Please enable Javascript to visit our page. Sorry, our site is only available from a browser which accept Javascript.
Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu

Intuos 5 touch and Windows 8

Intuos 5 touch and Windows 8

Postby steven » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 17:26

How does the touch function of the Intuos 5 work together with Windows 8? Can I work with the Metro UI like if I had a tablet PC?
steven

Re: Intuos 5 touch and Windows 8

Postby dnmoqf » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 18:25

Current drivers are not yet adapted properly to Windows 8. So that the behavior is not optimal is not surprising. And it is only a Beta (Consumer Preview). The driver behaves more like a mouse emulated through touch. One of the more important features of Windows 8 touch interface swipe in from an edge does not work. Well not touch anyways. I got the top swipe in with the pen to work (not touch). This is understandable as the drivers are made for windows 7 and earlier. I tried these drivers because after the auto-install of drivers on windows 8 the touch tablet did not work. But hopefully they will make windows 8 drivers. But there are no guarantees. So in short currently the drivers are a disappointment for Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
Also you cannot scroll the page in internet explorer with one finger like a real windows 8 tablet and if you use two finger scroll? It of course does the unfortunate choice of scrolling in the reverse direction (same as in windows 7).
dnmoqf

Postby steven » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 19:23

Since you already own the Intuos 5, may I ask you some other question?
- How hard do you have to touch the tablet so that it recognizes a gesture?
- How hard do you have to press buttons?
- I never owned a touch pad. How does it interact with the fingers? Is it like absolute positioning with a pen? Or is is more like "mouse mode"?
steven

Postby dnmoqf » Sun 11. Mar 2012, 16:27

I am a hobbyist, and do a bit of doodling in my spare time. And calling it doodling is being nice. Urhm, well, anyways, I have not had that much time with the tablet yet, it just came out, and these impressions might change. I am referring to how I have experienced it under Windows 7 (since that what the released driver is for) using default settings. I have not had enough time to fiddle too much with the settings yet. So far I have used Corel applications (Photo-Paint, Painter, Draw). Also for browsing; Chrome, but I have tested some things in Internet Explorer 9 as well (especially when odd behaviours pop up).

- How hard do you have to touch the tablet so that it recognizes a gesture?

Hmm, how to describe this accurately with words... The touch has to be tuned so that you will not get too much extraneous input when changing from touch to pen and back. I feel like I can manipulate through touch without pressing to hard. However I feel a surface more like the Intuos3 would be better (smoother) for touch. Your fingers can catch and release more easily on the Intuos5 surface. Mostly this can be negated by using a lighter touch so to speak. That is less pressure. :)
Sometimes it's not the driver that is at fault; for example if you use pinch to zoom and the application you are using does not respond quickly you get a jerky experience zooming in and out. Also I have noticed little oddities like if you are trying to use two-finger scroll it can stop working if you go below a pressure point and you have to lift your fingers off the surface to get it to start scrolling again (just pressing harder will not work).
I also have some configuring to do for some of the Corel apps, things like adjusting the brush size via the scroll ring does not seem to work...

- How hard do you have to press buttons?
At least for now it feels like you have to maintain a bit too much pressure to be comfortably be doing that for a long period of time. Hopefully it will require less pressure after using the buttons for a time :(

- I never owned a touch pad. How does it interact with the fingers? Is it like absolute positioning with a pen? Or is is more like "mouse mode"?
Before I bought it I thought it would be like if you had an ipad without a screen that is absolute positioning (like a pen). However the current implementation is actually relative, i.e. more mouse like.
It feels like it has been made for people used to a Windows PC laptop touchpad rather than the ipad/iphone/windows 8 crowd.

Did I need to upgrade from Intuos3? Nope; just gadget lust. My thoughts were that it would be cool as a way into Windows 8 without smudging your screen. In that regard it's not been what I was hoping for. Note that I am not claiming that Wacom has made statements to the effect that they support this.
dnmoqf

Postby steven » Sun 11. Mar 2012, 17:47

Thank you for your detailed response! The way you describe the touch pressure that`s needed sounds like it doesn`t work as "natural" as let`s say an IPad, which reacts really perfect to your fingers.
What you say about the pressure that`s needed for the buttons confirms what I saw in a video where someone presented the tablet. Whenever he pressed a button, the tablet was bended a bit. You could see that he had to press rather hard.
And then let`s see, wether Wacom can improve the driver for Windows 8.
steven

Return to Intuos / Intuos Pro

Wacom Europe GmbH – Europark Fichtenhain A9 – D-47807 Krefeld – http://www.wacom.eu