Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Bamboo Pen&Touch CTH-470 Driver Problem

Bamboo Pen&Touch CTH-470 Driver Problem

Postby Recage » Tue 22. Nov 2011, 12:02

I am experiencing problems with the installation of the driver of the Bamboo Pen&Touch CTH-470. OS is Win7 64bit and the tablet is connected via USB2.0 cable.

The hardware of the tablet is working fine. When booting the computer, the tablet is detected by the bios and the bios GUI can be controlled via the tablet. Even within a virtual machine on the same computer, the tablet is detected and it is working properly with the newest driver 5.25. So the hardware is working properly.

However, in the normal OS I do not get the driver to work. Within the OS, I understand that there are two instances of the tablet driver (system mode driver for login and user mode driver for normal OS tasks after login). While booting Win7 (when the system driver is active), the tablet is functioning properly. However, as soon as Win7 tries to install the user mode driver from its default driver database, it tells me that the device driver was not installed successfully.
I have uninstalled this troublesome driver several times, deleted all files named wacom*.*, tablet*.*, pentab*.* and wintab*.* in SYSTEM32 and SYSWOW64. I have also deleted every instance of wacom* from the registry. I have turned the Tablet PC components on and off under Windows Features. However, installation of the driver still does not succeed.

I believe the problem is caused by some remaining parts of the driver that was originally installed from the accompanying CD. There are contradicting installation instructions within the manual. On the cardboard packaging, it tells you to install the driver from the CD first and to connect the tablet later. However, within the user manual, it tells you just the other way around (to connect the tablet first and then install the driver from the CD later). I followed the first instructions (installed the driver from CD and connected the tablet later). So I believe, there must be some remnant from the CD driver that can not be removed. Is there a way to completely remove the Wacom driver? Is there another solution to my problem?

Best regards, Recage
Recage

Re: Bamboo Pen&Touch CTH-470 Driver Problem

Postby Wacom » Tue 22. Nov 2011, 12:30

The tablet touch sensor has a mouse emulation, which is active when you are in BIOS or if no tablet driver is installed or active. In this situation only single finger touch works. The pen requires a running tablet driver and it needs a 'high speed' USB connection. - Unplug the tablet, uninstall the driver and restart Windows. Check in device manager for remaining Wacom entries, especially WacomVirtualHID under Human Interface Devices and remove all. Then attach the tablet directly to a USB port in the back of the machine - not through a hub or dockungstation. Windows should detect it as HID mouse device and device manager should indicate no problem. If all is ok, install the tablet driver and test it.
Wacom

Postby Recage » Tue 22. Nov 2011, 12:49

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply. That's exactly what I have been doing now a number of times. The tablet is connected directly to a USB 2.0 port via cable.
While Win7 is booting, the tablet is working for a few seconds (so I believe there must be a working driver installed). But then, Win7 believes, a driver needs to be installed again. Hence, it tries to install its default driver which never succeeds (possibly due to a driver already being in place) and the LED starts flashing white.
Recage

Postby Wacom » Tue 22. Nov 2011, 16:38

In BIOS and before login it works with the standard mouse driver. Afterwards it should work under control of the tablet driver. If Windows asks for a driver, it should be directed to the normal HID drivers (\WINDOWS\INF\hidserv.inf). Can you open the tablet properties panel ? Did you try to remove the settings with the tablet preference utility (Start menu -> programs -> Bamboo) ?
Wacom

Postby Recage » Wed 23. Nov 2011, 16:55

Thanks for the information. I have tried that already. However, after a reboot I still end up with Windows installing a driver for CTH-470 unsuccessfully. Device Manager shows the CTH-470 driver installed unsucessfully in the folder 'Other devices'. When I uninstall it, Windows keeps reinstalling it unsucessfully at the next reboot.
Installing the Bamboo 5.25 driver in addition to the non working CTH-470 driver works, but the tablet is not detected by this driver (white LED is flashing and tablet is non functional).

Would it help to disable automatic driver installation as described here http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... ows-vista/

Regards, Recage
Recage

Postby Wacom » Thu 24. Nov 2011, 11:00

I don't know, which driver Windows tries to install, if it is not the normal mouse/HID driver. You can deactivate the device in device manager or according to that documentation.
Wacom

Postby chris_peerman » Wed 25. Jan 2012, 15:11

I've also had the same problem. The CTH-470 device appeared in the Device Manager but Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) couldn't work out what driver it was. It turned out the it's the "USB Composite Driver" which needs to be installed if you have 'CTH-470' in your Device Manager. As I couldn't convince Windows to show me the driver when I was choosing drivers I copied the driver out from the following to my desktop and pointed Update Driver at it. It is all working fine now.

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_usb.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_291e6c652511ddb0
chris_peerman

Postby Recage » Sun 29. Jan 2012, 16:08

May I call you Jesus? That has solved the problem. Thank you so much.
How did you figure that out?

Best wishes, Recage
Recage

Return to Bamboo

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu