color should be white normally and become brighter when touching the tablet. The LED color should be red when pentip or eraser are detected in tablet proximity and it should show a brighter red, when touching the tablet with the pen.

That is the normal behaviour and designed to give you some feedback about the tablet status. If the LED flickers or goes On/Off all the time, something is wrong.
Wacom

Postby penandsword » Sun 23. Jan 2011, 08:13

I completely agree with robin1232 - that light on the pad is annoying. It adds nothing to usability although I can easily imagine it helps with debugging. So it is definitely appropriate for product development (and yes, they got very used to it and "thought" it would help everyone). It does not. This device is trying to create a haptic experience and the light slows down that adaptation. You're looking at the screen and trying to manipulate the pen/tablet/fingers and you're constantly distracted by that light flashing its little mode changes in your peripheral vision. The point is not to look at the tablet, the point is to look at the screen, so what's with the light? What a pain.

Please give us an option to disable the light. It can't be that much to ask for. Leave the light, keep its current behavior for people that find it useful, but give those that find it annoying and a total distraction a way to completely disable it. Or can you? I assumed you had the ability to update the code that flashes the light but maybe it's in firmware that isn't updateable?

Brighter, flashing, white, red, how about having it talk to us in Morse code? :)

The technical staff at Wacom are incredible and they make great technology. Hopefully they know how to listen to the customer.
penandsword

Postby miner » Mon 24. Jan 2011, 08:03

Yeah, the light is indeed very annoying. It doesn't have anything to offer me at all, thus I'd really would like to see a option to disable it, unless if its something you can't control with drivers.
miner

Postby Wacom » Mon 24. Jan 2011, 14:47

Sorry, you cannot disable the light - you could only cover it with something. It is a status light like various status lights in your car or numerous other electrical devices. The status light has four states, indicating the tablet is getting power, detecting touch or detecting the pen.
Wacom

Postby penandsword » Sat 29. Jan 2011, 21:52

Cover it with something? It has four states? That's all very nice but what the customer base is asking for is a driver/firmware update that allows the light to be disabled. Covering it is very tricky on the pen+touch unit as there are buttons adjacent to it on both sides. Maybe Wacom could make a Bamboo bumper that would shield the light from the user ala the iPhone antennagate bumper?

This sounds like a classic example of a company with strong technical capabilities but weak marketing capabilities.

I suppose I could use a micro drill and drill out the light similar to a root canal process...
penandsword

Postby Wacom » Mon 31. Jan 2011, 13:24

The status light is required for proper control of the tablet. Basically any electrical equipment has such a power light for obvious reasons. Without a light you would not know, if the device is On or Off and if the device is working or not. - If the LED does not come on, the tablet is defect. We have no plan to change that. When using the tablet you look at the screen and not at the tablet. If something is not working, the first look is at the tablet to check, that it is On.
Wacom

Postby Nefatari » Sat 5. Feb 2011, 14:13

To be honest, I'm glad of the light...
Why can't you just be grateful you have a bamboo and stop complaining about it!
It's there for a reason, to tell you that your bamboo is working correctly and functioning stably, just get over it! It's ONLY a little LED light and if it's so distracting maybe what's on your screen is boring you?
Wacom is right, you'll be happy about the LED if your tablet goes wrong...
Nefatari

Postby JBob » Sat 27. Aug 2011, 02:46

Edit: You know what, I take what I said back. I don't really care about the LED, and it even looks kind of cool. I'm really glad you went with "mellow white" over "blinding blue". Thanks for a great product! I'm so glad someone recommended this to me when I mentioned the battery-powered one from you know who.
JBob

Postby L-Dani » Fri 2. Sep 2011, 13:18

I'm also happy about the light, but I think there is one little flaw in the behaviour of it:
When you have disabled Touch Input the white light should stay dimmed when you touch the surface. Because its always flashing e.g. when you type something and have your palms on the surface.
L-Dani

Return to Bamboo

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu